Good 49º dark cloudy morning. We had rain on and off yesterday and some in the night. Less than 1/4" so far.
Throw Back Thursday.... Mrs. Rector and I, my 5th grade teacher... Sierra Park Grammar School in El Sereno (Los Angeles 90032)
The rain started early yesterday and I heard a lot of gobbling out back. Looked and Mr. Turkey was taking refuge from the rain on my patio! Sometimes those dumb birds get smart!
A couple deer were out when I went to take the mountain picture....
My yucca, the desert laugh, is blooming....
And my red hot pokers are blooming too....
Picture of the Day......
In the painting, American Gothic, the man is holding a pitchfork. In August 1930, Grant Wood, an American painter with European training, was driven around Eldon, Iowa, by a young painter from Eldon, John Sharp. Looking for inspiration, Wood noticed the Dibble House, a small white house built in the Carpenter Gothic architectural style. At that time, Wood first sketched the house on the back of an envelope.
In the fall of 1930, Wood entered a painting in a competition at the Art Institute of Chicago. The judges dismissed it as a trifling "comic valentine," but a powerful museum patron urged them to reconsider. So, they awarded Wood a third place bronze medal and $300. The Art Institute then acquired the painting for its collection. Now, the painting with the man and pitchfork is one of the most famous images in 20th century American art, and has been widely parodied in American popular culture.Wood worked on until February 1942 when he died of pancreatic cancer at age 50.
More Info: en.wikipedia.org
Asparagus Grilled Cheese Sandwich...
- 6-8 stalk asparagus (trimmed and cleaned)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 teaspoons grainy mustard
- 1 slice of cheese... swiss, mozzarella, jack, or whatever you like
- 2 slices of bread
- 1 tablespoon butter (room temperature)
- Toss the asparagus in the oil, salt and pepper.
- Arrange the asparagus in a single layer on a baking sheet.
- Roast in a preheated 400º oven until tender, about 10-30 minutes. (Note: Roasting time can vary greatly depending on how thick your asparagus is.)
- Butter the outside of each slice of bread, spread the mustard on the inside, sprinkle half of the cheese on one slice of bread, top with the asparagus, the remaining cheese and finally the other slice of bread.
- Heat a non-stick pan over medium heat, add the sandwich and grill until golden brown and the cheese has melted, about 2-4 minutes.
Historically this date........
1866 – The U.S. Congress eliminates the half dime coin and replaces it with the five cent piece, or nickel.
1868 – President Andrew Johnson is acquitted in his impeachment trial by one vote in the United States Senate.
And births this date include...
..........who was married to Henry Fonda once!
1955 – Debra Winger, American actress
All I know. Nuff said. Happy TBT. Ciao.
xo Sue Mom Bobo