Good 47º clear sunny morning.
Yesterday was again, a beautiful day...a few clouds and contrails....
Then the clouds moved in....
We warmed to 90º, but not for long. The temps dropped after a light cloud cover and breeze.
My friend Trish asked me if the floors were flat inside the Rotterdam Cube Houses (posted yesterday). Yes they are. Here's a link...
California Earthquake..... this is a fissure that opened near Ridgecrest after the quakes
By comparison, the last major destructive temblor to strike Southern California was the 6.7 magnitude Northridge quake in 1994, which was centered in a highly populated area of Los Angeles. It killed 57 people and caused billions of dollars in property damage.
Initial damage reports were much lighter from Friday's quake, which unleashed greater force than the Northridge event but was much less consequential because it was centered in a remote, sparsely populated area.
The quake, however, was felt over a wide area - as far west as the Pacific Coast town of El Segundo, adjacent to Los Angeles International Airport, and as far east as Las Vegas.
Pools in Los Angeles sloshed wildly and TV cameras at major league baseball's Dodger Stadium were shaking as they filmed the night game between the Los Angeles Dodgers and the San Diego Padres.
The quake forced the National Basketball Association (NBA) to cancel the finish of a two Summer League games in Las Vegas while engineers checked to see if the temblor compromised the integrity of an arena on the campus of the University of Nevada Las Vegas.
Picture of the Day....
Interesting about cat tails....
The cat's tail is an extension of the spine and is used to help him balance and as an aid to communication. The tail is an important tool to help keep kitty balanced when he walks along a fence. The tail is used as a counterweight, if he looks left, the tail will move in the opposite direction. Approximately 10% of the bones in the cat's body are found in the tail. These bones are known as "caudal vertebrae". There's no set number of bones in the cat's tail, but an average number is between 20 and 23. This depends on the breed of cat and the length of the tail.
If you are a cat and...
Southwest Chicken Skillet....
- 1 cup uncooked long grain white rice
- 1 cup salsa
- 1.5-2 cups precooked shredded chicken
- 1 (15 oz.) can black beans
- 1 Tbsp chili powder
- 1.5 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup shredded cheese
- 2-3 green onions, sliced
- In a large skillet, combine the rice, salsa, chicken, black beans (drained), chili powder, and chicken broth. Stir until everything is evenly combined.
- Place a tight fitting lid on the skillet, turn the heat on to high, and let the skillet come to a full boil. As soon as the skillet comes to a boil, turn the heat down to low and let it simmer for 30 minutes. Make sure it is simmering the entire time, turning the heat up slightly if needed (you should be able to hear it simmer quietly).
- After 30 minutes, turn off the heat, remove the lid, and fluff the mixture with a fork. All of the liquid should be absorbed and the rice should be tender. Sprinkle 1 cup of shredded cheese over top, replace the lid, and let it sit for a few minutes, or until the cheese is melted. Meanwhile, slice the green onions. Sprinkle the green onions over the melted cheese and serve hot.
*Brown rice can not be directly substituted for white rice in this recipe. Brown rice requires more liquid and a longer cooking time than white rice.
Historically this date.....
1846 – Mexican-American War: American troops occupy Monterey and Yerba Buena, thus beginning the U.S. acquisition of California.
1865 – American Civil War: four conspirators in the assassination of President Abraham Lincoln are hanged.
1911 – The United States, Great Britain, Japan, and Russia sign the North Pacific Fur Seal Convention of 1911 banning open-water seal hunting, the first international treaty to address wildlife preservation issues.
1928 – Sliced bread is sold for the first time by the Chillicothe Baking Company ofChillicothe, Missouri.
1946 – Howard Hughes nearly dies when his XF-11 spy plane prototype crashes in aBeverly Hills neighborhood.
1981 – U.S. President Ronald Reagan appoints Sandra Day O'Connor to become the first female member of the Supreme Court of the United States.
And births this date include...
1927 – Doc Severinsen, American composer and jazz trumpeter
Dinner was that Schwans Vegetable Alfredo Lasagna I had just ordered.
It was WONDERFUL!! I will order it again. This "family size will give me 4 meals at a cost of $2.75 each!
This vegetable lasagna is made of pasta layered between rich, aged Parmesan and Romano Alfredo sauce and broccoli, carrots, cauliflower and spinach, all topped with bread crumbs. Made with 100% real cheese. No artificial flavors or colors. No preservatives.
All I know. Nuff said. Happy Sunday. Ciao.
xo Sue Mom Bobo