Good 47º cloudy morning. I heard the rain in the night and we ended up with 1/2".
Yesterday we had a bit of sun for a couple hours and then the clouds rolled in big time!
Happy Throw Back Thursday....
My Mom and Dad on the front porch of the house on Stockbridge in El Sereno and Daddy's new 1954 DeSoto Firedome hardtop in the driveway...
Yesterday Mike came over and did some "stuff" for me. He fixed the back door, checked out the generator to make sure it was good to go if needed. Mike also fixed some wiring and then blew the leaves off the yard and the porch and trimmed a big bush. Thanks Mike!
Bruiser had to climb all over Mike's truck, giving it the "cat scan"....
Dude loves Mike and is always so happy to see him!
This recipe for soup will get your drool button going!
Bacon Beer Cheese Soup with Chicken
6 slices thick cut bacon
1 pound boneless skinless chicken breast
4 T unsalted butter
1/4 cup all purpose flour
2 t. garlic powder
1/4 - 1 t. cayenne pepper
1 t. smoked paprika
1½ t. kosher salt
1 t. coarse black pepper
1 cup beer (Belgian style wheat beer..Blue Moon)
1 cup reduced sodium chicken stock
2 cups half and half
8 oz Cheddar cheese, grated
1 t. Worcestershire sauce
crisp diced bacon
1. Warm an 8 qt pot over med high heat. Cut bacon and cook in pot until it's crisp.
2. Meanwhile cut chicken into bite sized pieces
3. Using slotted spoon, remove bacon from pan, draining the drippings into the pan as you take out the bacon.
4. Add chicken pieces to bacon grease to cook, sprinkle with ½ t. salt. Stir until chicken is completely cooked through.
5. Remove chicken from pot with slotted spoon.
6. Cut butter into 1 T. pieces and add to the pan stirring until melted. Whisk in flour and seasonings and let cook 1 minute, whisking frequently.
7. Add beer and whisk to combine and cook 2 minutes. Add chicken stock and half and half, whisk to combine and reduce heat to medium.
8. Slowly add in cheese a little at a time, whisking until incorporated. Stir until smooth. Add Worcestershire and return chicken and bacon to pot. Stir to combine
9. Allow to simmer until ready to serve. Garnish with croutons, chives, and bacon.
Historically this date....
1911 – Eugene B. Ely lands on the deck of the USS Pennsylvania stationed in San Francisco harbor, the first time an aircraft landed on a ship.
Great pictures on this site... click on his name.... come back tomorrow....
1969 – United Airlines Flight 266 crashes into Santa Monica Bay killing all 32 passengers and six crew members.
And births this date include...
1779 - Peter Mark Roget, English physician and creator of Roget's Thesaurus. (d. 1869)
Roget who is now famous for his dictionary of synonyms, the Thesaurus of English Words and Phrases. During his career he was a doctor in Manchester, a professor of physiology at the Royal Institution, and the secretary of the Royal Society. He retired in 1848 and devoted himself to his dictionary of synonyms, based on notes he'd been compiling since early in his career. In 1852 he published his thesaurus, now commonly called Roget's Thesaurus, which has been in print ever since.
.... I have to say, this is one of my most favorite books!!
1904 – Cary Grant, English actor (d. 1986)
When working for Fabergé, Mr. Grant was on our board of directors. Such a super charming man!! YUMMMMMM... even at his age! A privilege to meet him.
1980 – Jason Segel, American actor
Brian had sent me this new photo of Dash, his new puppy. So............ here's Dash on the dash! LOL. In line at In-N-Out!
My Bruiser likes high places... his new cat tree for sure but also periodically he jumps up on top of the entertainment center....
And, another animal ... "my" geese have come back.... They sit on the barn roof, honk and honk, and then I put out some cracked corn for them. They hang around for mating season, have their babies, and then when the baby geese can fly they leave. I'm sure they go to the Evans Creek area or the Rogue River area.
I always say, "Hi goosie goose" to them and they respond with more honking! They have been around since we moved here in 1998. Once I gave them some cracked corn about 12 years ago they got friendly and are coming back every year to honk and eat cracked corn.
All I know. Nuff said. Happy TBT. Ciao.
xo Sue Mom Bobo