Good 42º clear sunny morning.
Yesterday morning the clouds moved in.... but didn't last all day....
We got some wild howling winds and all the clouds blew away.
Dude was happy laying in the grass....
We stayed in the low 70ºs most of the day and topped at 80º.
I have apples on my apple tree. Now we'll see how many deer hop the fence to munch on them!
Speaking of deer... Buck was out in the front munching grass, then I showed up with my camera and he trotted away.........
This morning they are up in my pasture...
Dude is now finally eating. Not much, but he's eating! Had me worried as he didn't eat for three days. Whew.....
Picture of the Day ... another OLD gas station...
Interesting about Tree Swallows.....
Albinism is a genetic mutation that prevents the body from producing melanin. Tree Swallow nestlings typically have sooty gray upper parts, like the sibling pictured below, and that gray coloration is due to melanin. Notice also how the bill is pinkish in this photo of the rare youngster.
Both parents had normal coloration, as did all four of its siblings. The finding was especially surprising because this particular nest was one in which the female preferred to stay on the nest during nest checks, even after the young had hatched. Edie (who took the pictures and did the research) wasn’t sure what she would find when she checked the nest on June 12th, but she certainly wasn’t expecting to find a snow-white nestling. At first, she was confused, thinking another bird might have laid an egg in this nest…except she knew that there aren’t any pure white cavity-nesting species in her area. She snapped a photo so she could leave the birds in peace and examine the evidence later. It wasn’t until later that she realized how rare her sighting was.
Not all color is derived from pigment. As adults, Tree Swallows get their iridescent blue-green plumage from the structure of their feathers, which scatter light. The feathers have a base of melanin, so if you were to destroy the structure of the feather, you would see only gray. This albino nestling will not obtain the iridescent teal plumage as an adult because there is no base of melanin, which plays a role in the scattering of light.
THE BEST EVER BROCCOLI SALAD from the Slow Roasted Italian...
The Best Ever Broccoli Salad is a simple recipe combining broccoli, bacon, raisins, onion and nuts. They come together in the most amazing summer salad yet. The sweet and creamy dressing really makes this the perfect summer side that you won't be able to get enough of!
- 3 pounds fresh broccoli florets, washed
- 1 cup bacon crumbles
- 1 cup golden raisins
- 1 cup toasted pine nuts (or your favorite nut)
- 3/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1/2 medium red onion, diced
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add broccoli and cook for 30 seconds. Drain water and rinse with ice cold water or place broccoli in an ice bath. Drain and set aside.
- Reserve a small handful of bacon, raisins and pine nuts for garnish.
- In a medium bowl combine mayonnaise, sour cream, sugar, lemon juice, salt and pepper. Whisk to combine. Set aside.
- Place broccoli, onion and remaining raisins in a large bowl. Pour dressing over top. Toss to coat. Chill.
- When ready to serve add nuts and bacon and toss well. Garnish with reserved bacon, raisins and pine nuts. Serve and enjoy!
- Broccoli is even better if you blanch it first (boil quickly and then chill), but you can make this recipe with fresh broccoli too.
- If you prefer your salad crisper: add onions and raisins to dressing and chill until ready to serve. When serving assemble salad as instructed above.
Historically this date........
1918 – World War I, Western Front: Battle for Belleau Wood – Allied Forces under John J. Pershing and James Harbord defeat Imperial German Forces under Wilhelm, German Crown Prince.
1934 – President Franklin D. Roosevelt signs the Federal Credit Union Act, which establishes credit unions.
1974 – The Universal Product Code is scanned for the first time to sell a package of Wrigley's chewing gum at the Marsh Supermarket in Troy, Ohio
1975 – Two FBI agents and a member of the American Indian Movement are killed in a shootout on the Pine Ridge Indian Reservation in South Dakota; Leonard Peltier is later convicted of the murders in a controversial trial.
2012 – The Waldo Canyon Fire descends into the Mountain Shadows neighborhood in Colorado Springs burning 347 homes in a matter of hours and killing two people.
And births this date include.....
1898 – Chesty Puller, American military officer (d. 1971)USMC!!!! Most decorated Marine ever!
1922 – Eleanor Parker, American actress (d. 2013)
1970 – Chris O'Donnell, American actor
1974 – Derek Jeter, American baseball player
On the weekend my Italian son, Alex and his girlfriend Maria did a mud run.................. shower time!!!!
My high school pal, Carol Nasca posted this:
INFO just announced on TV: U-tube, twitter and facebook have declared a merger. They'll now be known as "U TWIT FACE". You're welcome. xox
So, I told her that FedEx and UPS merged and are now called "Fed Up"!
All I know. Nuff said. Happy Hump Day. Ciao.
xo Sue Mom Bobo