Good 37º super foggy morning...
It stayed foggy pretty much all day yesterday until just about sunset and we saw some blue sky!
A gymnastic meet at the Disneyland Hotel in Anaheim is where Granddaughter Sami is.
Jen, Sami, and Jen's mom Jean flew down there for the weekend and this special meet. Daughter Kristen and grandson Jack met up with them.
Sami posing with Jack after the meet was over.....
There were 10 teams.... from California, Oregon, and Arizona. Our awesome Sami took 4th place over all!!!!!!!!
Then they all went to Disneyland....
Picture of the Day .... husbands thrilled to go shopping with their wives...
Interesting about populations in north America... and PDs.....
Mexico City tops the list of most highly populated cities in North America with a population of approximately 8.9 million people; however the United States makes up most of the rest of the top ten most populous cities in North America. New York City, Los Angeles and Chicago are the largest cities in the United States and, of these, New York City is by far the largest, with 8.6 million residents (Los Angeles and Chicago have populations of 4.0 and 2.7 million, respectively). The Canadian city of Toronto, with 2.7 million residents.
American police departments are not only responsible for catching criminals; they are also an integral part of the fabric of the country’s communities. Cops handle everything from routine tasks, such as directing traffic, to the heroic, including being amongst the first to respond to the country’s worst disasters. It is no surprise, then, that the nation’s largest cities rely on the service of thousands of officers and support personnel. Here we look at the country’s largest police departments.
1. NYPD New York City Police Department – THE NYPD was established in 1845 and is one of the most recognizable law enforcement agencies in the world. It is the largest local law enforcement agency in the United States, with approximately 40,000 sworn officers. The NYPD consists of ten bureaus, of which six are strictly for enforcement purposes.
2. Chicago Police Department – The Chicago PD is not only the second largest local law enforcement agency in the country but it is also one of the oldest, dating back to 1837. It was officially recognized and established in 1855. The Chicago PD consists of more than 12,000 sworn officers and nearly 2,000 administrative and executive employees.
3. LAPD: The Los Angeles Police Department – With just over 10,000 sworn officers and almost 3,000 civilian staff, the world-famous LAPD is the country’s third-largest local law enforcement agency. Serving nearly 500 square miles with almost 4 million residents, the department has one of the largest geographical jurisdictions in the world. It has been the subject of countless motion pictures and television programs, which adds to the department’s mystique.
4. Philadelphia Police Department – Designated as the oldest municipal police agency in the United States, the Philadelphia Police Department was formed in 1828 and employs over 6,000 sworn officers, with an average of about 600 new officers sworn in every year.
5. Houston Police Department – Dubbed the largest municipal police department in the state of Texas, the HPD has covers a geographical jurisdiction of more than 600 square miles.
With approximately 18,000 employees, the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department, officially the County of Los Angeles Sheriff's Department, is the nation's largest sheriff's department.
The department's three main responsibilities entail providing patrol services for 153 unincorporated communities of Los Angeles County, California and 42 cities, providing courthouse security for the Superior Court of Los Angeles County, and the housing and transportation of inmates within the county jail system. In addition, the department contracts with the Los Angeles Metropolitan Transportation Authority and Metrolink, provides law enforcement services to ten community colleges, patrols over 177 county parks, golf courses, special event venues, two major lakes, 16 hospitals, and over 300 county facilities; and provides services, such as crime laboratories, homicide investigations, and academy training, to smaller law enforcement agencies within the county.
The Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department is the largest sheriff's department and the fourth largest local policing agency in the United States. There are approximately 17,926 employees; over 9,972 sworn deputies and 7,954 non sworn members, (professional staff). There are an additional 4,200 civilian volunteers, 791 reserve deputies and 400 explorers.
LASD deputies provided law enforcement services to over three million residents in an area of 3,171 square miles of the 4,083 square miles on the county, both in the unincorporated County land and within the 42 contract cities.
The Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department, which was founded in 1850, was the first professional police force in the Los Angeles area. The all-volunteer, Los Angeles-specific Los Angeles Rangers were formed in 1853 to assist the LASD. They were soon succeeded by the Los Angeles City Guards, another volunteer group. Neither force was particularly efficient and Los Angeles became known for its violence, gambling and "vice."
As of 2016, 129 sheriff's deputies have been killed in the line of duty since the department's founding in 1850.
Pepperoni Pizza Casserole
Prep Time:10 minutes Cook Time:35 minutesTotal Time:45 minutes Servings: 4
A quick and easy pasta casserole with all of the flavors of a pepperoni pizza!
- 12 ounces pasta
- 1/2 pound Italian turkey sausage, casings removed
- 3 cups (24 ounces) pizza sauce or marinara sauce
- 1/2 cup sliced black olives
- 4 ounces pepperoni
- 8 ounces ricotta
- 2 cups mozzarella, shredded
- 1/2 cup Parmesan, grated
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano (optional)
- Cook the pasta as directed on package but stop 3 minutes early, drain and set aside.
- Meanwhile, cook the sausage in a large saucepan over medium heat, about 10 minutes.
- Mix in the sauce with the sausage and 3/4’s of the olives and pepperoni and set aside.
- Mix the ricotta, mozzarella and Parmesan and set aside.
- Place half of the pasta in the bottom of a large baking dish, top with half of the sauce, followed by half of the cheese mixture and repeat with another layer of each, finally topping with the remaining olives, pepperoni and oregano.
- Bake in a preheated 350F oven covered in foil until bubbling at the sides, about 20-30 minutes, remove the foil and bake until the cheese has melted and started to turn golden brown, about 10 minutes.
Option: Use your favorite pizza toppings!
Special birthday today... friend Wayne Low (LASD Motors ret).
Wayne 4th from left.....
Wayne with his bride Shirley^
Historically this date....
1967 – Astronauts Gus Grissom, Edward White and Roger Chaffee are killed in a fire during a test of their Apollo 1 spacecraft at the Kennedy Space Center, Florida.
Later it was chair, wine, cat in my lap, and TV.
All I know. Nuff said. Happy Sunday. Ciao.
xo Sue Mom Bobo