Good 45º scattered cloudy morning.
Predictions for temps yesterday were 76º in the valley here, but we hit 85º!!
This is a day with such tearful memories of the thousands of people killed.
Picture of the Day
Interesting about men's beards......
Have you ever thought why men have beards? Is there any function at all? As it turns out, there are some historical and natural reasons for wearing a beard.
1. A beard is a natural filter that decreases the amount of UV irradiation reaching men's skin. Thus it cuts down the opportunity of having skin cancer and minimizes aging. Besides, there is a risk to harm your skin with a razor.
2. Being a natural filter, beard prevents dust and air pollution to get on skin and into the mouth, the nose and lungs. If a beard covers the neck, it works like a scarf - warms and saves from cold.
3. Theoretically, if a man will not shave or cut his beard for his entire life, it can reach the length of 29 feet. However, researches show that it reaches the length of 5 feet. The longest beard belonged to Norwegian-American farmer Hans Nilson Langseth. His beard measured 17.5 feet.
4. Approximately half of men in the world wear beards. Yet, not all of them grew their own one. Some men naturally cannot have a proper beard. The recent beard trend increased the quantity of a beard transplantation surgeries in 600 % from 2008 to 2013. Such an operation costs more than 4000$.
5. A beard had a very high significance in ancient Egypt.
Only royal people had their right to have a beard at those times. They dyed their beards with alcanna and weaved golden ribbons into them to adorn. Metal artificial beards were used for royal men funerals as a part of the mummy.
Even women-pharaohs were wearing their artificial beards to emphasize their nobleness, for instance, Hatshepsut pharaoh. That was not very comfortable but "noblesse oblige".
Historically this date....
2001 – The September 11 attacks take place in the United States. Airplane hijackings result in the collapse of the World Trade Center in New York City, damage to The Pentagon in Arlington, Virginia, and the crashing of a passenger airliner near Shanksville, Pennsylvania.
And births this date include....
1923 – Betsy Drake, French born actress (d.2015)
.....once married to Cary Grant!
1928 – Earl Holliman, American actor
1937 – Robert Crippen, American astronaut
1962 – Kristy McNichol, American actress
1967 – Harry Connick, Jr., American singer
The fires here in the west have been horrific and so many homes destroyed. Now I'm worried about the east coast and the hurricane, Florence, that is supposed to make landfall the end of this week. Evacuations in place as of this morning. Praying.
All I know. Nuff said. Happy Tuesday. Ciao.
xo Sue Mom Bobo