Good 38º clear sunny morning. Yesterday we topped at 80º!!!
Throw Back Thursday... this 5 years ago when Pat (LASD ret.) and Alice Reardon stopped on their way north to visit.... Dude was happy to meet them!
Tuesday it got sunny and warm and my neighbor Gerry was out mowing on his property..... wayyyyy up the hill from me.....
Picture of the Day ....
Interesting about a place I sure wouldn't want to live!
The Northernmost City In The U.S. Is Located In Alaska, And It’s Dark For 65 Days A Year
Point Barrow or Nuvuk is a headland on the Arctic coast in the U.S. state of Alaska, 9 miles northeast of Barrow. It is the northernmost point of all the territory of the United States, at 71°23′20″N 156°28′45″W. The distance to the North Pole is 1,122 nautical miles. The northernmost point on the Canadian mainland, Murchison Promontory, is 40 miles farther north.Point Barrow is also an important geographical landmark, marking the limit between two marginal seas of the Arctic, the Chukchi Sea on its western side and the Beaufort Sea on the eastern.
The arctic climate in Barrow comes at a chilly price. The average temperature in the summer is just 40 degrees. In fact, temps that are above the freezing line only happen about 120 days per year.
Because Barrow has a treeless ecosystem made up of primarily tundra, some comedians in town have planted some fake palm trees to offer a good laugh for visitors and locals alike. The tundra in and around Barrow is formed by a permafrost layer that can be as much as 1,300 feet deep.
From the Slow Roasted Italian....
One of the most popular sides from Boston Market is waiting to be served on your table. Our newest copycat recipe, Sweet Potato Casserole, is one for your recipe book! Rich sweet potatoes covered in marshmallow and brown sugar streusel topping is a side dish to remember.
- 3 1/2 - 4 pounds sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1” pieces
- 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 cups mini marshmallows
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 tablespoons butter unsalted butter
- 6 tablespoons packed light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup old fashioned rolled oats
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Fill a large pot with sweet potato pieces and water. Bring to a boil over high heat. Cook until fork tender. Drain potatoes and place back into pot. Mash potatoes with a potato masher or blend with an electric mixer, until mostly smooth. Add remaining ingredients (except topping ingredients). Mix until combined.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Grease an 8”x10” casserole dish (8x8 or 9x9 works too).
- Spoon sweet potatoes into casserole dish and smooth out. Sprinkle top of sweet potatoes with marshmallows.
- Melt butter in a medium microwave safe bowl. Add remaining ingredients. Mix with a fork. Sprinkle over top of casserole.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until streusel is crisp and marshmallows are golden brown.
- Serve and enjoy!
Historically this date......
1959 – Project Mercury: NASA announces the selection of the United States' first seven astronauts, whom the news media quickly dub the "Mercury Seven".
1961 – The Pacific Electric Railway in Los Angeles, once the largest electric railway in the world, ends operations.
2005 – Wedding of Charles, Prince of Wales and Camilla Parker Bowles; Charles, Prince of Wales marries Camilla Parker Bowles in a civil ceremony at Windsor's Guildhall.
And births this date include....
All I know. Nuff said. Happy TBT. Ciao.
xo Sue Mom Bobo