Good 44º dark cloudy morning.
The severe rain storm that was predicted to start last night hasn't happened yet.
Picture of the Day....
Interesting about Orcas....
The orca is commonly known as the killer whale. In fact, this beautiful creature is the largest dolphin in the dolphin family.
Dolphins and whales are closely related. Orcas were given the name ‘killer whale’ by ancient sailors’ observations of groups of orcas hunting and preying on larger whale species.
Looking at all populations, orcas are generalist eaters, consuming fish, seals and sea lions, dolphins and porpoises, sharks and rays, large whales, cephalopods (octopods and squids), seabirds and more.
Orcas sleep in a very different way to humans. We have a breathing reflex and when we sleep or become unconscious, we continue to breath automatically. Orcas cannot sleep in this way, they have to remain conscious, even when they are sleeping! This is because their breathing is not automatic - they have to actively decide when to breath, and so they must be conscious even when sleeping.
To get around this, orcas only allow one half of their brains to sleep at a time; the other half stays alert enabling them to continue breathing whilst looking out for dangers in the environment. They only close one eye when they sleep; the left eye will be closed when the right half of the brain sleeps, and vice versa.In orca populations, knowledge is passed down to younger individuals from their elders – what to eat and were to find it, how to catch it, who to avoid, vocalisations and calls unique to pods and family groups, and the distinct ‘accent’ of the population.
More Info: uk.whales.org
From The Slow Roasted Italian....
Olive Garden Salad is so amazing you may eat the salad and skip the meal. Now you can make your own salad dressing copycat recipe at home. A crisp salad with a tart, sweet and cheesy dressing will keep you coming back for more!
- 3 romaine lettuce hearts, washed and chopped
- 1/2 red onion, sliced
- 2 Roma tomatoes, sliced
- 4 pickled Pepperoncini
- 10 large pitted olives
- 1/2 cup seasoned croutons
- 1/4 cup fresh shredded Parmesan cheese
Olive Garden House Dressing Copycat
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup water
- 3 tablespoons white vinegar
- 2 tablespoons extra light tasting olive oil (or other neutral oil)
- 2 tablespoon fresh grated Romano cheese
- 1/2 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- In the bowl of a blender, combine dressing ingredients and blend until smooth. Place in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
- In a large salad bowl, layer salad ingredients in order beginning with lettuce. Pour salad dressing over salad and toss to combine.
- Serve and enjoy!
- If you prefer dressing to be yellow in color (like the original) add pinches of turmeric until it reaches the desired shade (thanks to a reader for the tip). I left it out in the above photo.
Historically this date.......
1842 – Ether anesthesia is used for the first time, in an operation by the American surgeon Dr. Crawford Long.
1867 – Alaska is purchased from Russia for $7.2 million, about 2 cent/acre ($4.19/km²), by United States Secretary of State William H. Seward.
1981 – President Ronald Reagan is shot in the chest outside a Washington, D.C., hotel by John Hinckley, Jr.
And births this date include....
1926 – Peter Marshall, American game show host
1968 – Celine Dion, Canadian singer
All I know. Nuff said. Happy Monday. Ciao.
xo Sue Mom Bobo