Good 46º scattered clouds morning.
Yesterday was nice. We started in the 40ºs, clear and sunny, and ended up at 83º. Clouds came in later in the afternoon.
Happy Dude laying in the grass watching the gate ... his favorite place other than my bed!
No wind yesterday, for a change....
My grapevines are really going to town. Grapes soon....
Picture of the Day ... Lawnmower! Obviously a motorcycle aficionado!
Interesting about the 8th and 9th dirtiest cities in the USA....
The residents of Denver pride themselves on their healthy, active, outdoor lifestyles. But all that physical activity might be wasted when you stop to consider the sub-standard air quality.
The eighth dirtiest city has a disproportionately high amount of particulate air pollution, fondly known as smog. The EPA blames a host of factors on the crappy air quality, including industrial facilities, electric utilities, and vehicle exhaust.
If you left your heart in San Francisco, you may have left some other litter as well. That’s why it’s the ninth most filthy city in America.
There are beautiful, picturesque areas of San Fran and then there’s the rest of the city, which has a decently high homeless population. People living on the street don’t necessarily have access to public bathroom facilities. They are often forced to take care of business out in the open, which doesn’t help the filth factor.
A few years ago, the sheer amount of human waste on the escalator of the BART station was enough to shut it down until a HAZMAT team could come take care of the problem. You can imagine the smell of that — and the worst part is, it’s not uncommon.
Quick and Easy 5 Ingredient Posole
- 1 lb ground beef, (or pork, turkey, chicken, or meatless option!)
- 2 Tbsp. taco seasoning, (garlic powder, chili powder, cumin, paprika, cayenne)
- 2 15-oz cans white hominy, drained
- 3 15-oz cans tomatoes, (a mix between fire roasted diced tomatoes with garlic and crushed tomatoes)
- 1 15-oz can black beans
- Salt & pepper
- Toppings: shredded cheese, lime wedges, fresh cilantro, sour cream, tortilla chips, etc.
- In a large pot over medium heat, brown and crumble your ground meat until it is cooked through and no longer pink. Drain any excess fat in the bottom of the pan.
- Season the meat with salt, pepper, and taco seasoning, (equal parts garlic powder, chili powder, cumin, and paprika). You can add a pinch of cayenne if you want it spicier.
- Add the 6 cans to the pot and stir, bringing to a boil over higher heat.
- Allow the soup to cook, gently simmering, for at least 10 minutes to let the flavors combine.
- Top with all your favorite fixin's: shredded cheese, fresh lime juice, fresh cilantro, sour cream, crumbled tortilla chips, etc.
Pozole (Nahuatl languages: pozolli Spanish pronunciation: [po'sole], pozole), which means "hominy", is a traditional soup or stew from Mexican Cuisine. It is made from hominy, with meat (typically pork), and can be seasoned and garnished with shredded lettuce or cabbage, chile peppers, onion, garlic, radishes, avocado, salsa or limes. Pozole is typically served on New Year's Eve to celebrate the new year.
It is a typical dish in various states such as Nayarit, Sinaloa, Michoacán, Guerrero, Zacatecas, Jalisco, and Morelos. Pozole is served in Mexican restaurants worldwide and is also popular in New Mexico where it was a common dish among the Pueblo Indians residing along the Rio Grande River in New Mexico.
Pozole is frequently served as a celebratory dish throughout Mexico and in Mexican communities outside Mexico. Common occasions include Mexico Independence Day, birthdays, Christmas and other holidays.
Special birthday today.... one of "our sons" ... and retired LASD, David Smail is celebrating today. He was an Explorer Scout at Temple, worked at the coroner's office before becoming a Deputy. HAPPY BIRTHDAY DAVID!
^1980... David with my Kristen and Brian
Historically this date.....
1974 – Mikhail Baryshnikov defects from the Soviet Union to Canada while on tour with Bolshoi Ballet.
1995 – The Sampoong Department Store collapses in the Seocho-gu district of Seoul,South Korea, killing 501 and injuring 937.
2006 – Hamdan v. Rumsfeld: The U.S. Supreme Court rules that President George W. Bush's plan to try Guantanamo Bay detainees in military tribunals violates U.S. and international law.
2012 – A derecho (wind storm!) strikes the eastern United States, leaving at least 22 people dead and millions without power.
And births this date..
1919 – Slim Pickens, American actor (d. 1983)
1962 – George D. Zamka, American colonel, pilot, and
All I know. Nuff said. Happy Saturday. Ciao.
xo Sue Mom Bobo