Palacio de Sal or "Palace of salt" is a hotel built of salt blocks. It is located at the edge of 'Salar de Uyuni', the world's largest salt flat.
'Salar de Uyuni' is the world's largest salt flat at 4,086 sq mi. It is located in the 'Potosí' and 'Oruro' departments in southwest Bolivia, near the crest of the Andes at an altitude 11,995 feet.
'Salar de Uyuni' has long attracted tourists, who came great distances and needed a place to rest before returning to their cities. Building such a resting place required construction materials, which are scarce in the area. Therefore, it was logical to erect a hotel made of salt, which is in ready supply at 'Salar de Uyuni'.
The first hotel was built in 1993-1995 out of salt blocks in the middle of the 'Salar de Uyuni', and soon became a popular tourist destination. Its location in the center of a desert produced sanitary problems. The hotel had to be dismantled in 2002.
Around 2007, a new hotel was built, under the name Palacio de Sal. The new site is south of Bolivia's capital La Paz. The building was constructed of about 1 million 14-inch salt blocks, which are used for the floor, walls, ceiling and furniture, including beds, tables, chairs and sculptures.
The sanitary system has been restructured to comply with the government regulations. The hotel has a dry sauna and a steam room, a saltwater pool and whirlpool baths.
These yummy mini potato-crust pizzas will score you big entertaining points whenever you serve them. Imagine the reaction when you pass around a platter of these awesome Touchdown Potato Pizza appetizers.
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 4 Idaho potatoes, scrubbed and cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices
- 2 ounces pepperoni (about 30 slices) chopped
- 3/4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 425º. Coat 2 baking sheets with 1 tablespoon each of olive oil.
- Arrange potato slices on baking sheets and bake 10 minutes, or until pale golden in color. Turn potato slices over and cook 6 additional minutes, or until fork-tender and beginning to brown.
- In a medium bowl, combine remaining ingredients except remaining olive oil, and toss until well blended.
- Remove potatoes from oven and evenly distribute pepperoni mixture on top of each potato slice. Return to oven and bake an additional 3 to 5 minutes, or until cheese begins to melt. Remove from oven, and then drizzle remaining 2 tablespoons oil evenly over topped potato slices. Let stand 5 minutes to allow flavors to absorb, then serve.
And births this date include....