The Sydney Harbor Bridge and the Opera House are arguably Sydney's most recognizable buildings. The bridge was opened in 1932 and the Opera house in 1973. Designed by Danish architect Jørn Utzon, his design won through an international competition from 233 entries.
Some interesting facts about the Opera House are -
- it is built on Bennalong Point named after Woollarawarre Bennelong, a senior Eora man at the time of the arrival of British colonisers in Australia in 1788.
- the original cost estimate was $7 million, however the final cost was $102 million.
- cost of the building was largely paid for by a State lottery
- construction was to take 4 years. It took 14 years to complete
- there are 1,056,006 tiles on the roof, all made in Sweden
- seven A380 aircraft could sit wing-to-wing on the site
- Arnold Schwarzenegger won his final Mr Olympia body building title in 1980 in the Concert Hall
- it is cooled by taking seawater directly from the harbor
Our Four-Layer Pecan Pie recipe is layered with creamy filling, crunchy pecans, and a flaky refrigerated pie crust that truly make this a delectable dessert. Top it with a scoop of your favorite ice cream and a drizzle of maple syrup for a dessert you'll want to eat over and over again.
- 1 refrigerated rolled pie crust (from a 15-ounce package)
- 1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup cup sugar, divided
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract, divided
- 4 eggs, divided
- 1 cup corn syrup
- 1 1/4 cups chopped pecans
1931 – Rita Moreno, Puerto Rican-American actress, singer, and dancer
1940 – Donna Mills, American actress and producer