Collies form a distinctive type of herding dogs. The type originated in Scotland and Northern England. Collies are medium-sized, fairly light-built dogs, with pointed snouts. Many types have a distinctive white color over the shoulders.
- AKC Breed Popularity: Ranks 38 of 197
- Height: 24-26 inches (male), 22-24 inches (female)
- Weight: 60-75 pounds (male), 50-65 pounds (female)
- Life Expectancy: 12-14 years
- Group: Herding Group
The exact origin of collies remains somewhat unclear. Scotland was subject to conquest, invasion and immigration from various peoples in the centuries before the breed appears in written history. Notable among these peoples who came to live in Scotland, bringing their dogs with them, were Celts, Romans, Norse, and Irish. Dogs from all these people no doubt contributed to genetic material to the dogs of Great Britain as a whole.
However, collies were not truly recognized as a distinct breed until the 18th century. At that time, they lived in the highlands of Scotland where they were carefully bred to assist people in herding and guarding sheep.
Today, in addition to still being excellent working dogs, collies make good pets. They are responsive, eager to please and excel in obedience training. They're friendly with children, family members, familiar adults and other animals. Collies are prone to shedding and should be brushed out often to prevent severe matting.
We had a collie named Lucy. She was the sweetest dog ever! Here she is with Kristen (when she was 2 years old)...
And with Jerry.....
This is the perfect potato casserole for any occasion. It's just as good with your weeknight dinner as it is served for a company-fancy meal. Our Anytime Potatoes are creamy, dreamy, and easy to throw-together. And the crispy topping makes them extra-special!
- 1 stick (1/2 cup) butter, melted
- 1 (10-3/4-ounce) can cream of chicken soup
- 1 pint (16 ounces) sour cream
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 pounds frozen hash brown potato cubes, thawed
- 1/4 cup dry bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese