Good 40º cloudy morning. Slight chance of rain, maybe 20%, so doubt we'll get any!
Yesterday the rain started in again just after 8am... didn't last long. Total was 1/10". BUT..... we did get snow on my mountain!
And the deer momma and baby were out munching grass...
The storm in the north central and north eastern states sounds pretty crazy! I have friends in Illinois (Lundells) and So. Dakota (Boyko) and in New York (Vivia). I hope all stay safe!!!
- 1 2/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 1/2 cups sugar, divided
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Coat a 9- x 5-inch loaf pan with cooking spray.
- In a small bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, and salt; set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream together the shortening and 1 cup sugar. Add the eggs. Then add the milk and dry ingredients and blend until smooth. Add walnuts and lemon zest.
- Pour mixture into loaf pan and bake about 1 hour or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Remove from oven.
- In a small bowl, mix the remaining sugar with the lemon juice. Pour over bread and serve warm.
Special birthdays today.... my high school pal, Adele (Easton) Graves is celebrating. HAPPY BIRTHDAY DEL!!!!!
and.... my friend and the local "Birdman", Gary Adkison is celebrating. HAPPY BIRTHDAY GARY!
Gary makes great birdhouses and I have a number of them!
Historically this date............
1902 – James C. Penney opens his first store in Kemmerer, Wyoming. (Interesting that it's F.W. Woolworth's birthday)
1943 – The Jefferson Memorial is dedicated in Washington, D.C., on the 200th anniversary of Thomas Jefferson's birth.
1970 – An oxygen tank aboard Apollo 13 explodes, putting the crew in great danger and causing major damage to the spacecraft while en route to the Moon.
1976 – The United States Treasury Department reintroduced the two-dollar bill as a Federal Reserve Note on Thomas Jefferson's 233rd birthday as part of the United States Bicentennial celebration.
And births this date include....
Brian gave me this $2 bill.. I keep it in my wallet for good luck!
A former Marine and Maxwell Smart!
1931 – Dan Gurney, American race car driver (d.2018)
Interesting fellow. Military, deputy sheriff, jewelry artist, politician who switched from being a Dem to a Republican!
Later I made myself a grilled cheese since it was National Grilled Cheese Day.... sliced the bread, slathered on butter both sides, slathered on cream cheese, added sliced and grated cheese, grilled. Served with some home-canned beets.... YUMMMMM!!!
All I know. Nuff said. Happy TGIF. Ciao.
xo Sue Mom Bobo