Marathon des Sables, or MdS, (French for Marathon of the Sands, also known as Sahara Marathon) is a six-day, 156 mile ultra-marathon, which is approximately the distance of six regular marathons. The longest single stage (2009) 57 miles long.
This multi-day race is held every year in southern Morocco, in the Sahara Desert. It has been regarded as the toughest foot race on Earth. The first event of the Marathon started in 1986.
The marathon was the brainchild of French concert promoter Patrick Bauer who in 1984 traversed the Sahara desert on foot and alone. He covered 214 miles in 12 days without encountering a single oasis or desert community along the way. Two years later in 1986 the first Marathon des Sables was run. Twenty-three runners participated in the race with Bernard Gaudin and Christiane Plumere, both of France, finishing as the winning man and woman.
Due to the outbreak of coronavirus the 2020 Marathon des Sables was postponed from 3–13 April to 18–28 September, following a warning officially issued by the Ministry of the Interior of the Kingdom of Morocco as stated in the marathon's official website.
Pizza-Style Macaroni combines two favorites: pizza and mac 'n' cheese! What's not to like about this winner?
- 1 (8-ounce) package elbow macaroni, uncooked
- 1 (14-ounce) jar pizza sauce
- 1 (10-3/4-ounce) can Cheddar cheese soup, undiluted
- 1 cup water
- 1 (8-ounce) package sliced pepperoni, chopped
- 1 large green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 (2.25-ounce) can sliced ripe olives, drained
- 2 teaspoons dried Italian seasoning
- 2 cups (8 ounces) 6-cheese Italian blend shredded cheese, divided