Good 36º very dark cloudy morning.
80% rain predicted for today and tonight and then for the next 3 days a LOT, 100%, of rain predicted!
Yesterday after the freeze, the sun came out!
My friend Cathy (LASD ret and worked at ELA Stn) lives in Acton now. It's in California between Santa Clarita and Palmdale. Desetry area! Snow there too.............. here is one of her horses!
Picture of the Day.... Tiger's skin is striped like his fur!
Interesting about giraffes....
Giraffes’ tongues are about 18-20 inches long and they use their prehensile (capable of grasping) tongue and the roof of their mouths in order to feed on a range of different plants and shoots, most notably from Acacia species. Africa’s Acacia species have fierce defensive thorns, requiring a giraffe to use its dexterous tongue to sort out the nutritious leaves from spiky thorns. Fortunately, a giraffe’s tongue has thickened papillae, which helps to protect it from these vicious thorns. Additionally, thick saliva is also believed to help protect giraffe’s tongue and mouth against the defensive mechanisms of their favorite food. Acacia leaves are a good source of water which helps giraffes go without drinking for long periods on time. The color of the tongue is best described as black, blue or purple with a pink base/back to protect it during frequent sun exposure while eating and prevent the tongue from getting sunburned.
Slow Cooker Potato Soup from the Slow Roasted Italian...
- 10 slices cooked bacon, diced
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 2 pounds Yukon gold potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 (12-ounce) can evaporated milk or half-and-half or heavy cream
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- Salt and pepper to taste
- optional toppings: chives, extra shredded cheddar cheese and bacon
- Add diced potatoes, diced onion, minced garlic, bacon, parsley and chicken broth to the slow cooker. Season with salt and pepper. Stir and cook for 6-8 hours on low or on high for 3-4 hours, until the potatoes are fork tender.
- Once the soup has cooked, add butter to a medium saucepan over medium heat and melt. Whisk in the flour until completely combined and gradually add in the evaporated milk or heavy cream, depends which one you are using. Whisk the flour mixture until smooth. With the heat on the lowest stove setting, let the mixture cook until it starts to simmer and is getting thicker, stir occasionally.
- Immediately add the milk-flour mixture to the slow cooker and stir to combine.
- Using a potato masher, mash about 3/4 of the potatoes.
- Stir in the shredded cheddar cheese and sour cream. Stir well, until fully combined and creamy. Taste for seasoning, add salt and pepper to taste. Continue cooking the soup on low for 30 minutes or on high for 15 minutes.
- If the soup is too thick, add more chicken broth.
- Serve warm, garnished with bacon, cheese and sour cream.
Historically this date...........
1861 – President-elect Abraham Lincoln arrives secretly in Washington, D.C., after the thwarting of an alleged assassination plot in Baltimore, Maryland.
1942 – World War II: Japanese submarines fire artillery shells at the California coastline near Santa Barbara.
1974 – The Symbionese Liberation Army demands $4 million more to release kidnap victim Patty Hearst.
1991 – Gulf War: Ground troops cross the Saudi Arabian border and enter Iraq, thus beginning the ground phase of the war.
And births this date include...
1951 – Patricia Richardson, American actress
All I know. Nuff said. Happy Saturday. Ciao.
xo Sue Mom Bobo