Total Pageviews

Thursday, February 6, 2014

Hot Flashes ~ Dad's Will ~ TBT ~ LE/Fire Lunch ~ Sauteéd Asparagus ~ Cauliflower Salad


Good 35º cloudy pressure dropping morning. Looks like it's raining on my mountain....


Oh wait.... I take that back, it's now snowing and raining down here .... !!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
LOL....


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Here's another one from my pal Patty..... too funny!
Dad's Will
A man was telling his buddy, "You won't believe what happened last night... My daughter walked into the living room and said, ‘Dad, cancel my allowance immediately, forget my college tuition loan, rent my room out, throw all my clothes out the window; take my TV, and my laptop. Please take any of my jewelry to the Salvation Army or Cash Converters. Then, sell my car, take my front door key away from me and throw me out of the house. Then, disown me and never talk to me again. And don't forget to write me out of your will and leave my share to any charity you choose.’ "

"Holy Smokes", replied his friend, "She actually said that?"

"Well, she didn't put it quite that way, she actually said, 'Dad, meet my new boyfriend, Mohammed. We're going to work together on Hillary's election campaign!' "
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

PICTURE of the day....
Marine Mail Call is always a joyous occasion for those Marines that get mail like this Marine who just might be The Happiest Marine Ever.


Throw Back Thursday......
1965.... on this date I married my children's father. Started out good.... had Kristen and Brian.... then he decided drugs were his choice. Discovered them overseas while in the Air Force in Thailand ... friends of his were a bad influence! Sadly the marriage only lasted 9 years. My choice, not his... I couldn't live with someone doing drugs!  I told him to pack up and leave or his underwear will be tossed onto the front yard! He's still doing drugs. Fortunately he lives in S. Dakota and is not an influence on my children any more or my grandchildren. This, by the way, was at the Chapel of Roses in Pasadena. We were both 19.... babies!


Yesterday was the Law Enforcement/Fire Luncheon. We had a good group and lots of conversation. One of  the LAPD guys decided to have a trivia quiz with prizes. He had one question for the LAPD guys and one for us LASD folks. We wrote our answer on a piece of paper and the winner was drawn from each.... I won for LASD. The question (how easy) was who was the Sheriff before Sherman Block. DUH.... Peter J. Pitchess! I won a mini Sheriff's pin...




Lunch was good. I had one of Erick's famous BLT's. YUMMMM! Half came home for dinner.

Tammy sat next to me and we chatted up a storm. Here she is with her hubby Paul (left) and Jon Ray (also former LASD ret...from the pistol range)


So.... for dinner I had some asparagus that sat too long in water on my sink, decided to cook it, but not the conventional way. I chopped it up, heated some oil in a fry pan and sauteéd it..... adding in sea salt, garlic powder, and drizzled on some balsamic pomegranate vinegar. Turned heat to low and let cook with the lid on for 12 minutes. Set aside and let cool.
Then I dished up my leftover salad from lunch and topped it with the asparagus and half sandwich. OMGOOOOOD!! Going to buy more asparagus and cook it this way. Tasty and crunchy. YUMMMMMM~!


Just about that time, 5:30 was this sunset...

Historically this date...
1959 – At Cape CanaveralFlorida, the first successful test firing of a Titan intercontinental ballistic missileis accomplished.

1976 – In testimony before a United States Senate subcommittee, Lockheed Corporation president Carl Kotchian admits that the company had paid out approximately $3 million in bribes to the office of Japanese Prime Minister Kakuei Tanaka.

1978 – The Blizzard of 1978, one of the worst Nor'easters in New England history, hit the region, with sustained winds of 65 mph and snowfall of 4" an hour.

1996 – Willamette Valley Flood of 1996: Floods in the Willamette Valley of OregonUnited States, causes over US$500 million in property damage throughout the Pacific Northwest.

1998 – Washington National Airport is renamed Ronald Reagan National Airport.


And births this date include....
1845 – Isidor Straus, co-owner of Macy's department store and former Congressman from New York (d. 1912)

1849 – Ida Straus, American passenger aboard the Titanic (d. 1912)
....... same birth date and of course, same death date....
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-cl7KyHjmQVk/URJ5E3FPEPI/AAAAAAAAmHo/P5hvFYrnDRM/s1600/strausMA29148422-0009.jpg


1895 – Babe Ruth, American baseball player (d. 1948)
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-P2iKtHtJPac/URJ5HozrC7I/AAAAAAAAmHw/QCi9fjyeP3Y/s1600/babeMA29148422-0010.jpg


http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-hl8wbrojhx4/URJ5KMhLvrI/AAAAAAAAmH4/d1pvPQLlApk/s1600/ronnieMA29148422-0011.jpg


1912 – Eva Braun, German mistress and wife of Adolf Hitler (d. 1945)
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-VIfbAxm3xWU/URJ5NfMpd8I/AAAAAAAAmIA/QVxn_LZSpmo/s1600/evaMA29148422-0012.jpg


1917 – Zsa Zsa Gábor, Hungarian-born actress
..................nine husbands!

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-dIHx6hifgjs/URJ5SJ4fKbI/AAAAAAAAmII/CaubqqaWUY4/s1600/zaza1aMA29148422-0013.jpg
 http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-NhHw-nsSDWo/URJ5TjaaNcI/AAAAAAAAmIQ/zO4fxoxt5io/s1600/zaza1MA29148422-0014.jpghttp://3.bp.blogspot.com/-BBlgEsN4LKI/URJ5VV8UYDI/AAAAAAAAmIY/RcbNvyeEMWI/s1600/zaza2MA29148422-0015.jpg


1931 – Mamie Van Doren, American actress
................only 5 husbands!
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-s42Rc73e58Q/URJ5cZrn-QI/AAAAAAAAmIg/38PTAs1ozcs/s1600/mamie1MA29148422-0016.jpghttp://2.bp.blogspot.com/-4JuJqFiRx1A/URJ5g5ojOKI/AAAAAAAAmIo/OCa6blNIIWM/s1600/mamie2MA29148422-0017.jpg


1940 – Tom Brokaw, American news anchorman
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-kbZexujcI9Q/URJ5lsejgqI/AAAAAAAAmIw/arHIYwszv54/s1600/tom1MA29148422-0018.jpghttp://1.bp.blogspot.com/-juc87pMn4e4/URJ5nL8xn9I/AAAAAAAAmI4/oYLN_rZ-w5M/s1600/tom2MA29148422-0019.jpg


1943 – Fabian Forte, American singer
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-XF83LOu4tH0/URJ5sMxRP4I/AAAAAAAAmJA/M3tNXceIAYA/s1600/fabian1MA29148422-0020.jpghttp://1.bp.blogspot.com/-fj8Qwv2e5QY/URJ5tTF2atI/AAAAAAAAmJI/rxoMtdKjI7Q/s1600/fabian2MA29148422-0021.jpg


1945 – Bob Marley, Jamaican musician (d. 1981)
...... LOVED his music!
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-TUx1BwAWABA/URJ5yKlgz9I/AAAAAAAAmJQ/E3c0JH3EOaA/s1600/bobMA29148422-0022.jpg


I got such a kick out of watching the critters up in the pasture yesterday... there were the 3 geese, a dozen ravens, about 30+ turkeys, and 8 deer. One of the turkeys was chasing the ravens! LOL. He'd jump at them and half fly. A few of them would take off and land close. It went on for quite a while. The deer were bored. The geese flew to the top of the barn.



At Brian's Super Bowl Party Jen's mom, Jean, brought this salad.... It was a "layered" salad, but you can just toss it all together. REALLY good!!!

1½ heads of lettuce (she used Romaine)
1# bacon cooked and chopped
1 small red onion, chopped
1½ heads cauliflower, broken up into bite sized pieces
2 T.  sugar
1½ cups Best Foods Mayonnaise
½ cup shredded Parmesan cheese

I would cut up the lettuce, wash and drain and "salad spin" it. I would mix the sugar with the mayonnaise and the Parmesan cheese and toss everything all together.

So.... going shopping for asparagus and cauliflower! 

All I know. Happy Thursday. Nuff said. Ciao.
xo Sue Mom Bobo
February 6th
National Chopsticks Day


I like the wooden Japanese chopsticks the best. Jerry taught me how to use them, we taught our children, and they taught their children.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I thought I was having hot flashes,but my boobs were not in the coffee something else was.
BR

Oregon Sue said...

LOL, Bill R you are BAAAAAAAD!

Anonymous said...

It is grated parmasean, not shredded. You use grated so it melts into the sugar and mayo. This is a long time staple at barn parties. I actually made it this time though :) - Jen

Oregon Sue said...

Thanks Jen!!! I was looking up the salad on the internet and decided to make it with less sugar and you are right... "grated" not "shredded".
I thought your mom had made it because she said something about "tossing" it instead of leaving it layered. Sorry. Good stuff!!! xo

Anonymous said...

It is good. For my taste, I would use less mayo. Was a "secret" recipe for years from one of the husbands.Finally got it out of him a couple of years ago. Doug always layered it so it doesn't get soggy when you take it to a party.

Lydia said...

We're a wooden chopstick family also. Gerry is really good at it from all that practice working with ROC contracts way back in the last century.

Anonymous said...

I too love Marley's music.

I am surprised that Zsa Zsa is still among the living! In that photo she looks like she's on her death bed.

Your sandwich made my mouth water. Looks like you added lots more mayo on the half for dinner.

You made a beautiful bride at 19. I had never seen that photo before. I too was 19 when I married my John. He wasn't 21 yet so we couldn't even have a drink on our honeymoon. Not that we liked the taste, we didn't. lol

Congrats on winning the LASD prize with such a tough question, huh? LOL

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO THE BEST PRESIDENT EVER, RONALD REAGAN!

XOXO Trisha

Oregon Sue said...

Ha ha Trish, the ranch dressing spilled and got on the sandwich on the way home!! Good though! Thanks re the picture! xoxoxo