Total Pageviews

Saturday, January 7, 2012

Trish's Fancy Potatoes ~ The Coasters ~ Sue's Bean Soup


Good 38º no ice morning. Cloudy and foggy.

We did have a nice sunset yesterday.............


And the last moments of sun hit the mountain top behind me.....


Ok, yesterday was, as my BFF Jeannie explained, ... "BLAH". I couldn't agree more. It pretty much sucked. I was not in the mood to clean. Not at all. The sky stayed gray and the temp never got above 43º. So I made bean soup ... recipe ingredients follow. I turned on the TV and hit the music channels, The Malt Shop, and was transported back to the '60's. It boosted my mood 1000%! Singing all the old songs and dancing (good thing none of you were witness!) ... Laughed at some songs, cried at others. Mad as hell that Ricky Nelson had died. He was a big fav. Then this song came on and I was happy happy happy knowing that this could apply to back then, the '70's, th '80's, and even today! ..... Enjoy:



If you haven't ever seen this video of landing at LAX, it's great! Thanks JoanK !!



My friend Trish, I worked with her hubby Lt. John Bowler at ELA, sent this recipe.... sounds GREAT! Will make it soon...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I made what we call "Fancy Potatoes". Years ago when John was in SEB some of us were invited to a deputy's house to dinner. Wife was a gourmet cook and the dinner was fabulous! Anyway this was one of her dishes. I didn't have any green peppers so I sliced up celery for the green color. VERY good and definitely a comfort dish. I took photos of before but dang it I always forget the "after cooked" photos but you will get the idea."

(it looks green, but it's not...camera problem)

Layered Fancy Potatoes
1. Potato slices
2. Sliced onion
3. Pimento and diced green bell pepper
4. Salt and pepper
5. Soup

Begin with a layer of sliced potatoes in baking dish. Add a layer of sliced onions. Add pimento and diced bell pepper. Add salt and pepper to taste. Top each layer with the soup mixture. Usually makes two layers. Cover and bake at 350º for an hour.

Soup mixture:
Mix a can of cream of mushroom soup and a can of cream of celery soup with 1/2 cup milk.

** Now you know me. The celery sounded good in this but you could also add a layer of thin sliced zucchini or yellow squash... Canned diced green chilies..... Sliced mushrooms... BACON!
Sliced elephant garlic..... Cheese! ..... Experiment! **

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ok, look at this mommy otter and her pup....too cute...

All of us.... Jerry, Kristen, Brian, Aaron, and I went on a camping trip up the CA coast one year. I hand fed a sea otter and Jerry got pictures. I MUST find those photos! A mission ....

 

Historically this date...
1952President Harry S. Truman announces that the United States has developed the hydrogen bomb.

1980 – President Jimmy Carter authorizes legislation giving $1.5 billion in loans to bail out the Chrysler Corporation.

1999 – The Senate trial in the impeachment of U.S. President Bill Clinton begins.


And births this date include....

1911Butterfly McQueen, American actress (d. 1995)
"I ain't birthin' no babies!"


1922 – Vincent Gardenia, Italian-born actor (d. 1992)


1929Terry Moore, American actress


 

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
1941 – Frederick D. Gregory, NASA astronaut


1956David Caruso, American actor
It's his 'head down' pose when he talks to people that irks me to the bone!


1964Nicolas Cage, American actor
The son of comparative literature professor August Coppola (a brother of director Francis Ford Coppola) and dancer/choreographer Joy Vogelsang, Cage changed his name early in his career to make his own reputation, succeeding brilliantly with a host of classic, quirky roles by the late 1980s. Initially studying theatre at Beverly Hills High (though he dropped out at 17)...

 
1966Carolyn Bessette-Kennedy, American publicist (d. 1999)


1978 – Emilio Palma, first person born on the Antarctic continent



Dinner last night was 'bean' soup, since it was Bean Day ... I used this packet of beans soup mix that Jen's brother Jimmy gave me at Christmas... (along with a lot of other goodies in a gift box). An Oregon product ... www.mrsbritts.com


I soaked the beans and then added them to the chicken stock left from a crockpot chicken, added a carton of Imagine Organic Creamy Chicken Soup...

sliced up and added elephant garlic, can of diced tomatoes, lots of diced celery stocks, Napoleon cheese stuffed spinach tortellini, a handful of dehydrated mushrooms, and a lot of chopped up Honeybaked ham!
 


Oh my........GOOD!


Ok, there are so many immigrants coming to this country now with their hand out... pathetic. And the trouble is BO and his lackeys want to give them everything. On the other hand there are immigrants like this guy on the video. What a man. I would like to shake his hand. We need more like him. Run that man for office!!!! (Thanks JudyD for this!!! xo)



Had a fire last night and put in a container of "soot remover" that made the fire all different colors. Pretty....


All I know. Nuff said. Ciao.
xo Sue-Mom-Bobo
January 7th
National Tempura Day

Mmmmmmmm........

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well wasn't this a yuumy looking food blog. Now I am really hungry.
I do have an image in my head of you singing and dancing around to the 50's. You go girl! LOL
Cute picture of the otter. Hope you can find the one of you feeding one.
Must go eat, you made me sooooo hungry, and you are always telling me EAT, so off I go.
Have a great day, hope it isn't another BLAH one. At least the sun is out! xo Jeannie

Oregon Sue said...

Good girl! LOL. As for the dancing and singing... yes, better left alone! xo

Anonymous said...

Sue,
Oh I loved that immigrant cab driver's comments too! Now he KNOWS what it is to be an American and be thankful he is here. Worked hard and is doing the right thing! No wonder he has no sympathy for those dead beats! I would be right behind you to shake his hand!

Thanks for featuring my Fancy Potatoes. Yes, experiment! It's the kind of dish that is pretty basic and many things can be added.

Pretty dull day for me too. With the holidays over I found myself with nothing to do. So I sat in my big chair and read one of my new books. Bill O'Reilly's "Killing Lincoln"! WOW! Is it ever good! Of course I fell asleep and was dreaming for awhile! lol I almost never read during the day. I have always felt guilty because I feel like I should be DOING something productive! Well,it was nice and relaxing.
Glad you improved your mood with the songs and dancing! Fun!

Hugs, Trisha

Oregon Sue said...

Thanks for the recipe, T. You can't beat yourself up for spending the day doing something relaxing instead of being the "house maid"! xo

Anonymous said...

Thanks, Sue. We watched several of the Coaster videos and liked
'em all. They had so many good songs back then.
g.

Lydia said...

I am going to buy one of the soot remover logs- IF it ever gets cold enough to burn one):-