Total Pageviews

Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Girl's Day Out ~ National Gumbo Day

Good 38º (Burrrrrrr) morning. Can't see what is in the sky. Stayed cloudy all day yesterday and got to 71º. Monday evening's sky:

Tuesday morning's sky:

And last night's sky:

 
Of course Maggs was watching me while I was taking pictures:


Here are a number of Van Praagh's videos if you are interested....

 
Yesterday it was a "girl's day out"... PJ, Patty and I hit the road. First to see Turk about fixing Patty's computer, but he was out for the day. Then to Rite Aid, Penny's, Beauty Supply, and Applebee's for lunch! A chardonnay and won ton pulled pork tacos....
 
Patty had her favorite onion soup and won ton tacos and PJ had a wrap. All good, but the tacos were messy and had to be finished with a fork!


Back home and the painter, Terry, had started on the back patio. He had scraped all the loose paint off and primered it. He'll be back to finish.
 
Ok, this is good....
Tortellini In Creamy Rose Sauce
1 T. olive oil
1 onion, chopped
1-4 cloves garlic, minced (to your taste)
1½ cups reduced sodium, fat free chicken broth
1 cup spaghetti sauce
1 9oz pkg refrigerated tortellini
1/2 brick cream cheese or 1/2 cup Philadelphia original cooking sauce.
4 cups loosely packed baby spinach leaves
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
 
Heat oil in skillet over medium heat and add onions and garlic. Cook, stir, 5 min. Stir in broth and spaghetti sauce. Bring to boil.

Add pasta, stir. Cover and cook on med 5 min. Add cream cheese (broken into pieces) or cooking sauce. Cover cook, stirring occasionally, 5 min. Stir in spinach, cook covered 1 minute. Remove from heat and top with Parmesan. 
(Sometimes I add Alfredo sauce to the regular spaghetti sauce too!)
 
Historically this date....
1492Christopher Columbus's expedition makes landfall in the Caribbean, specifically in The Bahamas. The explorer believes he has reached South Asia

1792 – First celebration of Columbus Day in the USA held in New York

1823Charles Macintosh, of Scotland, sells the first raincoat.

1892 – The Pledge of Allegiance is first recited by students in many US public schools, as part of a celebration marking the 400th anniversary of Columbus's voyage.

1901President Theodore Roosevelt officially renames the "Executive Mansion" to the White House.

1933 – The United States Army Disciplinary Barracks on Alcatraz Island, is acquired by the United States Department of Justice

1962 – Infamous Columbus Day Storm strikes the U.S. Pacific Northwest with record wind velocities; 46 dead and at least U.S. $230 million in damages
...............interesting read!

2000 – The USS Cole is badly damaged in Aden, Yemen, by two suicide bombers, killing 17 crew members and wounding at least 39
 

And births this date include....
1935 – Luciano Pavarotti, Italian tenor (d. 2007)

 
 
 
 
 
 


1950Susan Anton, American actress

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

1968 – Hugh Jackman, Australian actor and singer

 
 
 
 





1970Kirk Cameron, American actor


All I know. Happy Hump Day. Ciao.
xo Sue-Mom-Bobo
October 12th
National Gumbo Day

 
 
 
 


(The above is a quick easy recipe....)
Louisiana's contribution to our collective
culinary culture is celebrated today. Gumbo is a Louisiana soup or stew which reflects and blends the rich cuisines of regional Indian, French, Spanish, and African cultures. The word "gumbo" is derived African term for okra, "gombo," and first appeared in print in 1805. Filé gumbo, a version thickened with filé powder (ground sassafras leaves) as used by the Choctaw Indians, came along about 20 years later. There are no hard and fast rules for making gumbo beyond the basic roux, okra or filé powder, and your imagination. There are probably as many distinctive recipes for gumbo as there are cooks in Louisiana.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sue, Loved the Nat'l Gumbo Day info. I triggered a memory of a cooking experience I had , which ended up taking 3 days. When I was on a job lasting several weeks in the 60's in New Orleans. I picked up a 1920's CB which contained the dishes of that area. Project was Gumbo cooked for my nephew's Birthday..Mikey. Since I wanted to cook it exactly "authentic" I rounded up the spices from there and began. The roux took almost a day..the rest of it another and it needs to mellow for one. I've never done it again....it was wonderful! XO Edda

Anonymous said...

Sue,

I didn't realize that Van Praagh was so famous. I was blown away watching that video. No wonder you were astounded and moved by what he told you. I am so amazed!
I sure would love to see his show. I know my mother in law is with me and her spirit was close to me for years after she passed. I had so many dreams about her. In those dreams she had always come back to earth in her bodily form and I would take her all around to the family and tell them "See? I told you grandma would come back"! My s-i-l used to tell me she was jealous because she never had any dream of her mother.
The night of her funeral Kevin & Daryl in the middle of the night woke and were in their room talking (they were 4). Dad went in and asked them why they were awake. They told him "we were talking to grandma". Strange because children at that age I am sure wouldn't think to make that up. Both of them said that.
I guess Van P. was born with that gift because of the story he told of when he was in the first grade. Wow!

Thanks for posting that video.

XO Trisha

Oregon Sue said...

I agree E, some recipes are a "once in a lifetime" ... too hard to make over and over. But good!!!!

Anonymous said...

Great pictures, also thanks for the Van Praagh video site.
Onion Mike

Oregon Sue said...

Yes, T, children are innocent and can see/hear things we are way past the patience for. My friend, Clair's, daughter has 'talked' with a friend of hers who passed away a couple of years ago.

Lydia said...

What wonderful voices were born today.

It is 83 degrees after 8 at night here.