Total Pageviews

Thursday, October 13, 2011

Maggie to Vets ~ Zucchini Casserole ~ Navy Day

Good 44º morning. Got all the way up to 61º yesterday and stayed pretty cloudy and overcast all day. Kristen reported it was 100º at her house in San Gabriel~! Yikes, this is FALL, for Heaven's sake.

I had called the vet's on Tuesday afternoon to tell them Maggie had mucus dripping from her nose and it was tinged with blood.
They wanted her in yesterday morning first thing. The doc gave her an anaesthetic and probed her nose to see if it was a seed or foxtail or if it was infected. Coming home without her is always AWFUL! The doc called at 4:50 to say I could pick her up in about half an hour. He had found a mass in her nasal passage way at the back. He took samples to biopsy. I asked how often these things were malignant. He said in about 10% of cases. I'll know in a week. She is still feeling the affects of the anesthesia and NOT hungry. Last night she didn't eat anything. Poor baby girl. Worry worry worry...
 

Dinner was a concoction I made up. This was the second time I made this and it's darned good. You can use clams like I did or canned or just cooked chicken or salmon or vegetarian if you wish..... If you don't like potatoes, don't put them in or the carrots or onion or the peppers! But you have to put in zucchini. After all, it is a "zucchini casserole" !!!

Sue's Zucchini Casserole
3-4 zucchini cut into bite-sized pieces (I had one big one!)
2 bell peppers (red or green or both) or roasted red peppers
1 onion chopped
2 Yukon gold potatoes, bite size pieces
carrots cut up
2 cans clams (or whatever......)
1 can artichoke halves or quarters, drained
1 can cream of chicken soup
1 cube butter
1 inner package stuffing mix

Add zucchini and potatoes to pan and almost cover with water, drizzle over about 1/4 cup olive oil, season with salt and pepper. Cook med high until water evaporates, then stir with the oil and check for tenderness in the potatoes. Add to large bowl.
Sauté the onions and peppers until tender. Add to bowl.
Add carrots, clams, chicken soup and mix well.
Melt butter and add to stuffing mix. Mix well. Put half the stuffing mix in the bottom of a 9x9 pan, top with zucchini mixture, top with remaining stuffing mix. Bake 350º 35 minutes. Top with grated cheese if you wish and let sit about 5 minutes before serving.
 






Awesome one dish meal.

Historically this date....
1875 – The United States Continental Congress orders the establishment of the Continental Navy (later renamed the United States Navy).
HAPPY BIRTHDAY ALL YOU NAVY GUYS... (squids ...)

1792 – In Washington, D.C., the cornerstone of the United States Executive Mansion (known as the White House since 1818) is laid.

1962 – The Pacific Northwest experiences a cyclone the equal of a Cat 3 hurricane. Winds measured above 150 mph at several locations; 46 people died.
 

And births this date includes....
1915 – Cornel Wilde, American actor (d. 1989)

1921Yves Montand, Italian singer and actor (d. 1991)

 
1925 – Margaret Thatcher, English politician

 
1941Paul Simon, American singer and musician (Simon & Garfunkel)
 
1942 – Pamela Tiffin, American film actress
 
1959Marie Osmond, American entertainer

1962 – Kelly Preston, American actress
 
1967 – Kate Walsh, American actress
 
1969 – Nancy Kerrigan, American figure skater
 
1970 – Paul Potts, British opera singer
 
All I know. Nuff said. Ciao.
xo Sue-Mom-Bobo
October 13th
NAVY Day

My Dad, Leslie Laney, 16 years old, USN, 1917 WWI,
sailed to France aboard the USS Amerika.
Launched in 1905 as the USS Amerika, the name later anglicized to "America"...
BB63 .. USS Missouri ... Brian served aboard as a US Marine... a Marine Corps Detachment ... MARDET
GO NAVY!!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Give Maggie big hugs from us, and Chaka sends a big lick. Such a sweet girl!
Your dinner looked yummy! xoxo

Jeannie

Oregon Sue said...

Thanks, and thank you Chaka!

Anonymous said...

Sue,

Yes, big hugs for Maggie. Hope everything turns out fine for her. Such a sweetie.

Ohhhh that casserole looks so yummy! I'll bet you are having more for breakfast and lunch! What a HUGE zucchini you have there!

Oh Paul Potts!!! Love that guy! It was a highlight of my life when I got to see his concert in LA with John, Edda and Lydia! His wife looks so much like JJ's Lisa. Daryl used to chat with her on My Space.

Hugs, Trisha
p.s. You and Brian have your dad's eyes. I know I have said that before! :)

Oregon Sue said...

Thanks T. Yes, casserole for breakfast! I have a pasta dish I want to make for tonight, but might still have too much casserole left over.

Knew you'd enjoy the Paul Potts part.
I will give Maggs a hug from you!
Interesting about my dad, since I thought I looked like my Mom. Well, at least that is who I see in the mirror! xo

Anonymous said...

Sue,

Just the eyes. When I look at your dad's photos I just see your eyes. Don't you see it too?
I am forever amazed nowadays when I see some photos of myself. If I didn't know better I would think it's my mother I am seeing. It's uncanny!

XO Trisha

Oregon Sue said...

Ok, just the eyes. I can see Brian has my eyes, so I'll look closer at my Dad's. xo

Joe said...

Hope the Magster is going to be OK. SQUID???? I resemble that

Oregon Sue said...

Thanks Joe! Er, Squid. :o)