Total Pageviews

Thursday, April 21, 2011

~ Crockpot Artichokes ~ Eagles ~ Kindergarten Friends ~










Good 34º cloudy and gloomy morning. Rain yesterday, just under 1/4". We've had so much rain this season that places in Klamath that normally look like a desert, look like lakes now!


The forecast for Easter Sunday isn't the brightest...
Easter Egg hunts may have to go indoors!


Today is the 111th day of the year.



Yesterday was spent writing thank you notes for our JCRW. Ran out of envelopes, so will hook up with Ruth later today and pick some up.


An experiment yesterday in the kitchen. Artichokes cooked in the crockpot. Trim and cut off stem. I also peeled the stems to see what they would be like. Set chokes inside crockpot, add 2 cups boiling water, drizzle on lemon juice, olive oil, sprinkle with sea salt and pepper and garlic powder. Turn on and let 'em cook 6 hours if they are big. Unfortunately the one on the right was rotten in the middle. Didn't know that until I had topped it. Some of the leaves were fine as well as the heart. The peeled stem was just like the heart. All very tasty and I like the "set it and forget it" !




















The last two hours I put in an unpeeled sweet potato.
Cooked to perfection. The skin just plopped off!















Made three dips for the choke leaves: Mayo, guacamole, and salsa with sour cream. GREAT! The chokes do get dark leaving them in the water that long, but taste just fine.


Heard a funny bonking sound.... looked out and here were the turkeys sticking their heads down into the can to eat corn! Geesh....
 



Then I saw my blue birdie ... just sittin' on the perch ....



















When I wrote about William Holden the other day and mentioned the hat that Paul Harper had given Jerry I had been searching for a photo of Paul. I have one or two, but they are buried in a box somewhere. So I searched on line. I found one and it was related to a blog : Henry's Western Round Up   http://henryswesternroundup.blogspot.com/2011/04/meeks-not-mild.html  by Henry Parke, a Hollywood screenwriter. I contacted him re his email and told him about our friend Paul, information he didn't know. So, Henry put it in his blog. If you are a Western fan you will love his blog. Scroll over half way down, past the picture of Holden, and read the section titled "Paul Harper of the Wild Bunch" and he even, sweet of him, put in a link to my blog! Paul is in this Pace commercial, the gentleman in the full white beard, driving the wagon ..... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KeovVoYSGdg



The eagles have sunshine today.
Snow is melted. Babies are getting big...















Historically this date.....
1918World War I: German fighter ace Manfred von Richthofen, known as "The Red Baron", is shot down and killed over Vaux-sur-Somme in France.
1952Secretary's Day (now Administrative Professionals' Day) is first celebrated.
1982Baseball: Rollie Fingers of the Milwaukee Brewers becomes the first pitcher to record 300 saves.

And births this date include....
1915Anthony Quinn, Mexican-born American actor (d. 2001)
 
 




1935Charles Grodin, American actor
 



1951Tony Danza, American actor and comedian
 




Thought you might be interested in this bit of history..
The history of the condom. In 1872 the Arabs invented the condom, using a goat's lower intestine. In 1873 the British somewhat refined the idea by taking the intestine out of the goat first.    :o)

All I know. Nuff said. Ciao. Happy Thursday.
xo Mom-Soupy-Sue
April 21st.
Kindergarten Day
















(My kindergarten pals... 1951? top: unk, Linda Watterlond, unk, Kathy O'Brien, unk.
bottom: Robert Smeltz, me, Patrick Richmond (Richmond Lumber was his dad), unk)
When : Always April 21st

It's Kindergarten Day. The first day at Kindergarten is a memorable, exciting, nervous, and anxious time for mother and child. Most children and mothers will never forget the first day at Kindergarten. Hopefully, it was a good experience for all!

Kindergarten Day is celebrated in honor of Friedrich Froebel. He was born on this day in 1782. In 1837, he started the first Kindergarten in Germany. It became popular quickly. Kindergartens were originally a 1/2 day to get children acclimated into learning, social interaction, and school, in a fun, yet educational manner. Kindergarten has evolved in most areas into a full time program. This is partly the result of increasing pressures on education, and partly due to the increase in working mothers in America.


Celebrate today with a trip down memory lane. Pull out the old pictures of you and/or your child's first day at Kindergarten.

10 comments:

Lydia said...

Wow! That was fast with the blue birds. My little houses don'thave guests. Yet. Last year was the first year the blue birds hung out here.

Oregon Sue said...

The birds had already started their nest in the house and then I moved it from the rail up high so hopefully Mr. Racoon won't get the babies this year!

Galen "Ike" Sabean said...

The "goat" was funny, even though I had to read it twice. What can I say, I'm from Nova Scotia, I'm slow. :-) xo

Oregon Sue said...

LOL, Ike you are funny!!! xo

Anonymous said...

Sue,
thanks for the wester roundup site. I went there and found it very interesting!
Wow! $20K for pulling all your teeth? I don't think I would have done it!
But I guess that was big money back then.

Interesting photo of you and some kids. I can only remember Linda and Kathy. The others I can't recall at all.

John

Oregon Sue said...

Paul never did say, but maybe his teeth weren't all that good anyway. Or, he being a tad nutty, thought 20K back in 1969 would work for him. He was quite the character. I'll have to find that picture of him with Jerry.

Anonymous said...

Sue,
Enjoyed seeing the Pace video with Henry. I have seen it on TV but it was fun to know that you have contact with him.

Don't remember much from kindergarten. I attended Miss Lightcap's Kindergarten for a short time. Didn't like something they served for lunches and hated those cots for nap time! Didn't stay long as mother enrolled me as a boarding student at St. Mary's Academy for Girls in No. Little Rock. Started there at 5-1/2 in 1st grade!! Oh what pitiful memories I have of that place! Waaaay too young to be away from my mommie.
Loved seeing your blue bird on the patriotic house perch. Too cute!

Hugs, Trisha

Sarah said...

I love artichokes, Dick isn't! Anyway, when Tom and I went to London in 1985, the official celebration of the Queen's birthday was held. That was in June, so we had the big tennis matches and that celebration to add to our various sight seeing trips.

Oregon Sue said...

Henry writes weekly, not daily, so he puts a lot into his blogs! xoxo

Anonymous said...

Sue:

Beautiful picture this morning. There's only one bad thing about reading your blog, I always come away hungry! Uug!! And those darn turkeys got the squirrels food. They just might have to be dinner one night. Also love the bird house. Someday, I'll tell you what happened last year when I tried to feed the birds here in the city. Feathers everywhere!

Take care and keep blogging along.
Kathy