Total Pageviews

Wednesday, February 16, 2011

SNOW! ~ Raindrops ~ Turkey under Trampoline ~ Almonds









Good 32º snowing morning! Yes, snow. I didn't realize it until Maggie came in and had flakes on her back!


































Rained all day yesterday. I played with my fish-eye lens...












Sniff sniff sniff.....















I know, weird effects.... fun.

My creek, dry most of the year, is running like crazy now...
















You all know that turkeys aren't the brightest of critters...
While it was raining so hard yesterday there was actually
one turkey with somewhat of a brain. While the others were
all standing in the rain, yes, just standing....
this guy was under the trampoline staying dry!














I got several things done I had been meaning to.
One was getting my laptop on line with my new modem.
Took a while. That was about all the excitement here.
I didn't do any cooking but since yesterday was Gumdrop Day
I made a gumdrop martini............... (from yesterday's blog)
I didn't have "lemon rum" so I used lime rum. Didn't have Southern Comfort so used JD. It was an interesting drink. VERY potent!
  









Historically this date...
1859 – The French Government passes a law to set the A-note above middle C to a frequency of 435 Hz, in an attempt to standardize the pitch.
     whatever that means.....
1868 – In New York City the Jolly Corks organization is renamed the Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks.
    The "Jolly Corks" ??? LOL   No wonder....
1923Howard Carter unseals the burial chamber of Pharaoh Tutankhamun.
1968 – In Haleyville, Alabama, the first 9-1-1 emergency telephone system goes into service.


And births this date include....(odd group today)
1921 – Vera-Ellen, American actress (d. 1981)
(A fav movie...White Christmas)






1935Sonny Bono, American entertainer politician (d. 1998)








1954 – Margaux Hemingway, American actress and model (d. 1996)









1958 – Ice-T, American rapper and actor
 (and wife Coco)







1959John McEnroe, American tennis player
  
 (What a cry baby!!!)

So, all I know. Nuff said. Happy Wednesday!
xo Mom/Soupy/Sue
February 16th
National Almond Day









Almond Salad with baby spinach and sardines....
This salad perfectly marries the flavors of sardines and soy sauce: ultra-umami! It is simple to prepare and will make a great addition to your salad repertoire. You’ll see why salads don’t have to be dull.
Serves 2.
















  • 1  ounce sliced almonds
  • 2oz  baby spinach
  • 1 tin of sardines in oil (buy top quality)
  • 1-1/2 tablespoons fresh-squeezed lemon juice
  • 1 tablespoons top-quality soy sauce
  • 1/2 teaspoon honey
  • Salt
  • Fresh-ground black pepper
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
Directions
  1. Toast the almond slices until they change color, either under the broiler or in a pan, and set aside to cool.
  2. Drain the oil from the sardines and cut the cress into bite-size pieces.
  3. Make the dressing by combining the lemon juice, soy sauce, honey, salt, pepper and oil.
  4. Arrange the cress on a plate and place the sardines on top.
  5. Just before serving, sprinkle with the almonds and drizzle the dressing over the salad.

6 comments:

Sarah said...

Good morning, burr, I don't envy your current weather. Our dry creeks are no longer dry as well. Some even have white water. I love your bridge. Did you design and build it. Well, I was up all night (again) but this time I was working on the police report. It is now in the edit stage. I'll e you a copy of the file. I need to visit Costco later to have my printer black ink refilled. Is suppose to be completed in one hour. It is close to a post office and I need to send Julie's birthday card and gift off to her. Dinner tonight is one of my favorites from the 1970s, Beef Stroganoff, oh, fattening but good. On the doctor's scale it said I've lost five pounds! Stay warm and safe, kiddo

Oregon Sue said...

Yes, I just got a flyer on the Costco ink refilling. Naturally I just purchased new ink at Staples! I'll try it next time. Sure a lot cheaper!! Your dinner sounds good. LOVE stroganoff. Mmmm... makin' my mouth water. xo

Anonymous said...

Sue,

Brrrr is right! We have had rain here all night.
How neat to get up and find it snowing but I would need lots of heat in the house! I can't imagine little Lola going out in the snow to do her business. lol

Your fish eye lenz looks like fun.
I too love the looks of your white bridge. Did you have it built not too long ago?

It's lunch with the girls today. (Curves ladies) We call ourselves that because most of us met there but most no longer are members.

Have a good day and stay warm!

Hugs, Trisha

Oregon Sue said...

Sarah and T, the bridge was here prior to us moving here. We just had it reffurbished and painted. It needs repainting again. Weather is hard on it.

Lydia said...

Do you think Ice T married Coco for her brains? Pretty obvious where his are located):-

Physically- not much scares me. But trampolines do. A friend of Kenny's broke his neck on one.

Kind of odd since I loved to ski- and look how that ended for Sony Bono. The man remembered for an ex-wife taking center stage at his funeral followed by his last wife taking his job.

Thanks for the help with the photo enhancements for my blog. I picked 2.

Oregon Sue said...

Funny you should say that about Coco, there are pictures of her on stage with Ice-T and showing off her naked attributes and he touching them with his tongue. ON STAGE! Gross. You are welcome re the photos. xo