Total Pageviews

Tuesday, February 22, 2011

~ Chicken Dinner ~ Margarita Day ! ~


    
Good 28º morning. Iced up again.
















Yesterday turned out great and the sun came out and it was
so warm I opened windows and doors. Then.....
this big huge black cloud floated in and blocked the sun.

















Immediate cold! Got some logs in and started a fire.
This was at 3 o'clock!! Got nice and toasty in here.     
Maggs and I went to town yesterday, to the market specifically. I got a whole chicken, radishes, and asparagus. I came home, cleaned the chicken and put the giblets and neck in a pot of water with garlic and onion and pepper corns and red pepper flakes. Set that to boil for stock. I dry rubbed the chicken with a mixture of garlic powder, onion powder, black pepper, sea salt, thyme, paperika, Italian seasoning, and cumin. About 1 t. of each. Plopped the chicken in the crockpot and set on high for 5 hours. No liquid added.  An hour before it was done I added some asparagus and radishes.
    















If you have never cooked radishes, they are wonderful!!! Cooking takes the 'bite' out of them and they are still crunchy and good. Cooking chicken this way makes it come out like the rotisserie kind you buy.

While I was at the store I was chatting with Christy the checker. She was lamenting that her blender died and they were expensive. I told her I had a red one
used half a dozen times,
and would sell it to her
for $10. OMG, she was
happy. AND, her kitchen
has red appliances too! Yeah, now the
blender goes to a good home and I
don't have to deal with it any more.


PatC and Tim came over about 5pm. Tim fixed the toilet! Yeah. We had a drink and chatted and then off they went to their next project! Oh, and they wanted me to take their picture and want me to Photo Shop it so it looks like Tim is holding a sign... to be determined later. Fun.


Historically this date....
1879 – In Utica, New York, Frank Woolworth opens the first of many of 5 and dime Woolworth stores.
   I loved shopping at the one on Hollywood Blvd just down the street from my grandmother's. Ahhhh, the memories. And their lunch counter. Low with swivel stools. Such fun!
1959Lee Petty wins the first Daytona 500.
1980Miracle on Ice: In Lake Placid, New York, the United States hockey team defeats the Soviet Union hockey team 4-3, in what is considered to be one of the greatest upsets in sports history.
1997 – In Roslin, Scotland, scientists announce that an adult sheep named Dolly had been successfully cloned.


And births this date include....
1732George Washington, First President of the United States (d. 1799)








1857 – Lieutenant-General
British soldier, author, and founder of the
Scout movement (d. 1941)
English founder of the Girl Guide (d. 1977)
  






Imagine, the same birthday as her husband!


1908 – Sir John Mills, English actor (d. 2005)
Father of Haley.








1932Ted Kennedy, American politician (d. 2009)









1934Sparky Anderson, American baseball manager (d. 2010)










1962Steve Irwin, Australian herpetologist (d. 2006)

1975Drew Barrymore, American actress







So dinner was fabulous. Fire was snuggy.
We watched TV until we woke from our nap
and went to bed! Today is dental cleaning day.
UGH. Love Liz, hate the cleaning part. She is the one
who gave me her mom's recipe for the zucchini
relish that is soooooo good and loved by everyone
who tries it.  Will drop the blender off at the market for Chris.
All I know. Happy Tuesday. Nuff said. Ciao.
xo Mom/Soupy/Sue
February 22nd
National Margarita Day! 

12 comments:

Lydia said...

So the Baders had a Catherine Zeta- Jones/ Michael Dougals thing going on. Much older man, but same birthday and interests.

Will try the radishes cooked. Peppery tastes go so well with crispy.

Vanette Christensen said...

As you can see above, today's Birthday's include both Lord Baden-Powell, who began Boy Scouts, and his wife, Lady Baden-Powell, who began Girl Guides. Because of this, Today is also World Thinking Day for Girl Scouts and Girl Guides everywhere...
A day to think of other Sisters in Scouting around the world and to promote Scouting at home and abroad.
BTW.... Girl Scouts of the USA celebrates 99 years of Scouting on March 12, 2011.
And to think that a very precocious little girl, who climbed banisters and didn't mind her high society parents very well, and who was nearly deaf in both ears, went on to start Girl Scouts in the USA at the ripe old age of 52 in her home town of Savannah, Georgia. Juliette Gordon Lowe (a good friend of Lady Baden Powell) was an amazing woman who saw the importance of building values, skills and strong character in young girls in the USA and her legacy continues as part of the largest girl/woman organization in the World today. Happy World Thinking Day to Girls and Women everywhere, especially those who ever had the joy of being a Girl Scout or a Girl Guide.
Have a great day...!!!

Oregon Sue said...

Thanks Vanette!!!! I too was a Girl Scout but didn't know all of that. xo

Anonymous said...

Good Morning...........Cooked Radishes - who would've guessed - never heard of that - but certainly will try it now. Beautiful pics !!!!!
Marene

Anonymous said...

Thanks Sue for the instructions for putting the digital
card into the computer. We may have learned
something yet, if I'm able to send pictures.

Your chicken with asparagus looks good. Always hated
radishes because of the bite, but might be good if that
is gone. Sure makes a pretty picture.

Take care, Cyndi

Anonymous said...

Sue,
Yes, I will also try the cooked radishes. I always have a platter of raw veggies and non fat ranch dip for snacking. Love radishes raw with a tad of salt. Never thought of cooking them. I do like the "bite" tho.
During the time we had the last headquarters it was funded by a Chinese man who didn't know you could buy chicken pieces! lol He always brought in (had Daryl go buy) the roasted whole chicken from Costco for grand opening, etc. He and Daryl would cut it up and oh my goodness it was everyone's favorite thing! Oh good! I will need to fix one that way in the crock.
We have had chicken n dumplins for two nights now and still have a big pot full! Guess I can freeze it for another time as John starts to grumble when it's the third night of leftovers! :(
I bought a little red blender with Lydia at Sur La Table and have yet to use it! :(
Sooo today is Margarita Day? Well, can't let that day go unnoticed! Will have to have one tonight made with the very high end tequila that belongs to Daryl! :)

Have a good day!
Hugs, Trisha

Anonymous said...

What a deal for that blender! I love red in my kitchen too! You don't use it, Sue? Not even on Margarita Day?

That Chicken looks scrumptious! Can't wait to try that!

Sparky Anderson came to dinner at Gary's Folks when Gary was kid. Sparky was in town and was craving some Home Cooking. Gary's Mom was a great cook. <3 T and G

Oregon Sue said...

There you go, T ... make your Maggies in the new blender! xo

Oregon Sue said...

How cool about Sparky coming to Gary's for dinner! As for the blender, I don't drink that many Maggies, so I buy the already blended ones. I'll shake it up in my cocktail shaker with some ice. xo

Anonymous said...

S,

I don't do the blended Maggies anymore. Gave me brain freeze so I order them on the rocks now. Much better and don't feel like I'm eating a snow cone! :) Oh I do have several shakers and use one when I think about it.

XO Trisha

Sarah said...

I was just mentioning to Dick the other day we were in Brownies and Girl Scouts together. I was picking a Lotto number and tried to remember our troop number. 7-something. Howie loves radishes, so I think I'll try it in a crock pot chicken like you cooked thenm. I went back into my blog URL today and decided to start writing again. I looked up Scentsational Wedding Flowers in SBC as a dba and it's available. Learned this county's procedures today with regard to writs. Had a visit from that department's Sgt. A real piece of work. Anyway, the attorney fraudalently shown as that of record is sending a letter to the Sgt. stating he did not prepare the document the Sheriff's Court Services received. I am getting sick and tired of this all. Rain due to move in this weekend.

Oregon Sue said...

I think our troop was 727. ??? Geeze. Me thinks brain froze!!