Total Pageviews

Friday, January 28, 2011

~ Pasture Mist ~ Squash Salad? ~ Blueberry Pancakes! ~









Good cold, 29º, foggy morning. What else.  The pressure is dropping. Weather guy said to expect rain, maybe, tonight and tomorrow, Saturday. With what the pressure gauge is doing, it will snow not rain!

Yesterday morning the sun came out and the steam was rising from the frozen grass and barn roof...


















































I decided I needed to do something with the big pumpkin and squash I had sitting here. The pumpkin has been out on the porch and same as refrigerated so it hadn't deteriorated.

 













I researched and searched for a recipe using cooked pumpkin, squash, sweet potato, etc..... for a type of salad. Nothing, nada, zip. So, I invented one....

I cut, peeled, and diced the squash. Put it in a bowl and drizzled on my garlic infused olive oil, Napa Rosemary/Citrus sea salt, Sonoma pepper, and put it in the oven at 400º for about 15 minutes. It was just al denté.








Then I cut the pumpkin, scraped out the seeds, laid the quarters on cookie sheets, sprinkled with olive oil, sea salt, and some balsamic pomegranate vinegar... baked at 400º about 40 minutes ...














 


I also cut an onion, set it in foil, added olive oil, salt and pepper, wrapped it up and cooked it in the oven with the pumpkin...











When the onion and pumpkin were cool I diced just a little of the pumpkin and all of the onion. The remaining pumpkin will be thought about today..... Hmmmm..... ideas?

Next I microwaved 3 sweet potatoes and one red potato (because that was all I had!), let them cool, diced them





 ... diced and cooked some bacon..



I put all the ingredients in a big bowl along with a
can of black olives and grape tomatoes and mixed it up.













To serve it put some of the mixture in a serving bowl and
drizzled on Greek Feta Dressing that Kristen had given me.....




I also sprinkled on some roasted pumpkin seeds. OMG.... it was OUTSTANDING!

Now the pumpkin seeds turned out awesome. First I rinsed them and then put them in salted boiling water for 5 minutes. Drained and dried them well in a towel. The I sprinkled them with garlic infused olive oil, Napa Rosemary/Citrus sea salt and Slap Ya Mama Cajun Seasoning.... and baked them in a 350º oven for about 30 minutes. Let them cool well. You can just eat the whole thing without cracking the outside shell.




















We had a very snuggy fire and watched some good TV.

Historically this date...

1887 – In a snowstorm at Fort Keogh, Montana, the world's largest snowflakes are reported, 15 inches (38 cm) wide and 8 inches (20 cm) thick. 



  

And births this date include......
1939John M. Fabian, NASA astronaut









1950Barbi Benton, American actress


1981Elijah Wood, American actor











And here's an interesting idea...
Cook your artichokes in the crockpot! I'm gonna give this a try very soon.














All I know. UPS will be making a delivery to me today from Omaha (I know, it always looks like Obama to me!) Steaks... a special deal at a special price....
(1 pkg.) Boneless Pork Chop 4/4 Oz
(1 pkg.) Stfd Sole W/sclp&crab 2/4.5
(1 pkg.) Beef Lasagna 24oz
(1 pkg.) Filet Mignon 2/6 Oz
(1 pkg.) Top Sirloin Steaks 2/6 Oz
(1 pkg.) Omaha Steaks Burgers 4/4 Oz
(1 pkg.) Chicken Breast, Bnl 1 Lb
(1 pkg.) Franks Gourmet 4/3 Oz
(1 pkg.) Potatoes Stfd Baked 4/5.75 Oz
(1 pkg.) Cheesecake Carnegie Deli 4"
(1 pkg.) Vegetable Medley 2/7 Oz
(1 pkg.) Beef Sirloin Tips 2/1#
(1 pkg.) Potatoes Au Gratin 8 Count


















I'm gonna eat good!
On a good note, my friend Candy came through her eye
surgery very well.  I will see her tomorrow.
Her hubby Bob is reovering nicely from
his shoulder surgery and being typical male.... LOL, hi Bob!
And Debbie didn't have to have the root canal after all. YEAH.
She, I heard from PJ is doing good. Glad my friends are all
mended!!!
Nuff said. Happy Friday!!
Pro-Bowl on Sunday!
 xo Mom/Soupy/Sue
January 28th
National Blueberry Pancake Day





Drooling.....................................

































10 comments:

Anonymous said...

As always your recipes are so tempting. I have never roasted pumpkin seeds,but they look yummay.
Our weather is still warm. Next week about Tuesday or Wednesday the rains return.

I have leftover candied fruit from making Christmas Jewel cookies last December. I found a recipe for hot cross buns (one of my favorites0 and I think the flour to liquid ratio is off, so next week I will modify the recipe, and try again.

I need to do some vacuuming today and look for a great chicken and rice recipe.

The movie Sectrtarit is available from our DirecTV. I think we will order it for viewing today.

About it, happy Friday to you,
Sarah

Oregon Sue said...

My girlfriend made me some of the Christmas Jewel cookies. They are awesome!!!!
Let me know about the movie... I LOVE Diane Lane. xo

Lydia said...

God bless those willing to lead, for they are the ones who face danger. That his wife is the one who was put in a life-threatening situation- the irony cannot be lost on Rep. Gifford's astronaut husband.

I am so glad you are enjoying the NapaStyle salt. Will send the pumpkin recipe to my friend at the company.
Blessings- Lydia

Oregon Sue said...

That salt is soooooooooooo good on EVERYTHING!!! Thank you again and again! xoxo

Anonymous said...

I love Sunflower Seeds! I can't wait to try the artichoke recipe- saw it somewhere.

Your Salad looks so healthy, even Michelle Obama would approve! Speaking of M.O.- she's so busy making sure everyone eats healthy while her husband smokes cigarettes! Yeck! Love- t and g

Oregon Sue said...

You made me laugh. You are right. Priorities should start with the family. LOL....ox

Anonymous said...

The dish you made looks deelich.... I know what you can do with the left over pumpkin. Make a soup - and then process it in the blender or food processor. Deelich.

Ruth

Oregon Sue said...

GREAT idea Ruth! Thanks! xxoo

Anonymous said...

S,

Well I FOUND it! Wrote you a note that I couldn't find the comments but I looked and looked and found that I had to scan waaaaay down. Everything is strange today.

How ironic that Astronaut Fabian has a birthday on the day of the Challenger explosion.
When it happened the Herrera's and the Bowlers were getting ready to leave Las Vegas and stopped in a gas station. Heard on their TV about it. We thought back and remembered hearing the maids in the hotel excited and talking an "exlosion" All the way home we listened to the news and heard President Reagan's memorable speech where he said "they touched the face of God". So sad.
One of our male teachers at Chaparral had volunteered to be the teacher to go up on that trip but didn't get chosen. Bet he, Mr. Frank, was saying his prayers of thanks that day.

Loved seeing your pics and your recipes. You never cease to amaze me, girl! Kudos!!

Hugs, Trisha

Anonymous said...

I meant Pumpkin Seeds! lol.