Total Pageviews

Thursday, March 17, 2016

St Paddy's Day ~ Some of My Irish History ~ Rogue River Critters ~ Nancy & Taqueria La Guacamaya


Good 38º foggy/cloudy and HAPPY ST PADDY'S DAY morning!!!

A wee top o the mornin' to ye!


The plan was to cook my corned beef and cabbage/carrot dinner today, but plans changed. Will put it in the pot tomorrow and enjoy a quiet uncluttered St. Paddy's day over again.


Today is the day we are all Irish. We can talk funny and wear green and eat good Irish grub and drink Irish beer. My Irish is on my Dad's side. Laney....  The original Gaelic form of Laney was O'Dubhshlaine and first appeared in recorded history around 950 AD. The O' means "grandson of" of later, "descendant of". Dubh means "black", as in dark-haired.  Shalain is a territorial name referring to the district from which the river Slaney takes its name. So, best translation is "the dark-haired ones of Slaney". LOL, and my name is Susan Laney! Various forms of the name are Laney, DeLaney, DuLaney, with variations of spellings of each. The Laney name was once spelled ""Leighneigh".  
St. Patrick's Day is officially a Catholic holiday and the Catholic Irish color is green. I am of Protestant ancestry and the Protestants color is orange, but for this day I like the green!
Where the red dot/arrow is, is where the River Laney is...


https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEgE4tOVkrXGXy3pyY_TpBy582CJi9gZ7ZbFnns4gGNjmcO06nbQpbO2hweI1yf2EphT9xUcBlSq3g2T92v9dJog7Wb_8wUF7yOseG_FcYZiyJnZz0Bl6xsXsk6jXsI9eTTAjvkS5cxh5tE/s1600/LaneyMA29375082-0006.jpg
May the road rise to meet you. May the wind be always at your back. May the sun shine warm upon your face. May the rains fall soft upon your fields and until me meet again, May the Lord hold you in the palm of His hand.
Here's to your health!
https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEjPTd5Iahdn2SK9a46-0JGJKDMtnHEGDQvyDHuzFSwifEZ8mqY9hd5f8zsFIVavWP6mN1DHJf8ukvGlfPQ5EXl3IWYNAXoERumJkWLDGK8klRX-PSCu2wl-0-_fwTL_DU2XZX8rHJO_3m4/s1600/GuinnesMA28964532-0026.jpg





Yesterday I met Nancy at a new restaurant in Rogue River, Taqueria La Guacamaya, by the Depot Street Bridge to buy her lunch for her birthday. 
I got there a tad early so went into the parking lot under the bridge to see what the Rogue River was doing...
Birds and geese and ducks all along the water's edge....



This Chinese goose was cruising by and giving me the "look". 

These are domesticated geese descended from the wild swan goose ... ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swan_goose ) and they often have this strongly developed basal knob on the upper side of it's bill. It is more prominent on males.
So then he comes up out of the water on the boat ramp and is making funny sounds. So, I imitate his sounds and he comes right up close and chatters away!
Too funny!


Then to the restaurant. 

The salsa and chips were GREAT! Loved that salsa.

I got a pork tamale and a soft chicken taco, came with rice and beans and I put that salsa on everyhing! Such great food!!!!

I wrote a review on TripAdvisor for the restaurant. I want to go back every day!!! I said that I had some knowledge of what good Mexican food was, having grown up in East LA! LOL. (Sure miss King Taco and their lengua tacos!!!) Anyway, this place is awesome and I will go back often. I had wine and Nancy had Mexican beer. They have breakfast, lunch, and dinner menus. 



Later I was talking to Brian and he said he knows the owner, Julio, quite well. In fact, Brian is his insurance (State Farm) man!! Cool. 



Historically this date....
1963 – Mount Agung erupted on Bali killing 11,000.
1969 – Golda Meir becomes the first female Prime Minister of Israel.
1985 – Serial killer Richard Ramirez, aka the "Night Stalker", commits the first twomurders in his Los AngelesCalifornia murder spree.
2008 – Governor of New York Eliot Spitzer resigns after a scandal involving a high-end prostitute. Lieutenant Governor David Paterson becomes New York State governor

And births this date include...
1919 – Nat King Cole, American singer (d. 1965)
1930 – James Irwin, American astronaut (d. 1991)
1936 – Ken Mattingly, American astronaut
1938 – Rudolf Nureyev, Russian-born dancer and choreographer (d. 1993)
1951 – Kurt Russell, American actor
1955 – Gary Sinise, American actor


The DirecTV guy is supposed to be here this morning. HOPEFULLY!
All I know. Nuff said. Happy St. Patrick's Day. Ciao.

xo Sue Mom Bobo
March 17th
Corned Beef & Cabbage Day

3 ways to cook corned beef:

5 comments:

Lydia said...

Dear Sue- What your readers would do for a video of you talking with the geese.

My father's side was predominately Irish, from Clare County, which once took in some of the Spanish Armada sailors who survived a sinking of ships. Which is why dark hair predominates in our family...so the story goes.

His people were Catholic. Landed in America, became Boston Cops. Watching our holidays- they took on Parades and invented corned beef as a way of keeping up with our established US Traditions.

Have a GOOD one.

Oregon Sue said...

I will work on that goose video, L! From my Irish to your Irish, have a great St. Paddy's Day!!! xo

Anonymous said...

Top of the mornin to ye!!

I, too, am Irish on my father's side. Some Scottish too.

We had our corned beef dinner a couple of days early. I bought four the other day and couldn't wait! :) Leftovers last night!

I enjoyed reading about your and Lydia's Irish roots. Wish I knew more about mine.

Your Mexican lunch looked delicious but I can't imagine going to a Mex restaurant and not having a Maggie! :)

HAPPY ST. PATTY'S DAY TO YOU!

XOXO Trisha

Oregon Sue said...

Hi Irish T! As for the maggie at lunch, they just opened and a liquor license takes time. Getting a 'beer/wine' permit is easier and usually precedes the liquor license. I'm sure in time they will get it.
Happy St. Paddy's to you too!!! xo

Anonymous said...

AHHHHH I see! In fact there is a Mex restaurant over the hill in Rowland Heights that served me the worse Maggie I have ever had. When I asked what in the heck they did to it, they told me they make them with WINE! ewwwww
Turns out they have a wine and beer license but no liquor license. Appalling for a Mex restaurant. I can see if they were new but this place has been around forever.
So the next time I cut to the chase and ordered my Chardonnay. :)

XO Trisha