Total Pageviews

Monday, December 12, 2011

Sky! ~ Knife Attack on Friends's Family ~ Movie Reviews ~ Chocolate Martini


Good 24º frozen (what else) morning, BUT.... I can see sky! And that means we will get SUN!



Yesterday the gloom never left nor the cold. We topped out at 36º. No sunrise. No sunset. Boooooo......

... and Maggie kept an eye on everything ...

The blue light is out and on my desk. I cleaned the oven. Baked a chicken. Yummmm. Cleaned out the fridge. Wrapped two presents. Played solitaire on the computer. Did a load of laundry. Took the trash to the road. Ya know, some days are just a thrill a minute.


I found this interesting and helpful in regards to cooking oils...

Olive oil
is my favorite, but I do LOVE grapeseed oil
 
for special dishes...





Debbie and Tom are friends of mine. On December 9th Tom's brother and his wife were attacked in their home and their throats were slashed by their estranged son-in-law.
Their wounds were not life threatening and their lives were saved by their neighbor (a real hero!) who beat their attacker with a golf club! The attacker is Jonathan Manley Burlew of Woodland Hills. Hopefully he will suffer the full extent of the law!


Here is Tom's brother and his wife, Frank and Diane, with their grandchildren who witnessed their father attack them....
What darling kids and what a horrible trauma in their lives.
Keep us updated Debbie. Glad to hear Frank & Diane will be OK.


Last night I watched three movies. One bad, one ok, one good. The first one was lousy...
Jennifer Aniston and Jake Gyllenhaal. UGH. What a waste of time. Not only was there graphic sex but the ending was just stupid!
Then there was Wall Street: Money Never Sleeps
With Michael Douglas and Shia LaBeouf. Maybe I'd give it an "ok" but not enthusiastically. LaBeouf is boring. Douglas is weird.
The last one was good. Unknown with Liam Neeson.
Drama. Mystery. Oh my the excitement. And such a strange ending. I liked it. Kept me interested. I see that on DirecTV it will be shown a bunch of times for a while.

 
Historically this date...... Ok, let me explain.... yesterday's blog contained things that happened today in history, not yesterday. Also the births listed were for 12-12. So, to make up for that faux pas today I will list historical happenings for yesterday 12-11 and births for yesterday 12-11. Groan....

1941World War II: Germany and Italy declare war on the United States, following the Americans' declaration of war on Japan in the wake of the attack on Pearl Harbor. The United States, in turn, declares war on Germany and Italy.

1972Apollo 17 becomes the sixth and last Apollo mission to land on the Moon.

2008Bernard Madoff is arrested and charged with securities fraud in a $50 billion Ponzi scheme.

 
And births this date include............. (remember it's for 12-11)
1889Walter Knott, American farmer (d. 1981)

 
1912Carlo Ponti, Italian film producer (d. 2007)

 
1931Rita Moreno, Puerto Rican actress


 

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
1939Tom Hayden, American politician and activist


1942Donna Mills, American actress


1943John Kerry, American politician

(That's enough to make you puke! Sorry, beeotch, I don't buy any Heinz products anymore. Oh look... my favorite catsup ..
 
 !!)

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
1944 – Teri Garr, American film actress


 

1944 – Lynda Day George, American actress
 

Gawd, she was a beauty! Whoppen??

 
 
1944 – Brenda Lee, American singer


1950 – Christina Onassis, American heiress (d. 1988)


1953Bess Armstrong, American actress

 
All I know. Still taking Zicam and gargling with apple cider vinegar/water. Sneezing some. Runny "dose"! No sore throat. Nuff said. Ciao.

xo Sue-Mom-Bobo
December 12th
National Cocoa Day
Ok, this can go several ways....
 
.............or.............


and the coup d'état : (oh be still my heart!)


Chocolate MartiniThere are many ways to make a chocolate martini. You can pick your favorite spirit such as light rum, vodka or brandy as a base spirit to mix with a chocolate liqueur. If you're looking for a fruity taste, pick a flavored vodka or rum such as citrus or raspberry. For a sweeter taste, use vanilla flavored vodka or rum. To garnish, coat a rim of martini glass or a swirl a chocolate syrup in a glass. Avoid putting the chunk of chocolate that sits at the bottom of the glass so that you won't choke on it.
Ingredients:
- 2 oz base spirit (vodka, light rum or brandy)
- 1/2 oz chocolate liqueur
- 1/2 oz white creme de cacao
- Chocolate syrup to coat rim of martini glass

Coat rim of martini glass with chocolate syrup. Mix all the ingredients in a cocktail shaker with ice and strain into a martini glass.

8 comments:

Lydia said...

God's blessings for a speedy recovery for your friend's family.

Golf clubs are good weapons. Third time I've heard of usage. Big Bertha may come in handy even if I never get back on the course.

Your aging pictures of personalities- I'm off to the gym!

Oregon Sue said...

Re golf clubs... remember when Tiger's wife went after him with one? LOL.

Anonymous said...

Hi Sue: I agree with your movie rankings. The Good
Girl I saw so long ago, all I remember is that it was a
real stinker. Not much story at all, and really stupid.

I have never seen Michael Douglas's Wallstreet. I've
seen it offered on demand tv many times, but just knew
I wouldn't like it.

But, "Unknown" with Liam Neeson was so good, we
saw it at the movies when it first came out and have
even watched it on t.v. again. Of course, only really
good the first time. That movie blew me away and I
agree....very strange ending.
Cyndi

Oregon Sue said...

Thanks Cyndi! You are the movie person!!!

Anonymous said...

Wow, how horrible about your friend's family. Wish them a speedy recovery, so sad the children had to witness such a horrible act! My heart goes out to them all.
Always wanted to see the movie the "Unknown". Will have to search for it and Tivo it. Thanks for the ratings.
Hope you are feeling better. Maybe today you should try that Martini???xo Jeannie
By the way, Lynda Day George? Wow!

Oregon Sue said...

I was going to call you after I saw the movie Unknown last night, but it was after 8pm. From the sound of it, good thing I didn't as you were probably in bed! I wanted to tell you that the movie is on a bunch of channels right now. Yes, Tivo it. xo

Anonymous said...

Sue,

I too wish your friend's family Gods speed in recovering. What a horrid thing to have happened and in front of his own children!! The man must be a crazy person!! Hope he is safely behind bars and stays there for a good long time for attempted murder!
I know a person who is a retired LAPD cop who was attacked in his garage by a burglar and got the guy good with Big Bertha! I think L was talking about the same incident.

Glad to hear your throat is better. John is now sick with it. I will have him start gargling when he gets home this evening. Poor baby sounds awful but God forbid he stay home for the day from work because of sickness!!

Hugs, XO Trisha

Oregon Sue said...

Thanks T, I hope John is better soon. xo