Total Pageviews

Sunday, November 6, 2011

SNOW! ~ Power Out ~ Habanero Martini ~ Nachos Day

Good 33º SNOWY morning! OMG.

Also, the time has changed back to Standard Time. Did you set your clocks?

So... about 12:50am (before changing clocks) Maggie gets up and starts walking around on the bed. She seemed upset. I went for the light but nope, no light. No projection clock on the ceiling. Hmmm... Get flashlight and go look. No light anywhere. No lights on the pump house or the barn. Throw another log in the wood stove and pour a glass of wine. Sigh....
Then I got the wild idea to call the power company. I have a hard line phone just for that sort of thing, since my portable phones won't work and I'm too far in the boonies for my cell to work. Anyway, I was the only one reporting an outage in this area. Talked to Shannon in Portland at Pacific Power. She was very nice and we chatted since she probably had nothing else to do! I told her I recalled working on early morning shift on time change night when the Lt. would come in at 2am and change the time back to 1am. Groan.... At least the extra hour was overtime!

I went out to take a picture of the pitch dark..about 2am when there was a light down at my gate...
Then the phone rang and it was 'Jeff' asking for the gate code. He came in and checked the pole out front and then hiked to the ones up toward the pond...
The snow was coming down. Jeff called me back about 2½ hours later. There had been a tree down close to here and one down up the road. 800 of us were without power. Most probably didn't know until they woke up this morning.



.... and Mr. Hippo has disappeared...
A tree in the back has a big branch down..
and the trampoline is full!
LOL. It does definitely need a new cover.

Historically this date..

1944Plutonium is first produced at the Hanford Atomic Facility and subsequently used in the Fat Man atomic bomb dropped on Nagasaki, Japan.

1977 – The Kelly Barnes Dam, located above Toccoa Falls Bible College near Toccoa, Georgia, fails, killing 39.

1985 – In Colombia, leftist guerrillas of the 19th of April Movement seize control of the Palace of Justice in Bogotá, eventually killing 115 people, 11 of them Supreme Court justices.

And births this date include....
1814Adolphe Sax, Belgian inventor (d. 1894)

Yeah for the saxophone!

1854John Philip Sousa, American composer (d. 1932)

1946Sally Field, American actress
And Fresno must be rockin' out today as Tom Graves (husband of Wilsonite Adelle Easton) celebrates his birthday today. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TOM!!!
Yesterday Nancy and PatT and I went to the Psychic Faire. What a waste of time and $. I did have a nice chat with Fred of the Aquarius Book Store. He's a client of Brian's and told me how much he likes Brian ... what a good agent he is.
So, then PatT went off in one direction and we found the art supply store. Nancy was happy and got some new watercolor art supplies. Run by a nice guy named Josh, next to The Mediterranean Restaurant. Then.............. it was time for a habañero martini at the Mediterranean. They are made with pomegranate juice and infused vodka.
AWESOME! With mine I had falafel (deep fried ball made from chickpeas and or fava beans), with tzatziki (cucumber and Greek yogurt sauce)
and Greek Fries (wedges of potato deep fried and sprinkled with parmesan cheese)
Nancy had the falafel in a pita bread with potato/leek soup.

We were both very satisfied and happy.

I dropped Nancy off and asked David how best to repair my back door hinge problem (screws keep coming out, even after inserting longer screws). He had told me earlier to get some dowels and insert them and then drive the screws through the dowels. Anyway, he came over later and put in some match sticks, glue, and fatter screws. I was not to use the door for 24 hours. Thanks David! I'll try the door later today.

All I know. Have a turkey breast in brine in the fridge. Will smoke that baby in a while. Can't wait. Have a great Sunday. I will be enjoying my snow view. Ciao.

xo Sue-Mom-Bobo
November 6th
National Nachos Day

12 comments:

Oregon Sue said...

Got the following from my friend Ike.... Made me laugh! xo to you too Ike!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
It's 0930 (God's time as my Grandma use to say!) where's my Blog?
OK I'll go to Costco in the rain and catch it when I get home!
Go back to sleep!

xo

Anonymous said...

Sue, I'm drooling all over the place after your show and tell about the trip to Harry and David's. Pea Green reflects the color. We're basically living on "fast food" right now...really no time to cook nuttin'. Maggie certainly looked forlorn standing on your porch... Edda

Anonymous said...

Nice pictures, Sue. 33 degrees huh? Snow, huh? Power out, huh? You know, today I don't envy you. Ha..
Onion Mike

Anonymous said...

BRRRR Good Sunday!
I am sitting here all wrapped up and cold anyway then when I saw your pics I am even colder now. lol Beautiful! How nice to have beautiful fall colored trees and now snow.

Your lunch looked yum yummy! You DO have fun girl! Yaaaaa

XOXO Trisha

Oregon Sue said...

Ya know, T, I DO have fun with my good girlfriends~ They are a blessing. xo

Anonymous said...

Awesome pictures! Love the ones you took at night. My brother plays the saxophone, so I am with you, yeah for the "sax"! Lunch looked great. Bill and I have to join you for that Martini, well, maybe I will have a sip. Being a SOW, not sure I could switch. LOL xo
Jeannie

Oregon Sue said...

We can do that martini thing any day but Thursday! Let's call the gang.

Galen "Ike" Sabean said...

Sue, my dear friend, I really do not mean to pick on you this AM. However, there was one important omission in Historically this date section. Also on this date in 1861 James Neismith invented the game of basketball. I care less about basketball. The important thing here is Jim was born in Ontario, "CANADA "!, my homeland!! God save the queen! Ike-E

Oregon Sue said...

OHHHHH NOOOOOOOO..... I left off a Canuck? I am so very sorry Ike. Begging your forgiveness..... (Yeah, like that's gonna happen! LOL)

Anonymous said...

Great stuff!! Love reading your blogs.

Rod

Oregon Sue said...

Thank you so very much, Rod!

Anonymous said...

Your Book Titles are hilarious !

Martini = Interesting. How does it taste ?

Gator