Total Pageviews

Monday, November 7, 2011

Smoked Turkey Breast ~ Dang Football! ~ Inquisitive Owl ~

Good 38º almost getting light at 6:30 am morning!
YEAH! I love it light earlier! The dark is depressing.

Here are three photos from yesterday... the snow didn't last long, it was just a pleasant surprise and interlude for a day..

First picture 2pm, then 4pm, then 5pm....



Sooooooooooo..... not happy camper about the games on TV yesterday. Sad about my Pats (lost to Giants. I HATE the Giants!!!), and even my daughter Kristen called me to say, "Mom, I heard you yelling all the way down here!"....... Sigh....................... Kristen's Jets beat the Bills, Brian's Colts lost to the Falcons :o( , and Alex's Dolphins beat the beejebers out of the Chiefs! Wow, the Ravens beat the Steelers, Packers beat the Chargers, the 'Lambs' lost to the Cardinals (giggle), and the Raiders lost to the Broncos (Yeah!). Ok, enough football.
 
Mr. Squirrel made a visit for some corn...
... and Maggie napped...

Yesterday I smoked a turkey breast. First I put it in a large zip bag and added about 4 cups of water mixed with 1 cup of salt and let it sit in the fridge over night.
 

 
Then I dried it off, drizzled on some olive oil and spices: Garlic/Lemon, Pepper/Orange, Fisherman's Wharf (which I get at the Jacksonville Mercantile and it includes:salt, black pepper, parsley, garlic, white onion, lemon peel, green peppercorns, and green onion. Good on fish or poultry. Check their site: www.urbanaccents.com ) and Bob's Seasoning salt (I like the celery taste) and paprika.

250º and 1 hr per pound... so this smoked for 4 hrs 45 min.
With Bill's expertise, this came out great! Very moist and perfect.

Then I cooked some bow tie pasta, cut up some asparagus, added a few turns of olive oil to a hot pan, added canned sliced mushrooms (liquid and all) and the asparagus. When the liquid was gone the asparagus was cooked and then I stir fried them in the oil that was left. Added the pasta ....




and voilá      
   dinner!

 
Historically this date....
1908Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid are reportedly killed in San Vicente, Bolivia.

1910 – The first air freight shipment (from Dayton, Ohio, to Columbus, Ohio) is undertaken by the Wright Brothers and department store owner Max Moorehouse.

1940 – In Tacoma, Washington, the original Tacoma Narrows Bridge collapses in a windstorm, a mere four months after the bridge's completion.

1944 – Franklin D. Roosevelt elected for a record fourth term as President of the United States of America.

19831983 United States Senate bombing: a bomb explodes inside the United States Capitol. No people are harmed, but an estimated $250,000 in damage is caused.

"On January 20, 2001, the day he left office, President Bill Clinton commuted Evans's sentence." What an ASSHOLE!
(sorry... but he is!)

2000Hillary Rodham Clinton is elected to the United States Senate, becoming the first former First Lady to win public office in the United States, although actually she still was the First Lady. (GAG GAG AND MORE GAG)

2000 – Controversial US presidential election that is later resolved in the Bush v. Gore Supreme Court Case.
(Thank GOD Gore didn't come out on top!)
 

And births this date include....
1918 – Billy Graham, American evangelist

 
1952David Petraeus, American military commander
.... run him for President! He won't act like an arrogant turd or bow to the enemy!

1959 – Keith Lockhart, American orchestral conductor
..... Boston Pops, a big favorite of mine!
And down in the depths of Diamond Bar California, is my friend Lydia who is celebrating her marriage to Gerry today. HAPPY 36TH ANNIVERSARY kids!!! xo
 
I LOVE owls. You will get a giggle out of this video....

 
All I know. Nuff said. Happy Monday! Ciao.
xo Sue-Mom-Bobo
November 7th
National Bittersweet Chocolate w/ Almonds Day
 

 

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Way to go on the turkey! Looked fabulously (new word) yummy, along with the rest of your meal. xo
jeannie

Oregon Sue said...

Thanks pal!!!!! xo

Lydia said...

Thank you for remembering our special day!

A retired LA Times Attorney had an election watch party following the Bush v Gore election. He invited us all to stay until it was over. Bet he and his wife were glad we didn't take him up on that.

My mother was staying with us when the news broke that the Democrats had tried to block the military vote in Florida. As she was a Florida enlistee back in WWII- and a staunch Democrat- she put her head down on the kitchen counter and cried.

She never voted again. That particular crew broke her heart.

Great idea to brine the turkey before smoking!
I am thinking about cooking a turkey breast for our anniversary tomorrow (better early than late) but the bird will have to go in the oven. Dietary restrictions- may they soon end for my husband.

Anonymous said...

Oh Sue,

Your turkey breast looks like it came right out of a gourmet magazine! Girl you will be eating turkey for days now but I suspect the fur kids will help out with that.
Year before last I brined a 22 lb. turkey. What a hassle that was. Never again. To say that around Eric, he says "Mom I did all the work"! Will it was still a hassle and won't do that again unless it's a smaller bird or a breast.
Loved your snowy pics yesterday. Too bad it didn't last a while but I am sure it will be back.

Sorry about your Pats. I was rooting for them! It was a close one.
Lydia, the couple who had us over for the 2000 election night party, he was a VP with LA Times. That shocked us because he was a staunch Republican. His wife was a member of our club.
XOXO Trisha

Oregon Sue said...

I'm sure I will cut up the turkey and make several different dishes with it.

Interesting about the VP with LA Times! xo

Anonymous said...

But my 49ers won! I thought it was a GREAT football day! I feeling a glimmer of hope that the Glory Days might be coming back! Val

Oregon Sue said...

Good for you Val!!!

Kim said...

I really need a smoker. Your turkey look like heaven on a platter!

Oregon Sue said...

Don't know why I waited so long to get a smoker. Sure makes food taste good....even mac and cheese!!!!!