Total Pageviews

Friday, November 18, 2011

Hollyweird News ~ Dog Virus ~ Gargling ~ Fall ~ Vichyssoise Recipe

Good 39º POURING rain morning. 1/4" this morning and total of 1/2" since yesterday afternoon. Lovin' this.
 
Demi and Ashton divorcing. What a big surprise.


And this is .... I had heard Natalie Wood's sister Lana has wanted the case reopened in her sister's death since the beginning...
 

And on the news last night the charges against Justin Bieber by the girl who claimed she had his baby have been dropped.
 
 Dollar signs is all these creepy people see. As with the women accusing Cain of sexual harassment. Come on people............................
 
There is a new virus infecting dogs. It can be passed from equine to dog. I get emails from Dr. Mercola and this is the latest...
 

My friend Judy had a suggestion for sore throat from her pal Carol.... gargle with half apple cider vinegar and half water. I have always used hot salt water but gave this a try and seemed to work right away! Thanks Judy ... and Carol!!

 
So, here's a different look... the first picture coming in my driveway from the road and then the house......



Historically this date.....
1307William Tell shoots an apple off his son's head.


1928 – Release of the animated short Steamboat Willie, the first fully synchronized sound cartoon, directed by Walt Disney and Ub Iwerks, featuring the third appearances of cartoon characters Mickey Mouse and Minnie Mouse. This is also considered by the Disney corporation to be Mickey's birthday.

1961United States President John F. Kennedy sends 18,000 military advisors to South Vietnam.
...as a side note, Jerry's Marine unit was sent, tanks, but instead of bein in Viet Nam, they were at Fuji McNair in Japan... back up if/when needed.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camp_Fuji

1963 – The first push-button telephone goes into service.

1970 – U.S. President Richard Nixon asks the U.S. Congress for $155 million USD in supplemental aid for the Cambodian government.

1978 – In Jonestown, Guyana, Jim Jones led his Peoples Temple cult to a mass murder-suicide that claimed 918 lives in all, 909 of them in Jonestown itself, including over 270 children. Congressman Leo J. Ryan is murdered by members of the Peoples Temple hours earlier.

1999 – In College Station, Texas, 12 are killed and 27 injured at Texas A&M University when the 59-foot-tall (18 m) Aggie Bonfire, under construction for the annual football game against the University of Texas, collapses at 2:42am.


And births this date include.....
1908Imogene Coca, American actress and comedian (d. 2001)
Such a funny lady ... with Sid Caesar.

1939 – Brenda Vaccaro, American actress


 
 
 
 
She and Michael Douglas dated....




1942Linda Evans, American actress
 
Such a shame when beautiful people use plastic surgery!

1968 – Owen Wilson, American actor and film-writer
Then... there is this guy with the crooked nose and NEEDS plastic surgery! He certainly can afford Hollywood's finest surgeons!
This is a funny bit about his nose:

2001 - JAKE... owner of Erika and Spencer LOL!
HAPPY BIRTHDAY SWEET JAKE BOY!!!
Maggie sends licks.

 
Ya know, soapbox time, I just can't get into all this whining that is going on about the weather and the effects of the weather and all the leaves everyone has to clean up. For Heaven's sake, here in So Oregon we live in one of the most beautiful places in the world. Look around people and enjoy it. Stop complaining about it!!! Yes, it will be a lot of work to clean up all that has fallen, but come on............



 
All I know. Nuff said. Ciao.
xo Sue-Mom-Bobo
November 18th
National Vichyssoise Day


I LOVE Leek and Potato Soup. It's traditionally served very cold, but I like mine hot! This is the recipe Jerry and I used forever...

It's in the "joy OF COOKING". My book was given to me in 1964 and has many many pages in it that have that particular recipe ingredients all over them!
 In my opinion, the BEST cookbook there is! 
Mince the white part of 3 medium leeks and 1 medium onion.
Stir and sauté them for 3 minutes in 2 T. butter.

Peel and slice very fine and add 4 medium potatoes (I like Yukon Gold) and 4 cups chicken stock. Simmer covered for 15 minutes, or until tender. Put them through a blender in small batches. Add 1-2 cups of heavy cream or half & half (use fat free if that works for you), salt and white pepper (or black) and stir in some snipped fresh chives (or scallions). I heat mine though or put in refrigerator to chill. A good addition is chopped crispy fried bacon.
 
Here is Julia Child's recipe:

12 comments:

Lydia said...

How Beautiful! Scrolling through your pictures I feel like I've been on vacation.

I have a different take on the Cain side story. It doesn't matter. He's not ready to be President of the United States. Maybe some day. When he learns his foreign policy well enough to formulate an articulate position - only then can he be qualified for the job- only then is the voracity of his statements vs the women of any importance.

What happened between Cain and his accusers may not be as important in how he handled the breaking news. Stellar is not a descriptive. If it had been, the story would have died a natural death within the first week.

Oregon Sue said...

Thanks L, re the pictures. As for Cain, I'm not promoting him for Pres, but I think the accusations are so repugnant because it's all about beating him down and $$. If a candidate can be made to look bad by the Dems, they have succeeded in more lies.

Anonymous said...

I heard about the dog flu several days ago....don't want that here!! Leaves - yes I have tons of them every year - takes me weeks to rake up and dispose of - so be it....love my trees - only wish I had the changing colors you guys do!! Joy of Cooking - my book looks like yours, mine was a gift in the late 60's and have used it all these yrs, have many others (200+) have been going through and sorting out, don't need them like I did b4 - as no man to cook for.... have several of Rachel's as well as Sandra Lee and Paula Dean, some on speciality dishes - Italian, Mexican, Asian, crock-pot cooking, etc. Yes I remember yrs ago Jim Harper telling me how bad it was to get his motor home into your place, now I see what he meant.... hope all good with the critters, been baking already today as well as yesterday for an event at 6pm tonite, it never ends....going to concert down below Sunday eve - Don Williams, great country singer, at least in my book - don't hear too much about him anymore as he is older - kind of like "me".... take care, have a great weekend...XO Nancy S.

Oregon Sue said...

Hey Nancy, yes, I too have that many cookbooks. Collector or hoarder? LOL. Before the internet they were my passion. Have fun Sunday! xo

Anonymous said...

Still cool, 56°, and foggy outside. Had a good walk earlier and as usual Jake found a lot to sniff at. "JAKE... owner of Erika and Spencer" How right you are about that :) He truly owns us - heart & soul. How sweet of you to mention him and have his picture on your Drivel! Jakey says thanks and he sends wet doggie kisses to both you and Maggie. I can't believe my baby boy is now 10 years old! He got a beef jerky treat after he finished his breakfast. Erika

Oregon Sue said...

How fortunate we are to have such wonderful loving pets! xo

Anonymous said...

Sue,


I agree wholeheartedly about Joy of Cooking....received my first copy in the early sixties as wedding shower gift. As I recall I had several of those showers...one was for linens (no Bed, Bath and Beyond type stores then), a kitchen shower...where I received a number of cookbooks...Betty Crocker;s, Good Housekeeping, etc. hard bound all and thick. All of those books have spattered pages and worn spots. Wadda set of textbooks they became. Thanks for the "memoryville" moment this morning...I'm busy unloading my cast iron cookware from old stove that will go bye, bye tomorrow.


XO Edda

Oregon Sue said...

Happy day... a new stove. Lucky! ox

Anonymous said...

Sue,
Love all your beautiful trees, leaves on the ground and all. I was just out looking at our landscape. John put off the annual big trimming, clipping and pulling of weeds until January. It's sure looking like a guy who needs a hair cut out there. Very natural looking tho.

My favorite cookbook was given to me by Hinshaws in Whittier as a bride in 1963. It's white and says The Bride or something like that. Very simple recipes and all the simple cooking info a new bride needs. I have put so much tape on that book to hold it together so finally put duct tape on it. lol With the Internet and my recipe notebook I don't use it anymore. It's a keeper tho. Toooo many cookbooks and not enough storage space!

XO Trisha

Oregon Sue said...

Ahhh...Hinshaws. There are some memories! xo

Anonymous said...

Sue, I haven't forgotten the hominy recipe. Will send as soon as I can. Loved the pics of the drive from the road...shots of house, etc. It's like "being there".
Edda

Oregon Sue said...

Thanks, E. Look forward to the recipe.
xo