Total Pageviews

Saturday, October 22, 2011

~ Helios ~ Lobster ~ Little Cutie-Pie Evan ~

Good 42º very very foggy morning.

.... and this one taken on 10-21 at 10-22 <g>


Yesterday, with the best laid plans, I was going to Costco. I was all ready and arranging some stuff in my truck, Maggie was looking at me like she wanted to go, but I told her "no". Apparently that triggered something and she took off, unbeknownst to me. When I didn't find her on the porch I got worried. Fretted. Prayed! We have lots of coyotes up here, and I heard a group of them the other day. Also a cougar has been sited. Got in the golf cart and took a ride up by the pond...nothing...on the way back I saw her go into the front yard.... AND there was a dog following her! OMG. I called Cindy but it wasn't their son, Josh's dog Stewart. On this one's tags was a phone number. Thank goodness. The woman didn't even know "Helios" was missing! She was on her way here right away, from just up the road. ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Helios )

Helios is a Basenji ... a central African dog ... very mild temperment and this guy was soooo sweet!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basenji
 
'Karen' did show up and was grateful. Helios wanted to be friends with Maggie, but she was pretty much uninterested! So, putting the DR back after my name. (Dog Rescue!)


Finally I was out of here, over an hour and a half later.... Took the screen door I needed re-screened to the screen shop in town and off to Costco. They had lobster tails ...GIANT Alaskan lobster.... I treated myself ($18.00) and will cook it tonight. Also picked up some Ocean Mist (California grown) artichokes, broccoli, french green beans (haricotverts), a sprouted rice and quinoa blend (will make an apricot/almond rice dish using dried apricots or maybe dried cranberries), and also a rice blend of California brown rice, wild rice, sweet brown rice, and red ride. What a bunch of healthy stuff!

 
Picked up my re-screened door on the way home. Dinner was leftover soup (yesterday's recipe) but added in some fresh baby spinach. Mmmmm........ good!
 
LOL
 
Later Maggs and I golf carted it down to the mailbox, dropped off the peanuts Dave wanted to smoke, and then stopped to visit Cindy and her grandson, Evan, on the way back. I wanted to show Cindy how much Helios looked like Josh's Stewart. She was pushing Evan in his swing....

Evan is just Mr. Personality. He LOVES to smile. Such a sweetheart. ♥ This swing his great-grandpa made for his dad! Cool.

 
Ok, historically this date....
1836Sam Houston is inaugurated as the first President of the Republic of Texas.
.... I so wanted to have a son with Jerry (a Texan) and name him Sam Houston Maxwell! I know. I'm weird.  But, as it turns out I have a granddaughter named Samantha....  Sami! So, got my Sam finally!

1879 – Using a filament of carbonized thread, Thomas Edison tests the first practical electric incandescent light bulb (it lasted 13½ hours before burning out).
.... what a brilliant (smile) man. Thank you Mr. Edison!


1962Cuban Missile Crisis: US President John F. Kennedy, after internal counsel from Dwight D. Eisenhower, announces that American reconnaissance planes have discovered Soviet nuclear weapons in Cuba, and that he has ordered a naval "quarantine" of the Communist nation.

1976 – Red Dye No. 4 is banned by the US Food and Drug Administration after it is discovered that it causes tumors in the bladders of dogs. The dye is still used in Canada.

1983 – Two correctional officers are killed by inmates at the United States Penitentiary in Marion, Illinois. The incident inspires the Supermax model of prisons.


... And births this date include....
1734Daniel Boone, American pioneer and hunter (d. 1820)


1903 – Curly Howard, American actor and comedian, member of the Three Stooges (d. 1952)


...OMG, he died in San Gabriel and is buried in a cemetery in ELA.

1917Joan Fontaine, American actress

Sad, a life long feud with her sister, Olivia de Havilland.
 
1938 – Christopher Lloyd, American actor



 
1942Annette Funicello, American actress
 


1943 – Catherine Deneuve, French actress
 

I always thought she was one of the world's MOST beautiful women!

1948Lynette Fromme, American attempted assassin of Gerald Ford
 
What a pathetic waste of a life... 34 years in jail.

 
Ok, all I know. Nuff said. Happy Saturday. Ciao.
xo Sue-Mom-Bobo
October 22nd
National Nut Day

 

Boy, do I know some folks who qualify to celebrate today!

9 comments:

Lydia said...

Classic beauty is defined by Catherin Deneauve. To this day she knows when to "stop" something too many girls don't understand.

Anonymous said...

Evan is a cutie! What a neat swing! Also, wow oh wow with the lobster. Yummo. Bet you can't wait for dinner. Fontaine was an interesting read. Keep up the DR work! xo

Jeannie

Oregon Sue said...

Thanks, L. I know you have a lot on your mind. xoox

Anonymous said...

So Maggie picked up a stranger! That Helios is a cute fellow, but I can understand Maggiekins - she just wants to be left alone and do her own thing.
Great fog picture!!
Have a fun day. :) E

Oregon Sue said...

@ Jeannie, yep, dinner can't come soon enough! ox

Anonymous said...

mmmmm lobter tail!! Lucky you! Helios looks something like one of the three dogs next door. That dog can't bark but makes a howling sound. Somebody told me it was an Asian breed. What a cutie. Maggie cracks me up! Goes out to be by herself then comes home with a friend but not interested. She is a grumpy old lady?
Love love the photo of Evan! What a beautiful baby! Nearly as beautiful as Tucker was.

Yup! Keep the DR after your name for sure!!


XOX Trisha

Oregon Sue said...

Hi T. Yes Maggs isn't grumpy, she's just old (12) and has no interest in fisty pups! Yes, Evan is a love. xo

Oregon Sue said...

Oh, and T, read the link re the Basengi being a "barkless dog".

Anonymous said...

Sue,
Thanks for the reminder to go back and click on that link. Yup! That's what we have next door. Drives me nuts when I am trying to sleep in the early mornings and he starts his howl. Strange dog.

XO Trisha