Total Pageviews

Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Peanuts ~ Wasps ~ Peach Pie Day


  

Good (warm!) 57º morning. Today there is a potential for thunderstorms, lightening, and fires. We also may get some rain. Well, "they" said so on the morning news. But it looks like more possibilities in No. Ca.


 
 
 
 
 


And I thought this was interesting... a picture from a cam in Las Vegas...

 
 
 
 








Nancy asked me about the peanut tasting. I smoked one batch for 60 min, another for 90 minutes, and the third for 2 hours. I like the 90 minute batch the best. Will let my friends try them on Thursday and let you know. Also I smoked them with mesquite, so yesterday I smoked some with apple wood. I like these too, but can't tell much difference between the apple and the mesquite.

 

I was having a bad time with whatever had bitten me on my arms and foot. Not like mosquitos. Actually the only thing that was working was taping the pennies to the spots. Then I went into town and bought some "Calagel". It works on itch and pain, poison oak/ivy, insect bites, sunburns... and is a first aid antiseptic, topical analgesic. Wow, works GREAT.
 
 



 
 
 
 
Then I was out trimming the grapevines and getting them off the gate.

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
After some trimming I had trouble getting the gate open as it seems the post may have sunk deeper and the latch was a beeotch to get open.

 
 
 
 
 

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Once open the wasps who were inside came out and one stung me! On the right hand ring finger. OUCH. YIKES.... RUN!!!!!

So........ I put some Calagel on it and pain stopped!
 
 

Then I went back out and sprayed the little buggers with wasp spray. They were not happy. Once they were driven away I had to tie the gate closed so Maggs wouldn't run out chasing Mr. Coyote or that feral cat who frequents the pasture....

 
 
 
 
 

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
I guess I'll look for a bungie cord instead of 'string'
until I can have someone take a look at the latch.



Historically this date....
1891Thomas Edison patents the motion picture camera.
1909 – Workers start pouring concrete for the Panama Canal.
1932Amelia Earhart becomes the first woman to fly across the United States non-stop (from Los Angeles to Newark, New Jersey).
1992 – Hurricane Andrew hits South Florida as a Category 5 Hurricane.



And births this date include....
1901Preston Foster, American actor (d. 1970)
 
 
 
 

 
 
 
1902 – Carlo Gambino, Sicilian-born American mafioso (d. 1976)

 
 
 
 

1955Mike Huckabee, American politician, Governor/Presidential candidate
 
 
 
 
YEAH Mike!!!!

 
 
1958Steve Guttenberg, American actor
 


1960 – Cal Ripken, Jr., American baseball player



1965Marlee Matlin, American actress

 
 
 
 


All I know. Happy Wednesday. Ciao.
xo Sue-Mom-Bobo
August 24th
National Peach Pie Day

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

My first trip to South I saw lots of road sign stops selling " boiled peanuts". We bought and tried them and frankly thought it was a bad joke on those silly northerners. We took them home and baked them.. Years later that story was fodder for hysterical laughter by our dear Southern friends.
After a 15 year hiatus from boiled peanut eating they were served as an appetizer in a little hole in the wall in Villa Rica. We all decided they were edible but tasted more like cooked beans than peanuts. Smoked sounds lots better. A tray smoker on a hot plate would work well too i think. Might try it on my patio Foreman. Del

Oregon Sue said...

I agree, the boiled peanuts don't sound good at all. Smoked are AWESOME!
Let me know how it works for you. xo

Lydia said...

Peach Pie Day? The fruit is going on the list. Will make a good ending to a fried chicken dinner.

I had a book of Giamatti baseball poetry. It got left in Monterrey on a business trip. I do hope whomever found it enjoyed it as much as I.

Please tell me you keep Technu on hand for poison oak and such?

Oregon Sue said...

@L, Technu? I am not bothered by poison oak. I am just bothered mostly by mosquitos.

Anonymous said...

Sue,

Marlee Matlin is sure an intelligent and talented woman. Do you know she almost won on Apprentice? She came in a close second. That was very impressive considering she is deaf but she did a terrific job on the show.

Your peanuts sound good.

XO Trisha

Oregon Sue said...

Yes, the movies I've seen Matlin in were always good. xo

Vanette C said...

Meat tenderizer works as a great remedy for any kind of bug bite or sting.. just put a small amount in your hand, add a bit of water to make it into a thick paste, spread on bite or sting area of your skin and let it dry. (Just brush it off when dry) The tenderizer draws out the poison left behind by the sting or bug bite and eases the itching tremendously. Occassionally I have to do it a second time, but once usually works great. I keep it on hand at home, in the trailer and on our boat too and it doesn't go bad or cost a lot. Been using it successfully since I was a kid and quite often with Girl Scouts, especially at camp. Great stuff..!!!

Oregon Sue said...

Thanks for the tip, Vanette!!!