Total Pageviews

Sunday, July 24, 2011

LBBs ~ Corn Casserole ~ Jose Cuervo Is A Friend of Mine!


 
Good clear sunny 58º morning. Hit 90º yesterday. Turned on the AC for the first time, late in the afternoon. Nice.
 
 
Mr. LBB was looking out at me....
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
He and momma are so busy feeding their noisy babies!
 
 


 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
I have a Catalpa Tree in my front yard...
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
The tree is covered in these flowers that are almost sickeningly sweet smelling...
 
 
 
 
 
There is a Catalpa Street in El Sereno, where I grew up ... north of Valley Blvd and between Eastern and Soto. (Some of you Wilsonites may have lived on that street. If you did, e me.)
 
 
Here is a 'tried and true' Southern side dish. I love this...
Corn Casserole
 
1 (15¼ oz) can whole kernel corn, drained
1 (14¾ oz) can cream-style corn
2 eggs
1 cup sour cream
1 stick butter, melted
1 to 1½ cups shredded cheddar cheese
1 pkg Jiffy Corn Muffin Mix
Preheat oven to 350º.
In a large bowl mix all the ingredients except cheese. Pour into greased or 'Pam'-d casserole dish. Bake 45 minutes, or until golden brown. Remove from oven and top with cheese, return for 5-10 minutes until cheese is melted. Let stand 5 minutes and serve warm.
 (Billy, this would be good with your pork ribs!! Slurp.)
 
 
 
Historically this date....
1935 – The dust bowl heat wave reaches its peak, sending temperatures to 109°F (44°C) in Chicago and 104°F (40°C) in Milwaukee, Wisconsin.
1969Apollo program: Apollo 11 splashes down safely in the Pacific Ocean.
 
 
1983George Brett batting for the Kansas City Royals against the New York Yankees, has a game-winning home run nullified in the "Pine Tar Incident".
 
 
1998Russell Eugene Weston Jr. bursts into the United States Capitol and opens fire killing two police officers. He is later ruled to be incompetent to stand trial.
 
2002Democrat James Traficant is expelled from the United States House of Representatives on a vote of 420 to 1.
 
WTF is that on his head? A dead squirrel???
What an a**hole! He spent 7 years in prison for numerous felonious crimes and then ran for his old seat again in 2010. They, whomever 'they' are, qualified him to run! OMG. What crap goes on!
 
2005Lance Armstrong wins his seventh consecutive Tour de France.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
And births this date include....
1897Amelia Earhart, American aviator (d. 1937)
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
1899Chief Dan George, Canadian actor (d. 1981)
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
1936Ruth Buzzi, American actress and comedian
 
 
 
 
1951Lynda Carter, American actress
 
 
 
 
Today I have a nephew, David, who turns 48.... a high school friend, Doug Gossage, who is celebrating his special day, and Sandy's baby sister Babette (Todoran) is celebrating her birthday today. HAPPY BIRTHDAY to you all!!!!!!
♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥HAPPY♥BIRTHDAY TO YOUUUUU♥¸¸.•*¨♥†♥†♥ ♥†♥†♫♪ ♪♫•♥♥†♥†♥ ♥†♥†♥ ♥♪♫•*•♫♪ ♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥♥†♥†♥ ♥HAPPY♥♪♫•♥BIRTHDAY TO YOUUUUUU†♥†♥ ♥†♥†♥ ¨*•♫♪♥HAPPY BIRTHDAY HAPPY BIRTHDAY♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪ ~ ♥ ♥;)♥†♥†♥ ♥†♥†♥♥†♥¨*•♫♪♥HAPPY♥♪♫•♥BIRTHD​AY TO YOUUUUUUU♥*¨†♥ ♥†♥†♥
♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪ AND MANY MOOOORRRR.....

 
So, all I know. Nuff said. Happy Sunday. Ciao.
xo Sue-Mom-Bobo
July 24th
National Tequila Day
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
(Oh yes!)
 
 
 
 
 
  .•*¨*•♫♪
Well, it's Sunday mornin',
And the sun is shinin' in my
Eye that is open,
And my head is spinnin',
Was the life of the party,
I can't stop grinnin',
I had too much tequila last night.
 
(Chorus:)
José Cuervo you are a friend of mine.
I like to drink you
with a little salt and lime.
Did I kiss all the cowboys?
Did I shoot out the lights?
Did I dance on the bar?
Did I start any fights?
 
Now wait a minute,
Things don't look too familiar.
Who is the cowboy who's sleepin' beside me?
Well, he's awfully cute,
But how'd I get his shirt on?
I had too much tequila last night.
 
(Chorus)
 
All those little shooters,
How I love to drink them down.
Come on bartender, let's have another round.
Well, the music is playin',
And my spirits are high.
Tomorrow might be painful,
But tonight we're gonna fly.
 
(Chorus)
 
José Curervo
You are a friend of mine.
I like to drink you with a little salt and lime.
Everytime we get together,
I sure have a good time.
You're my friend, you're the best...
Mí Amigo....
 
(Chorus)
 
José Cuervo, you are a friend of mine!
 

7 comments:

Lydia said...

I am HAPPY you posted before I have to go outside before the temp goes up much over current 64 degrees.

No self-respecting skunk would wear that thing on Traficant's head.

I like the Mexican version of the corn casserole- with diced chilis- canned or serrano, stirred in.

Oregon Sue said...

Oh yes, L.... I'm positive adding chiles and probably a tad of cumin would be awesome!

Anonymous said...

I remember Catalpa was in my neighborhood, Hillside Village. Think it was south of Rowan, oh my have forgotten more than I remember.
Your birdy photos are wonderful!
Del

Oregon Sue said...

Thanks GF!

Anonymous said...

Copied your receipe Sue. Sounds good and looks like
a step up from plain old cornbread. Cyn

Oregon Sue said...

Lemme know how you like it Cyndi!

Anonymous said...

Sue,
I loved the sound and looks of that corn casserole but it seemed familiar. I did a search on my computer and sure enough I think you have sent it before because there it was. I too would love it with green chilis in it. Oh yum!
Hate to say this but I did like Trafficant. The Dems hated him because he voted with the "R"s more than not. I hated to see that he was corrupt and went to prison. He sure was a mess tho! An unmade bed comes to mind!
L, remember when we were in DC in Miller's office watching the swearing in on TV? You were surprised that one Dem voted with the "R"s to put Newt back in the Speaker chair? That was Trafficant. I wasn't suprised at all.

The kids and I did our "Tequila Day" yesterday in the pool. lol

XO Trisha