Total Pageviews

Friday, June 3, 2011

~ Old Annuals ~ Burn Pile ~ Egg Day ~


  
 
 
Good 35º foggy morning. Ice on the barn roof. Spring? Ha.
 
For Saturday they say it will be in the mid 70ºs! Hope so.
 
 
I figured out the name of the LAPD motor officer. I looked up his son.....OMG, there he was in my 1961 annual... James Alexander!  YEAH!!!! I went through the annuals in order, oldest first...
 
And..... Jon Harting, S'64, emailed me he remembered his last name as Alexander. Go John. He also remembered the older Alexander riding around El Sereno on his old Harley. Cool.
 
 
I am missing one, 1962, don't recall what happened to it. I think it was in storage and got wet ... years ago. Sigh...... I still have my Uncle Lloyd's 1922 annual from Bisbee High, my Mother's 1923 annual, and my Aunt Agnes' 1925 annual.
The annual is called The Cuprite. 
Cuprite is an oxide mineral composed of copper(I) oxide Cu2O, and is a minor ore of copper. Bisbee Arizona is the home of The Lavendar Pit copper mine, where my grandfather John Mills was a mining engineer, which is now an innactive open pit mine. 
 
.... and look, my Mom!
 
She is 3rd from left. Margaret Elizabeth.  And my Uncle Lloyd John...
 
He was a cutie!
 
And Aunt Agnes Mary......
Trying to think of the actress she looked like.
 
 
Ok, so here is my high school picture...
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
I don't look like any of my Mom's family. I look like my Dad.
Enough of that...................
 
 
Jason came over in the afternoon and took care of my burn pile. He used the new fangled  'yard torch'. Worked great. Thank you Patty and Cliff... it was a Christmas gift.  It was great to get other stuff done while Jason minded the fire. Yeah.




 
At least we had sunshine yesterday, with about 8 or 7 rain drops at 5pm....
 
First picture at noon, second one 5pm.

 
Dinner was turkey medallions, gravy, little broccoli, little cauliflower, and little carrots.. on a bed of lettuce, celery, and grape tomatoes drizzled with basil infused olive oil.
 
 
About 7pm I had a call from Brian. He had gone to Portland for a meeting for State Farm. He was on his way home, about 2 hours away. Said it had poured and poured up there and the report for Saturday is for 80º !! Good grief, from winter to summer in the flick of an eye. He stopped at the new Cabela's in Springfield Oregon, about 135 miles north of here. Said it wasn't near as nice as the one in Lacey Washington, near Tacoma. That one has a trout pond and shooting range. That is where I want to go!
 
Then it started raining....
 
Seemed to put that smoldering burn pile right out! But it's smoldering again this morning.
 
 
Historically this date...
1800U.S. President John Adams takes up residence in Washington, D.C. (in a tavern because the White House was not yet completed).
1916 – The Reserve Officer Training Corps or ROTC is established
by the U.S. Congress.
1932Lou Gehrig and teammate Tony Lazzeri hit four home runs in one game, and hit for the natural cycle, respectively. These two feats are both less common than a perfect game, which has occurred twenty one times in one hundred and twenty years.
 
 
 
And births this date include....
1924 – Jimmy Rogers, American blues guitarist (d. 1997)
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
1925Tony Curtis, American actor (d. 2010)
 
 
 
1967Anderson Cooper, American reporter, journalist and anchorman
 
 
 
 
 
Anderson and boyfriend Benjamin.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
.... and Sandy's daughter-in-law, wife of son Patrick...
Happy Birthday Paige!
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
All I know. Nuff said. Happy Friday.
xo Mom-Soupy-Sue
June 3rd
National Egg Day
 
   

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mornin’,



Did you notice the name of Pagliasotti anywhere in the Bisbee annuals? We were related to them on my Mom’s side (the Rostagnos). They had a little Italian restaurant on Huntington Drive that was 2 or 3 blocks east of the El Sereno Masonic Temple. The father owned a saloon in Bisbee.



Also, an Alexander story from 1964 or so…………………………I had changed the intake manifold and carburetor on my ’55 Chevy and was driving it around El Sereno. There was a gasket leak so every time I slowed down, the engine would backfire in the tail pipe. It was very noisy. Elder LAPD Alexander on his LAPD Harley pulled me over on Eastern Avenue and when he got up to the left hand door he recognized me. He told me that if I enjoyed the noise so much that I should run the tail pipe inside the car, roll up the windows and enjoy the back firing without annoying anybody else! With that, he told me to go home and fix it.



Thanks, Jon

Oregon Sue said...

Jon, I will go through the Bisbee annuals and look for the name. xo

Anonymous said...

Loved today's Blog...so beautiful where you live! Burn pile! Looks dangerous to this native Southern California Girl! LOL!
Have a lovely day!

Laura

Oregon Sue said...

Thanks, Laura. Yes, the burn pile makes me nervous too, since I live almost in the forest! I do have a hose stretched out there and ready for any emergency. Right now, though, the ground and grasses are so wet, doubt anything could catch fire.
xo

Anonymous said...

Sue,

It made me nervous just looking at that burn pile. Glad you have a hose nearby.

Your dinner looked so yummy. You do like one bowl meals. Is there a special diet you are doing or just cutting back?

I had to chuckle at Jon's story. Funny.
enjoyed your walk down memory lane and looking at your relatives.

XO Trisha

Oregon Sue said...

Hi T. Yes, I love one 'bowl' meals! Actually I'm on Nutri-System. I like it because I can coordinate my meals with vegetables (some are in unlimited amounts) and fruit and yogurt. I am never hungry. xo

Anonymous said...

Oh we loved being on Nutra System! We did it twice but silly me didn't weigh myself before starting so don't know if I lost anything. What about your Omaha meats? Surely you haven't finished those yet.
John has lost many inches on his no/low carb diet. He really sticks to it for the most part. Does have a little dessert now and then.

XOTrisha

Oregon Sue said...

Yes, it's even better than a few years ago when I tried it. Now they have frozen entrees and they are good! Along with ice cream bars and cups and orangecicles. Yummmm....

Good for John! xo

Lydia said...

Good afternoon! There are annuals on-line. You might try that or leave the missing annual on eBay. never know what will pop up.

Oregon Sue said...

Thanks L, good idea. xo