Total Pageviews

Tuesday, June 7, 2011

~ Mowing ~ Pickles and Lace ~ Flashpoint ~


Good 53º overcast morning.  There is nothing on the radar but with this cloud cover we probably won't hit 70º. At least no rain is predicted for a few days!
 
This is funny, yesterday I packaged up the old microwave in the new microwave box. Didn't quite fit, so I had to tape it shut. Couldn't find anyone who wanted it and Goodwill said they don't take them, so made a sign that said...



 ...and taped it to the box. Took it to the road and put it next to my mailbox. Then Maggie and I zipped up to PJ and Dave's (in the golf cart). While we were chatting a car stopped and scooped up the box and away they went. It had to have been there all of 5 minutes! Amazing. Once I put out an ice chest with a broken latch and it was gone in record time too!


Here is one of my favorite hors d'oeuvres ... gherkins wrapped with Swiss lace cheese. Low low in calories, wonderful taste of cheese and the crunch of the pickle. Yummmmmm....



Yesterday it was warm, 75º at least. I went to town for gasoline for the lawn tractor and came home and mowed for over 3 hours. Still not finished. My paid help, Jason, was here and he weed-eated for 5 hours. He was exhausted, but everything is looking nice. What a help having Jason here. Sure saves me a lot of work, as I woke up this morning and my back was stiff as a board. Will take it easy today! Here is the afternoon sky at quarter to 5 and  where I mowed...... and have yet to mow....



Historically this date....


1942 – World War II: Japanese soldiers occupy the American islands of Attu and Kiska, in the Aleutian Islands off Alaska.
1944 – World War II: The steamer Danae carrying 350 Cretan Jews and 250 Cretan partisans is sunk without survivors off the shore of Santorini.
1944 – World War II: Battle of Normandy – At Abbey Ardennes members of the SS Division Hitlerjugend massacre 23 Canadian prisoners of war.
1965 – The Supreme Court of the United States hands down its decision in Griswold v. Connecticut, effectively legalizing the use of contraception by married couples.
 AMEN!
1991Mount Pinatubo explodes generating an ash column 7 kilometres (4.3 mi) high.

And births this date include....
1837Alois Hitler, father of Adolf Hitler (d. 1903)


Interesting read. UGLY man. Promiscuious. And the name Hitler was not spelled that way...it was changed from Hiedler.

1848Paul Gauguin, French painter (d. 1903)
 








self-portrait. His Titian pictures are interesting and colorful. He was friends with Van Gough, two depressed and partially insane artists!  
1909 – Jessica Tandy, English-born American actress (d. 1994)
 
  With husband Hume Cronyn.
I liked her movies! Driving Miss Daisy... Fried Green Tomatoes...and, *batteries not included.
1917 – Dean Martin, American singer and actor (d. 1995)






What a velvet voice!
1940Tom Jones, Welsh singer









The boy has a voice and had some 'moves', but not a good looking older man!

1952Liam Neeson, Northern Irish actor


Today will be wrought with excitement... I have to grocery shop and clean the porch furniture.
Watched an interesting show last

night ... Flashpoint. I liked it!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flashpoint_(TV_series) This will be their 4th season. How did I miss it for so long?? Except for the pretty girl in the show, Amy Jo Johnson born in Massachusetts  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amy_Jo_Johnson , all are Canadians. Interesting. Anyway, good cop show, takes place in Canada ....


"Flashpoint is about a fictional elite tactical unit, called the Strategic Response Unit (SRU), within a Canadian metropolitan police force (styled on the Toronto Police Emergency Task Force[4]). The SRU are tasked to resolve extreme situations that regular officers are not trained to handle including hostage-taking, bomb threats and heavily armed criminals. Equipped with high-tech tools and a cache of weapons and explosives, members use negotiation tactics and intuition to try to avoid the use of force."

I hope your day is a good one! Nuff said. Ciao.
xo Mom-Soupy-Sue
June 7th
National Chocolate Ice Cream Day





9 comments:

Vanette C said...

Ooo.. Bryers Chocolate is is at the top of my favorite list for ice cream... so rich and creamy... Yummo.!!! Guess I'll be stopping by the grocery store today after I drop off my payments to local utility companies. We pay them in person cause all our mail gets sent out to Vegas for processing and it can take 3 weeks to get back to a P O Box here... Easier to save the postage and just drop it off myself. Incoming mail is great, out going, Too slow. It's a trade off to living in a beautiful and quiet rural town. I will also watch for Flashpoint.. missing "24" so it may be a good alternative. We also have the full DVD series of the Dean Martin Comedy Hour we enjoy watching often.. so funny and so many stars. Thanks for the updates. Your place looks great. Hope you have a great day...!!!

Lydia said...

I am going to try to ignore it being National Ice Cream Day:- I will stick with pickles...

I hadn't noticed how much Liam Neeson's eyes resemble my Reno's....

The list you sent yesterday- Trisha was asking on my blog if you know where it originated. Could it be you?

Anonymous said...

Good idea putting unwanted but useful items out at the road. We have also put things out next to trash cans on the curb and by morning they were gone. We have some stuff out of Kevin's room I think I will do that with them.
He has a giant telescope in there that Deb bought him their first Christmas together. It is sure in the way. I would love to sell it but don't dare. It's an expensive one! What was she thinking??
Love those red topped flowers. Can't remember now what you called them but I don't remember ever seeing that variety before.
Happy mowing when your back feels up to it!

XO Trisha

Oregon Sue said...

Oh yes,Vanette, chocolate ice cream! My fav too. There are some inconveniences to living rural, but I'll take them any day over the city crunch! I'm sure you will enjoy Flashpoint. New season starts the 17th on CBS. Here's a link..

http://www.cbs.com/primetime/flashpoint/

Oregon Sue said...

Re the "good advice" list, not me. And no name on it as to the author. Too bad, they need to get the credit.

Oregon Sue said...

Here's an idea, T, donate the telescope to the local school. I'm sure there is a science teacher that would love to have it. The flowers are "Red Hot Pokers" or 'Torch Lily'.
I'm sure your local nursery would have them.

Anonymous said...

Good idea re the telescope Sue! However, I can't give it away without permission from Kev and Deb. I would hate to upset her since she bought it. It had to have cost her a bundle as it's a big heavy very impressive one.
I will broach the subject and see what they say! I know!!! A sure way to get them agree is to tell them they have to take it back to their apartment! LOL The tripod speads out and takes up soooo much room!
Tks!
XO Trisha

Anonymous said...

Mount Pinatubo

1991 – Mount Pinatubo explodes generating an ash column 7 kilometers (4.3 mi) high.

I have been over to Zambales twice since that eruption.

The ash and mud filled a big deep river so now it is shallow and very wide.
It buried an entire village of aborigines. It was forty feet down in sort of a canyon.
It buried an entire forest of Ebony Trees that was owned by the grand-father of my friend.

You can go on the Zambales beaches on the South China Sea and still pick up thousands of small, round lava stones about the size of a quarter .

I have not seen the crater but it is filled with water and is a lake. The jungle has closed up around most all the area damaged by the eruption. Hard to tell what it was like then unless you lived thru it. It is pretty much healed up, and a lot faster than St Helens.
Lynn

Oregon Sue said...

Oh Lynn, thanks for that. So interesting! On my bucket list to travel in that area one day. xo