Total Pageviews

Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Flag Day ~ Bluebirds ~ Ben Hunt ~ Strawberry Shortcake



Good 46º sunny clear morning. What a change!

Today is the 165th day of the year. Only 200 more remaining until the end of 2011. Christmas shopping started anyone???

Today is my wedding anniversary with Jerry. Would have been our 36th. :o(
 
Today is Flag Day...
Today is also my friend, Leah and her hubby Kelly's anniversary!
HAPPY ANNIVERSARY KIDS!!!








Yesterday I was so tired I did NOTHING! Actually I had a glass of wine at noon and took a nap in my chair! Nice. Maggie and I took a ride in the golf cart to close the gate, put out trash (thanks for putting out the trash can on Sunday Dave & PJ!!) and collected mail. I worked a little on pictures, but was not in the mood.

And Maggie was exhausted too. She laid on the porch with her head on the rail...

She didn't even want anything to eat until the afternoon.
Aaron and Marie left at 10:15 and their first stop was Redding and In-N-Out. They will be gone two weeks and return through San Francisco and up the coast.
Sitting here at my desk I am watching a blue bird making a nest in the box where the Tree Swallows were. The Swallows were out in the garden a week ago with their two babies and have since left.







My friend, Ben Hunt, former Deputy on our department sent me this picture of him in the early 60's ... studly young man.... serious.
















Found his picture in the department annual...




 Still serious! I bet he smiles at his new puppies though!!!!










 My artichokes are growing like mad, all that rain we've had this year...



And last evening the moon was out in all it's glory....



Historically this date....
1777 – The Stars and Stripes is adopted by Congress as the Flag of the United States.
1789 – Whiskey distilled from maize is first produced by American clergyman the Rev Elijah Craig. It is named Bourbon because Rev Craig lived in Bourbon County, Kentucky.
1937Pennsylvania becomes the first (and only) state of the United States to celebrate Flag Day officially as a state holiday.
1954 – U.S. President Dwight D. Eisenhower signs a bill into law that places the words "under God" into the U.S. Pledge of Allegiance.

And births this date include...
1909Burl Ives, American musician (d. 1995)




1916Dorothy McGuire, American actress (d. 2001)





1919 – Gene Barry, American actor (d. 2009)
 

1932Joe Arpaio, American law enforcement officer
 

The "No Nonsense" Sheriff. My hero!!!
1946Donald Trump, American businessman and entrepreneur








1961Boy George, British singer (Culture Club)





I have always liked his songs!!




But then in 2009 he went to jail for 15 months...

All I know. Nuff said. Ciao.
xo Mom-Soupy-Sue
June 14th
U.S. Army Birthday




Thanks to all of you who have served!
And.....be still my heart...it's also:
Strawberry Shortcake Day

18 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Enjoyed the pic of Ben Hunt. He was my Class Sgt in the Academy.. Class 194... He was scary back in the day.. ha ha
PattyR

Oregon Sue said...

I imagine he was, Patty, but it was all done with smoke and mirrors. He's a great guy!

Anonymous said...

Happy 36th Anniversary Sue. You and Jerry make a handsome couple. I know Jerry still has his eyes on you and is proud of your continued accomplishments. Make the best of this day and the future as you go forward!
Terry

Oregon Sue said...

Thanks so much Terry!!! xoxo

Anonymous said...

Happy Anniversary Sue. I will hoist a cold one in your honor and Jerry's memory.

GML

Oregon Sue said...

Thanks, "Gary My Love" !

Anonymous said...

Sue,
LOVED your wedding pic! Oh you were so beautiful! No wonder Mr. Jerry fell in love with you! That figure of yours too...... You looked absolutely adorable and so did everyone in the photo.

I remember well the first time at Parnell School when the principal told us that morning as we stood around the flag pole to insert "Under God" in our Pledge. We circled the pole every morning for the raising of the flag and the Pledge.

Happy Flag Day!
XO Trisha

Oregon Sue said...

Thanks T!!! My Jerry was pretty cute himself! At the time we got married I didn't realize it was Flag Day and I'm sure Jerry didn't know he got married on the Army's Birthday! LOL, that's OK, Marines understand there have to be other branches of the military!!! xo

Anonymous said...

Happy Anniversary Sue! I so hope you enjoy your day! I so enjoy your Blog! Thanks for the time and effort everyday you put in for our enjoyment!
Hugs,
Laura Virant

Oregon Sue said...

Thanks Laura. Sweet of you!!! xo

Anonymous said...

What a cut photo of you, Jerry and kids!


Friends loaned us their lovely flat in Chelsey Square, London. It was at the pinnacle of Boy Georges success. Still remember the whole room dedicated to him with music blaring at Madaam Tusseauds. I recall hating the snippy tea room servers and the bazzilion people everywhere.
That flat was so beautiful, but I truly hate London. Loved the north country, Scotland, Wales. Just different people than city people. Course, living rurally leaves one less prepared or tolerant for being squished in the tube with strangers. Lol
Adelle

Oregon Sue said...

Thanks, Del!!!! oxox

Anonymous said...

Sue,

I second what Laura said! I don't think we have told you how much we appreciate all your time and effort each day for our enjoyment in reading your blog and seeing your wonderful photos! I look forward to it each day and it is always the last of the pressing emails I read every morning. I want to savor and enjoy and comment!

XO Trisha
p.s. That's funny about Jerry getting married on Army's bday. Well, it IS Flag Day too! :)

Oregon Sue said...

Thanks, T. I appreciate all comments and am thrilled to be so well liked on here! xo

Anonymous said...

what a beautiful wedding picture with the family....you looked so darn pretty!! I too loved and enjoyed Boy George - he was very different - but liked his songs. I bet you are glad to have sunny days up your way - it hit 98 here this afternoon, it is HOT!!! my poor plants really take a beating when the summer months come, have to use lots of shade cloth and cover many of them up. Glad you did get some rest yesterday, it is hard when we have company, we love to have them come but we do get tired out!!! XOXO
NancyK

Vanette C said...

Ditto on enjoying your daily drivel blog...great photos, info and food ideas. Happy Anniversary to you & Jerry... He's always with you as you live on teaching all of us that each day you must choose to live. You are a shining example of why we must keep our lives moving and full of activities, adventures & good friends, no matter our circumstances. You are also right about Ben Hunt, a great guy who left mid-way thru my Academy Class (196) to go to the Range Staff. Ben's legacy he embedded in us of respect, honor & courage, prompted our class to present him with our "Guide-On" as a tribute to who he is and what he taught us. I'm forever grateful and fortunate to have had him as our D.I. Also love Sheriff Arpaio. Would love to see his tactics at LA Co Jails. May God Bless America, Land of the Free because of the Brave. Hugs

Oregon Sue said...

Thanks Vanette! I hope Ben reads your kind words! HUGS!