Total Pageviews

Friday, September 25, 2015

Thursday Football ~ Hummingbirds ~ Jack & Gracie ~ My Nanno ~ New Shirts ~ Sierra Park Elementary in El Sereno ~ Salmon/Quinoa Brown Rice/Veggies ~ American Indians


Good 43º clear sunny morning. We hit 93º yesterday.  Slept in today!!!!! Wow. Didn't get up til 7:30 and ONLY because Dude was drooling in my face!
Breakfast mom!!!!PLEASE!!
Last night football..... too bad, NY could have been 0 and 3!


                

If you don't have hummingbirds at your place, maybe watching this will make you want go out and get a feeder...
I make my own syrup... NO red food coloring! That is why the feeder is red! Red food coloring will damage the bird's eggs. Ok, then mix 1 cup sugar with 4 cups water. You can either use water hot out of the tap, microwave it to just a simmer, or on the stove. Mix well. Let cool and fill your feeder. These little guys are just fun to watch!

Breakfast yesterday.... I had some cooked yam, so I heated it. Made a couple scrambled eggs to top the yams, and scooped in some cottage cheese. Healthy and YUMMM!

Today is a special anniversary, two great folks Gracie and Jack Elliott. HAPPY ANNIVERSARY KIDS!!! Wish I had a photo of you two. (Jack LASD ret and Gracie LASD SR ret)
Today was my grandmother's birthday. Her name was Isabelle Dunbar Mills. She was born in Glasgow Scotland in 1872. We called her 'Nanno'. She was fun, so nice, a great cook (oh those shortbread bars!!! and Scotch Cherry Cake!). I think she's the only person in the family who ended up shorter than me! She passed away in 1964. Here she is in 1958 with me, my older sister's daughter MaryAnn, Marion's son Andy, and older sister's Nancy.
https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEiVbaGgj-Npw83pdidhG96wnHsPog5eMIGsmKh2IWNZhIRZtxQx_FG3XSSW1nzD03ct9ei_yD4Dlz1-1xVT64BKxf_QrjdVlYXrgx2QNj_FaNNoQS9dQAJzDWVnZKfPFYgAlBi94t_oGy7w/s1600/Susan%20Nanno%20MaryAnn%20Andy%20NancyMA29279028-0008.jpg
Historically this date..
1890 – The U.S. Congress establishes Sequoia National Park.

2003 – A magnitude-8.0 earthquake strikes just offshore HokkaidōJapan.

2008 – China launches the spacecraft Shenzhou 7.


And births this date include...
1936 – Juliet Prowse, South African actress and dancer (d. 1996)
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-IZe0aMyZ0g0/UGHMeoe6R5I/AAAAAAAAdNM/Xh7DkkDhNxU/s1600/julietMA29074134-0008.jpg
 http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-2AsmgNUvymo/UGHMgBGdikI/AAAAAAAAdNU/ka6R4smyJ1k/s1600/juliet2MA29074134-0009.jpg


1944 – Michael Douglas, American actor and producer
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-7wHS7rdDQ0g/UGHMlJyJuBI/AAAAAAAAdNc/cSsm2Uc3PDg/s1600/michaelMA29074134-0010.jpg


            With his father Kirk Douglas


1947 – Cheryl Tiegs, American model
.... a graduate of Alhambra High in 1965. Known by everyone in town! Went to Cal State LA. (me too!)
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-Kg9gUxbFWHg/UGHMryvrp-I/AAAAAAAAdNs/OXtiyOr9Rlo/s1600/cherylMA29074134-0012.jpg
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-dzDMPlFX01c/UGHMtCdrT0I/AAAAAAAAdN0/o69FuR0NPvQ/s1600/cheryl2MA29074134-0013.jpg



1951 – Mark Hamill, American actor
.... boy, you tend to remember him in Star Wars ..so young!
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-DtsWqXK6ey4/UGHMyr8UwqI/AAAAAAAAdN8/-UGJTfZdjLM/s1600/markMA29074134-0014.jpg
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-I_ZJ0OvVoPE/UGHM0APF0hI/AAAAAAAAdOE/9JhnAFlyaNQ/s1600/mark2MA29074134-0015.jpg



1952 – Christopher Reeve, American actor (d. 2004)
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-CO2kPtsX-qA/UGHM4CZI1XI/AAAAAAAAdOM/1PBxRFrU_NA/s1600/christopherMA29074134-0016.jpg



1961 – Heather Locklear, American actress and model
... graduated from Newberry Park High in Thousand Oaks and went to UCLA
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-g8h0DGsjr9o/UGHM840TnZI/AAAAAAAAdOU/6V05Tgaf0hk/s1600/heatherMA29074134-0017.jpg



1969 – Catherine Zeta-Jones, Welsh actress
.....she shares the same birthday as her husband, Michael Douglas!
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-hyg-ocpxS4Q/UGHNA2DtyiI/AAAAAAAAdOc/k6g4S-iiaYU/s1600/catherineMA29074134-0018.jpg



1973 – Bridgette Wilson, American actress
....wow, born in Gold Beach Or! (LOL, people are really born in Gold Beach???) Married to Pete Sampras, tennis player.
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-pr6ih_TEJ0o/UGHNFtnimUI/AAAAAAAAdOk/fMi-BAbVJv8/s1600/bridgetteMA29074134-0019.jpghttp://4.bp.blogspot.com/-fIwaZLMzOMw/UGHNHB090_I/AAAAAAAAdOs/Fn7vTMjskCs/s1600/bridgette2MA29074134-0020.jpg


I received my shirts I ordered from www.Sunfrog.com  They have a zillion shirts and loved these two... I had worked for UPS at one time so thought this one was fun and I liked the cat:
I told Jennifer about the rearranged letters on the UPS shirt and she wanted me to order one for her UPS driver.

In the blog about the nostalgia where my grandmother used to live and how it's changed, I got comments from Linda (Kretzinger) Price, who said she had been by our old grammar school, Sierra Park, not long ago and it was totally demolished and rebuilt...  I took pictures in 1966 of the aftermath of the fire there... the infamous front wall:

Vaquero Ave side:
Kindergarten:

Where we'd have assemblies:


Mrs. Jesse Rector, my 5th grade teacher and I on the playground... 1955.

And Linda (Watterlond) Terror and I with our Safety Monitor badges hanging from our belts:

Now, here is the new school (pictures compliments of Google Earth)... still that wall in front:

And the Vaquero Ave side:

Dinner was sauteéd fresh  mushrooms and coleslaw. I added in some tater tots just to cook so I could use them with eggs today. I used O Olive oil Olive and Basil ...


Took out the tater tots and set aside and added the coleslaw...
Then in went a can of salmon...
I cooked the Quinoa & Brown rice in their packet in the micro for 90 seconds (a Costco thing) and added in...
After all had heated well I added in a package of fresh baby spinach, drizzled with a tad more olive oil and let steam..
Cooked some corn. Dished it up. In the fridge I had a half avocado I had sprayed with cooking spray like Brooklyn Vivia said to and it wasn't brown! Drizzled on a tad of lemon juice. Voilá. GOOD!!!!!!!

Watched some of the football game but don't like the NY Giants (Eli in particular!) so watched a couple episodes of Blue Bloods. Chair. Wine. Nice.
All I know. Happy TGIF. Nuff said. Ciao.
xo Sue Mom Bobo
September 25th
Native American Indian Day
My Jerry was 1/4 Cherokee.

This day is set aside to honor and celebrate Native Americans, the first Americans to live in the U.S. Still commonly referred to as American Indians, the term "Native Americans" has been used in recent years as a sign of respect and recognition that they were indeed the first people to populate our great and wonderful nation.
By the time the first explorers and settlers arrived from Europe, Native Americans had populated the entire North American continent, from the Atlantic to the Pacific, and from the Gulf of Mexico all the way to the northern reaches of Canada.
We encourage you to spend this day, learning about Native Americans, the true original settlers in America.
Famous Indians and Tribes: (click on the underlined)
]

More Information:


4 comments:

Lydia said...

I still have the American Indian cookbook we picked up 1/4 century ago. It has lots of recipes for corn.

It's nice to drive by my old elementary school. It looked so big when I was 6. Perspective changes with time, doesn't it.

LOVE hummingbirds. I use Bakers Sugar- it dissolves more easily than regular sugar- I'm basically impatient):-

Oregon Sue said...

OK, L, 'God grant me patience ... and I want it RIGHT NOW!' xo

Anonymous said...

Well John mixes up food for our flock of Hummers around here twice a day Two regular sizes and one jumbo size. He keeps all the fixins sitting in the laundry room deep sink and on my dryer. grrrrr

He has never used hot water. Just regular sugar and regular tap water. They are rooting for themselves while John is on his trip. I don't do the feeders so they will have to wait for him :) They were going nuts out there for awhile flying back and forth from one empty feeder to another. They will just have to renew their hunting skills until Sunday morning. :)

XO Trisha

Oregon Sue said...

Poor little hummers!!! xo