Total Pageviews

Saturday, December 27, 2014

Summit ~ Errands/The Haul/Eagles/Afternoon of Fun ~ Crockpot Turkey Breast ~ Trish Bowler


Good 38º foggy morning.
The snow on the summit is melting...

 
Yesterday I stopped at Brian's office ...
...then off to Safeway. Surprise of all surprises I saw an old friend in there I hadn't seen since 1998! Don Bear! He's ret. LASD and worked at Temple with Jerry. He also had magician skills and would put on magic shows for our Cub Scout troop (Jerry was Cub Master and I was Den Mother!). How fun to chat. He told me he thought he saw the Patterson's going in the store. I found them, Bill and Jeannie doing a quick shopping tour. Chaka was in their car so I gave her a treat. Brian had said my car NEEDED washing. Fine. So I drove through the car wash...



See Bri... all clean!

Then to PetCo for jerky treats for Dude. Got a call from Jeannie saying to meet them for a glass of wine. We met at the new spot in town, The Haul ...
They have a seating bar that goes across the front and you can watch all the activity outside. Fun. We saw two odd looking characters walk by and then along came a GP policeman and a plain clothed detective behind them. They saw us in the window and I waved to the poleeece! He smiled and pointed at the "characters" they were following! LOL.   

I took this picture of the inside... industrial not fancy, and got stares from the woman in yellow! Ha ha ha....
Going back soon to try their food. Looked and smelled good! In the summer the restaurant folks said they raise the two sliding glass doors so it's like sitting outside and they have a barbecue pit out there. Neat!
 
We ran into friends of B&J's, Nick (their vet) and his son James (studying to be a vet). Such nice people. They were heading to the Eagles to play pool so we went there too.


My little pocket camera doesn't do the best in low light and with moving objects....

Ran into two others ... John (who owns B&J's dog Chaka's brother.. he also worked at one time at the Elks) 

and Brent who worked at the Elks. Hadn't seen Brent in a long time and didn't recognize him with the beard!

We had a very enjoyable afternoon gabbing with friends!

Then home to Dude and the Bruise and dinner. I had put a turkey breast in the crockpot. Mixed onion soup mix and cranberry sauce and topped it with that. Cooked 8 hours on low. Use either jellied or whole cranberries.




Yeah, now for turkey sandwiches!!!

 
 
Today is a special birthday... good friend Trish Bowler is celebrating (wife of John, LASD ret). HAPPY BIRTHDAY GIRLFRIEND!!! Trish with her new grandson, Christian.

 
Historically this date
1968 – Apollo ProgramApollo 8 splashes down in the Pacific Ocean, ending the first orbital manned mission to the Moon.

1978 – Spain becomes a democracy after 40 years of dictatorship.


 
And births this date include....
1822 – Louis Pasteur, French scientist (d. 1895)
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-h0cgHvNEQwE/TvnukraikOI/AAAAAAAAP8Y/bZYHVtmVG0s/s1600/louisMA28913601-0020.jpg


1901 – Marlene Dietrich, German actress and singer (d. 1992)
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-_Gk4EFh8hcU/Tvnun68-USI/AAAAAAAAP8k/-5QwYc1LbDk/s1600/marleneMA28913601-0021.jpg


1948 – Gérard Depardieu, French actor

He's an interesting character... happy go lucky, friendly, and well liked by everyone in his vicinity.
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-VqrRcXUnn0s/TvnurdxXcRI/AAAAAAAAP8w/speLQH_feqM/s1600/gerard-depardieuMA28913601-0022.jpg
 
 
All I know. Happy Saturday. Nuff said. Ciao.
xo Sue Mom Bobo
December 27th
National Fruit Cake Day


Today is National Fruitcake Day. The most maligned food in America is not cilantro. It is fruitcake.
But yes, Virginia, there is great fruitcake—the kind that, 100 and 200 years ago, people had reason to celebrate—and not just at Christmas. It was the wedding cake of choice.
Personally I LOVE fruitcake. I like to make or buy the dense cake, drizzle on rum or whiskey every day for a week. OMGOOOOOD! I know most of you don't like fruitcake... your loss. I think PJ's Dave and I are the only ones left on the planet who like it!

10 comments:

Lydia said...

Happy birthday, Trisha.

Gerard Depardieu is like whiskey- an acquired taste. I love his acting- but with friends like Putin- I'm skeptical how much I would like him for a friend.

A sophisticated older man (Jeff was 18 to my 17) taught me to pour thick, fresh cream over the fruitcake. He introduced it as the European way. Other than possibly to use for a hockey puck- it is the best way to serve.

Anonymous said...

Oh I do not know how so many folks dislike fruitcake. Especially the Collins Street Texas Bakery Deluxe fruit cake. The best in the world! I sent out several this year. One of the gifts I sent to Becky's parents. Daryl said to me "WHAT? Mexicans don't eat fruit cake"! HA! They loved it! :) Also one to my long time friend State Senator Bob Huff. Also to Debbie's mother. (Hope the Cubans like fruit cake :)

Thank you for the birthday shout out! You know, I must admit I woke this morning and headed out here curious to see what photo you would post on your blog for my bday. LOVE that you used that one. Love that baby boy!

Oh girl, you are a social butterfly! You meet friends every where you go! So happy about that!

Hugs and thank you again for that and for the hilarious video bday card!

XOXO Trisha

Oregon Sue said...

No thanks, L, re cream on fruitcake. Rum is best! xo

Trish, that is a GREAT photo of you and Christian! Flattering to you both.

As for "social butterfly" I talk to everyone! Just ask Jeannie! She says, "no eye contact" but I can't help it. Such fun to make a new friend! Glad you loved the card. I could post it on your FB page if you like! xoox

Anonymous said...

no you are not...I enjoy fruitcake as well, have one waiting for me at home, might add some rum or?? to it b4 hand. sounds like you had a fun day, good to get out and enjoy time with friends now and then....and you have lots of friends up that way... stay warm and safe and enjoy the week...do you believe New Years is so close?? wow, wish I was smarter sooner...N

Oregon Sue said...

YEAH, Nancy loves fruitcake too! Must be our generation! LOL. xoxo

Anonymous said...



So, there are now 3 of us on the planet who like fruit cake,
or at least most versions of it. I like the dark solid cake with
bits of red and green cherries plus nuts. Pour some dark
rum over the warm cake.... YUM, YUM !
I may have to put my baking skills to the test...

My Christmas mince pie was a hit. Made it from scratch and
was concerned about consistency of the filling. But, it all came
out of the oven great... most of the guests enjoyed it with warm
hard sauce poured over the slice... or two slices. no pie left
at the end of the party. Greg

Oregon Sue said...

Your pie sounded good. Mince pie is something that not everyone likes either. I do!!! And now there are 4 of us who like fruitcake! xo

Anonymous said...

We like fruit cake, especially Jack Daniels Fruit Cake, you can’t find it every where, we found at the Harris Ranch Store on I-5 near Coalinga, CA. We have bought a standard fruit cake and doctored it up with some booze, it comes out OK...Dave

Anonymous said...

Sue, you and I are so alike re being social. I too talk to everyone. Why not be friendly I say. I welcome everyone when they come to our club meetings and want to make everyone welcomed and comfortable. Even one family member that no one likes I sit and talk with her and make her comfortable. I put myself in the shoes of others and that's how I wouold like to be treated.

Thanks but Deb took that pic and she posted it that night.

XOXO Trisha

Anonymous said...

HOOOHRAA for fruitcake !!!! P.J. & D.