Total Pageviews

Monday, July 22, 2013

Smoked Salmon ~ Copy Cat Recipes ~ Hats ~ Grape Salad ~ Linda ~ Jon ~ The Bruiser Saga


Good 51º summer morning. Again triple digits predicted. Yesterday it only reached 99.7º. Oh yeah.


I took Dude for his morning run about 8:30. As we went by Joey's house (first house on the driveway down by the road) he was out on the porch with his visiting parents and waved. On our way back he hollered to me. We stopped. Joey had caught salmon and smoked it the night before. He gave me some. OMGOSH this is the BEST smoked salmon I have ever tasted!!! I took a bite and wanted to eat it all! Moderation...(!)
Thanks Joey!!!
 


My high school friend (notice I didn't say "old high school friend" !) Linda (Kretszinger) Price asked me about a Van de Kamps chiffon pie recipe. I could never find anything with the VdK name on it, but these two sites are fun.

Copy Cat Recipes

Top Secret Recipes by Todd Wilbur
I like Top Secret and Todd. I have one of his books. He's amazing how he can copy recipes!


Trish Bowler has asked me if I didn't have other "famous hats" like the Bruce Boxleitner hat... why yes, I do.
L-R worn by William Holden (Wild Bunch), Steve McQueen (Tom Horn), Ben Johnson, and Jeannie's favorite...Michael Landon (Little House On the Prarie)

Jerry put the Indian hat band and the USMC emblem on the Holden hat.

 

Made one of my favorite summer sides yesterday. It's a Southern "thing". This from Jerry's Texas grandmother..
Green grapes, peanut butter, and mayonnaise. Equal parts pb and mayo..... mix and refrigerate until time to eat.
DO NOT TURN UP YOUR NOSE until you have tried this. Everyone does and then they say OMGOSH it's SO good!!! My Daddy was from Georgia and he like PB/Mayo sandwiches. Me too! But, seriously, try this.

 

Today is a couple of special birthdays....

Linda Kuehl, Chuck's bride and Patty and Cliff's daughter-in-law. HAPPY BIRTHDAY LINDA!!!
 
(Seriously folks, we need a new picture! Get our your camera Patty when they come to visit this week!)
 

Today is also a high school friend and John Deere owner's birthday..... Jon Harting. HAPPY BIRTHDAY JON!!! (Love this picture of you celebrating!)
 


Historically this date....
1933Wiley Post becomes the first person to fly solo around the world traveling 15,596 miles (25,099 km) in 7 days, 18 hours and 45 minutes.

1934 – Outside Chicago's Biograph Theater, "Public Enemy No. 1" John Dillinger is mortally wounded by FBI agents.

1991Jeffrey Dahmer is arrested in Milwaukee after police discover human remains in his apartment.

2011Norway is the victim of twin terror attacks, the first being a bomb blast which targeted government buildings in central Oslo, the second being a massacre at a youth camp on the island of Utøya.



And births this date include...
1890Rose Fitzgerald Kennedy, American Kennedy family matriarch (d. 1995)
https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEiapCtCrWbgogQQd0XKwttjgb8HeaUa5-xhntpEV4cRrGvJWuYnqVwmHKQb83JTZpv2MR2M8s3uHmJZr_o4NaEm0mhdfxKSRAFBRVSoAotU7rqMbxqKrbd4hQkLV7jJ5KDZzxZ7XN21DfQ/s1600/roseMA29039209-0014.jpg


1908Amy Vanderbilt, American etiquette authority (d. 1974)
.... Etiquette? No such thing anymore!!!!!!!! Kids and adults alike are rude, crude, and unrefined! Not manner one!

https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEjXuu7DKCEvY8nK8IocS8UMkrvUNRxx3RvTnHCD9WElTcQ1AbJmW20hiSSnnXeDe60rODsmc1F6FpLKRqy7KhL-l-3pX3dHTjbs3SGIh8sAfKl34AAYB6xOg0GyxohPichBhIXvj-GkXf4/s1600/amyMA29039209-0015.jpghttps://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEj_mBVNOgYLjPJkDxiNdRBr9MSa20regfBvvI0rdLf2A4dRAdqkENkHSKUnaUoC7o3k3bDnA95U3k0LHbhGZVM1jImiLtq8QQsSpUkhogM84kaNHnA1EIaVnvvXPwr0-4Qpc6t9o2RFmCs/s1600/amy2MA29039209-0016.jpg


1923Bob Dole, American politician, 1996 Republican Presidential candidate
https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEg36oTzA7BKwB_ZF7PzASwVG1W3NPJX5c7hRoQmZJYvYxaeYXfBn7zO-okn0b7cPcDhJWgsinUZblU11LmFYpYfDi0q027H6kz4-tycaXceXULo9JYWZpnl_LCd46s7GAdw5gZarTZL3AA/s1600/bobMA29039209-0017.jpg


1943 – Bobby Sherman, American singer and actor
....LAPD reserve officer
https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEh5qrzI1afFWojvOUMuWAFEZ2z835vKWt6rg3nXq9DRC95TazTSpWKCc2u40Pk3R_zbnoljceH2EJKvKg2kzBE2MD9yairC9f6WSCjpUOQg4py_FxRajZFIi_NFzUjpq3mz3pSvXljDkQ4/s1600/bobbyMA29039209-0018.jpghttps://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEhgB8K7XwpuikioaeJzmUi__q2ef_HMuT6N6rSpbp7KGMyl4bbxOksJE1LiGaUgtVDmQ-42Cskj351XK1ZMJvKLyAnK_3Kjl4dBYRnouDtx0AYqB6nWq6NRt6REfW5CsXp8tBrTzxEbeEg/s1600/bobby2MA29039209-0019.jpg


1946Danny Glover, American actor
https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEjqdYipMBuz2E2axW4Hbnaj7FNf3LmQVGo3CGNE4aZePZmRVr91A6Xf7qTWWBm53NFqCrVEOryMW19zAiF9Vw0G6vMQGIrfu8-9Eyi7x-5hQQ-VlGXf9XFYEblRKJJCR89Blc4DJDzlDTU/s1600/danny1MA29039209-0020.jpghttps://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEhUQYcdVJfrkjC_acJU6VIjh4_g982vwJ4xU7gPibE6AASXT8CHqb7yt8O3ZoDTQvZ1VPCLjE18wyfhM6gjqaHRfOukZT0eE7SwOzGRrj-hr5EkE7cNvts3-Pr0-WCOHGOa9nN6BrhDyJc/s1600/danny2MA29039209-0021.jpg


1947Albert Brooks, American comedian
https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEhPC_GVxc4qU4bBE8GEuwPY30Qkqz28ujX5-Y413_5FI-Mhk3bHSQ3KnXSHB21levdSqnN2Wd-3puNYGfRDR1tP0WdFkTVtvL3omtdF_lvPLlLDN_R0Tfxc0c17hEMKG_r-GCqj52TUz3Y/s1600/al1MA29039209-0022.jpghttps://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEgqVXDySIDgJBF0Zrzgrd5R2Eqre7IgyRp1f6nYvWcVLvpkirLAuZT4dJEUzZk2fMTXRYpSOwVQHha6SniaLxsBPFblWf9LmrjX6aPpBQFu6uUtnI7fvTBR5yoHDdRz49eHyfZ394TQsbM/s1600/al2MA29039209-0023.jpg


1955Willem Dafoe, American actor
https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEiFLw3xkvsCYLYb6MEG9TvKlqp9H7oicQNo-B_PMIrSZxnSCe4O0qfzVmRVQOMKtgk8W58THLUoqUNEQ_kaEyrmQOyY7JWtP5vzs8exaLY5DZmPUaOtzkz3Hm_IuToeGc_bnREBsWExOlc/s1600/willemMA29039209-0024.jpghttps://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEgscWmaDvawOGoiv_XMWMMKGb-YSOf95uEYcSOauVP4r3AgDyamDKGDrByEfvV7594WVRKIDfPZDruHpmP7k32RU116eSxSEtpRKyPQ8Xe8jqW39ElrvdTFKxyE79WxN5nHDj3IgJbQqzM/s1600/willem2MA29039209-0025.jpg

So.... lucky me had my camera handy Saturday night while sitting in my chair watching TV... the Bruiser Saga unfolded....
This picture taken 1 year ago today when he stopped off for a drink of water!
 
Enjoy my nutty cat:
Click to play this Smilebox slideshow
Create your own slideshow - Powered by Smilebox
 
All I know. Happy Monday. Nuff said. Ciao.
xo Sue Mom Bobo
July 22nd

Hammock Day
Summer is in full swing. It's time to slow down and to relax. During the Dog Days of summer (and all of the other summer days, too), there is no better place to slow down and relax, than on a hammock. Hammock Day is appropriately celebrated right in the middle of the Dog Days of summer (July 3 though August 11th.
Hammock Day exists to enjoy summer as it should be enjoyed. People celebrate Hammock Day by spending as much time relaxing on it as possible. Getting out of your hammock to get a snack, or your favorite summer beverage is okay. But, it is not a day for work. Cutting the lawn is forbidden on this day.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

That smilebox of "The Bruise" was great. What a nutty cat!
Okay, I am going to try that grape salad. Does look a little odd, but how can it be bad when it has everything in it that's great?
Bobby Sherman, sigh. Always thought he was a good looking man, and I actually liked his silly songs. In fact, I do believe I have his record. (that dates me, LOL)
Salmon looks awesome. Yum, What a nice neighbor to share.
Yes, Michael Landon, is another fav of mine, and I can say I love the picture you took of me wearing his hat.
Off to start my day, ciao for now.
xo
Jeannie

Oregon Sue said...

Thanks BFF, glad you liked the Bruise pictures. He really is a nut but makes me laugh and happy! Sherman and Landon both were good looking! Can't wait to hear your reaction to the grape salad! xo

Anonymous said...

LOL I'm still laughing at the Brusier. What a hoot he is! Trying to figure out how he got down from there without falling.
He's so entertaining.

Now, tell us. Do you have your famous hats displayed? Also how on earth did you come to own them all??

Your green grape recipe looks interesting. Never heard of it before. I have always loved a bananna sliced lengthwise then filled with p. butter, the top back on and mmmmm so good. Very filling too.

That salmon looks marvelous! enjoy!! (I'll bet you put it in a salad next! :)

XO Trisha

Oregon Sue said...

Bruiser just jumped down. He's amazing. The hats are just on top of the large free-standing cabinet in the dining room and a couple on a trunk. I'll take a picture. As for "how".... I'll explain tomorrow. The salmon will not go into a salad or dip..I'm just eating it the way it is!!! YUMMM
xo

Anonymous said...

Loved Bruiser's adventure!!!
Dee

Anonymous said...

Your cat is a hoot! Amazing that he didn't knock off anything, or did he? Joan

Oregon Sue said...

Yes, he knocked off Aaron's picture, next to the red Cadillac there in the middle, but it landed on my "old style" TV that stick out in the back and I managed to retrieve it! xo

Anonymous said...



I like your cowboy hats, I love cowboys. I especially loved my cowboy! Had to out run Ben Johnson around the table, that was when I was much younger and had a husband to boot.
I also worked at Van de Kamps bakery boy was that along time ago. Love your cat movie, very cleverly done. Thank you~Karen

Dom said...

I love all things salmon.

Anonymous said...

As you might remember, I was brought up in the "deep south" and I LOVE PB/MAYO, still one of my favorites. Never had the grapes though.....Lots of ice cold watermelon.....Rich

Anonymous said...

Love the Bruiser Smilebox. He reminds me of my fluffy boy...He also was a high jumper and loved to jump to the top of the China Closet 8 feet up and hide from the other cats....All you could see were the top of his ears....Im so glad that Bruiser found you...

Hugs Ruth

Unknown said...

Catching up on the Daily Drivel. Your grape salad is so so good. I remember Bubba loved it when you made it for us. I'll have to try making it soon. Even though it won't be the same. Lol. I loved that you put my first loves picture on your blog. Will always love my Bobby Sherman. xoxo