Total Pageviews

Sunday, March 24, 2013

How To Avoid Mess ~ Puerto Rican Pup ~ Palm Sunday


Good 29º morning. Sunny yesterday but still cold. Well, more noticeable because of the cold I have!


Good advice:

 
I'm all for that! Feed me. Wait on me. Do the dishes!

 

Boy, this cold has made me cranky! Will be so glad when it's over. I was washing dishes and broke a glass .... down to the floor it went! Then I was filling the hummingbird feeders and dropped and broke one of those! Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr...... Fortunately I had an extra one so the hummers weren't being deprived! Brian told me to go break something else, since these things always happen in threes. HUH? Break something on purpose? Not. I'll take my chances. So far, so good....knock wood!


You have GOT to see this pup... soooooooooo funny and cute!!!
Thanks Tally (wife of Spencer Huntoon... LACO Fire ret... Wilsonite) OMG! Kristen, you have to teach your Java to do this!


 

Now this list threw me for a loop. Can't believe Japan isn't on here!
 


Historically this date....
1882Robert Koch announces the discovery of mycobacterium tuberculosis, the bacterium responsible for tuberculosis.
1900Mayor of New York City Robert Anderson Van Wyck breaks ground for a new underground "Rapid Transit Railroad" that would link Manhattan and Brooklyn.
1934U.S. Congress passes the Tydings-McDuffie Act allowing the Philippines to become a self-governing commonwealth.
1944Ardeatine Massacre: German troops kill 335 Italian civilians in Rome.
1958 – Rock'N'Roll teen idol Elvis Presley is drafted in the U.S. Army.
1989Exxon Valdez oil spill: In Prince William Sound in Alaska, the Exxon Valdez spills 240,000 barrels (38,000 m3) of petroleum after running aground.
1998Jonesboro massacre: Mitchell Johnson and Andrew Golden, aged 11 and 13 respectively, fire upon teachers and students at Westside Middle School in Jonesboro, Arkansas; five people are killed and ten are wounded.
Click on the "massacre" link and it is an interesting read. Sick puppies, both...Golden more so.
And births this date include....
1930 – Steve McQueen, American actor (d. 1980)
 
1944R. Lee Ermey, American actor
Born in Emporia, Kansas, Ermey enlisted in the United States Marine Corps in 1961. Ermey was a drill instructor at the Marine Corps Recruit Depot in San Diego, California, and Parris Island, South Carolina from 1965 to 1967. In 1968, Ermey arrived in Vietnam where he served for 14 months with the Marine Wing Support Group 17. He then served two tours of duty in Okinawa, Japan, during which he rose to the rank of Staff Sergeant (E-6) and was medically discharged in 1972 for several injuries incurred during his tours
 
1954 – Donna Pescow, American actress
 
1976 – Peyton Manning, American football player



I soaked dried garbanzo beans yesterday so I could make some hummus today.

Also, I think I'll make some garbanzo bean soup. Sounds interesting. Not much else going on.

All I know. Nuff said. Happy Sunday. Ciao.
xo Sue Mom Bobo
March 24
Palm Sunday

Palm Sunday is a Christian moveable feast that falls on the Sunday before Easter. The feast commemorates Jesus' triumphal entry into Jerusalem, an event mentioned in all four canonical Gospels.
In many Christian churches, Palm Sunday is marked by the distribution of palm leaves (often tied into crosses) to the assembled worshippers. The difficulty of procuring palms for that day's ceremonies in unfavorable climates for palms led to the substitution of boughs of box, yew, willow, olive, or other native trees. The Sunday was often designated by the names of these trees, as Yew Sunday, or by the general term Branch Sunday.
According to the Gospels, Jesus rode a donkey into Jerusalem, and the celebrating people there lay down their cloaks in front of him, and also lay down small branches of trees. The people sang part of Psalm 118: 25–26... Blessed is He who comes in the name of the Lord. We bless you from the house of the Lord ....
The symbolism of the donkey may refer to the Eastern tradition that it is an animal of peace, versus the horse, which is the animal of war. A king came riding upon a horse when he was bent on war and rode upon a donkey when he wanted to point out he was coming in peace. Jesus' entry to Jerusalem would thus symbolize his entry as the Prince of Peace, not as a war-waging king.
.....it's also

National Chocolate Covered Raisin Day


5 comments:

Lydia said...

I can't believe Norway isn't #1):- Japan- it may be the condition of some of the cities. Anything less than A+ is not going to top the Scandinavian countries where littering may be punishable by a night in winter left outside.

Thank you for sharing the info on Palm Sunday. Did not know about the Donkey symbolism. I just thought it was what Jesus rode but like many of the stories in the Bible, there are many layers of truth.

If you ever get a chance to try fresh Garbonzo beans - do so. They may make me like this time of year as much as autumn.

Oregon Sue said...

Fresh garbanzo beans sound good. Never had them. I get mine from Washington state and they are dried. Way cheaper than buying the canned. Will look into fresh. xo

Anonymous said...

Good morning. Since you scolded me yesterday for not commenting, thought I had better do so today. First of all, Happy Palm Sunday.
So glad you are feeling better. Now you won't be cranky! giggle I know this cold really knocked you for a loop!
That pup has some moves. Cute.
Never heard of garbanzo bean soup, Interesting. Will be anxious to hear how it turns out.
I always liked Donna Pescow. I thought her sitcom "Angie" was fun to watch. She looks pretty good, I think.
Yum, Chocolate covered raisins. I love them. Now I will have to go buy some. Thanks for the drool.
Off to start my day, hope your's is a good one. Don't break anything, stay in, stay warm, get well. Spring is here and it is time to play Chat later. xo
Jeannie

Oregon Sue said...

BFF, you goof! I only remember Donna Pescow in Saturday Night Fever. She was cute. I will rest up one more day and then I need to get out!!! Have fun cleaning your pond! xo

Daisy said...

It looks like many of the cleanest countries are extra-cold, too!