Total Pageviews

Wednesday, January 11, 2012

PatC's Bday Bash ~ Tex Mex Mac & Cheese , Slow Cooker


Good 33º foggy morning. Sorry, late start today.

Yesterday I went into town. Stopped to see Brian. He showed me his new iPad that hooks into his office TV and has all kinds of State Farm Aps .... Really interesting. I'd get an iPad, but I really need a refrigerator first! Then it was off to the Grange for seed and cracked corn. Then to the car wash! I just about guaranteed it will rain now. Always does! I dreamt it rained. I stopped and got Maggie's allergy pills. I gave her one and took one for my runny nose. It's a generic of Claritin. Worked great! Then to Ace for a birthday present for PatC~ Got her a pretty copper accented bird feeder and birdseed. She said she had never had a bird feeder. She will love it!

The birthday celebration was at Double R in Rogue River. Taco Tuesday and tacos (chicken, beef, or fish) are $3 each. They pour a BIG glass of wine, not those little dinky glasses you can't even get your nose in~ Patty and Cliff didn't attend, she's nursing a nasty cold, so it was PatC & Tim, Johnette (PatC's sis), Debbie & Tom, Dave and PJ, and me. Nice time. A lot of the folks in the picture are locals who know PatC (she was a reporter for our local paper) and are customers of Double R. Debbie is not in the picture because she was the photographer for the evening. I didn't even take my camera! Weird me.



Historically this date...
1919Romania reincorporates Transylvania.

1935Amelia Earhart becomes the first person to fly solo from Hawaii to California.

1949 – First recorded case of snowfall in Los Angeles, California.

...........woke up from my nap and everything was covered in snow! It was amazing. Our Christmas tree was out in the backyard and I remember thinking how pretty it was covered in snow. There are pictures .... somewhere....

1964Surgeon General of the United States Dr. Luther Terry, M.D., publishes the landmark report Smoking and Health: Report of the Advisory Committee to the Surgeon General of the United States saying that smoking may be hazardous to health, sparking national and worldwide anti-smoking efforts.
........................... all of you who are STILL smoking...SHAME ON YOU!


And births this date include....
1930 – Rod Taylor, Australian-born American actor
 
Oh my Lord! Whopppen???

1946Naomi Judd, American singer


Tex Mex Mac & Cheese - Slow Cooker


2 pounds lean ground beef
1 cup chopped onion
3 cups shredded Mexican cheese blend (12oz)
1 jar salsa
1 jar cheese dip (I like Tostitos Salsa con Queso)
1 can diced green chilies, undrained 4 oz
1 can pitted sliced ripe olives, drained
12 oz dried elbow macaroni
(I'm making this today, but using whole wheat spirals instead of elbows)

In large skillet, cook ground beef and onion over medium high heat until meat is browned, using a wooden spoon to break up meat as it cooks. Drain off fat.

Transfer meat mixture to 4 1/2 to 6 quart slow cooker. Stir in Mexican cheese, salsa, cheese dip, chile peppers, and olives.

Cover and cook on low setting for 5 1/2 to 6 hours. TOO LONG... cook about 2-2 1/2 hours and put on warm after you add the pasta...elbows or whatever.

Cook macaroni as package directs; drain. Stir cooked macaroni into mixture in cooker. Serve.


All I know. Nuff said. Ciao.
xo Sue-Mom-Bobo
January 11th
Hot Toddy Day
The middle of January seems a good time to observe Hot Toddy Day. This warming beverage varies widely in ingredients and flavor. But often it is made with apple cider, cinnamon sticks, honey, and an alcoholic spirit such as bourbon. Plus, it's a time-honored folk remedy for cold and flu symptoms

1 comment:

Oregon Sue said...

I changed the time on the recipe. I made it and it was going to cook too long. 5 1/2-6 hours is too long. Cooked only 2 1/2 hours. Added spirals and put on warm. Perfect!