Total Pageviews

Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Emily ~ Rosemary/Lemon Martini & Greek Pizza ~ Scrapple Day

Good 30º morning.
Up early and have a chicken in the crockpot cooking for Maggie. Also experimenting with some artichokes in there with the chicken. We'll see...  Thawing out some crab Patty brought from the coast. Will figure out something to do exciting with that.

Remember I went to the ER the end of September for a strained back? Got the final bills. Total was $813. Between Medicare and my Blue Cross they paid it all. Yipppeeeeee....

Yesterday I went into Grants Pass. Stopped at Brian's office just in time to see Jen and Sami. They were off running errands. Brian's agent, Emily, is leaving and moving to Florida. Boo hoo boo hoo. We said our goodbyes and I got a cute picture of her with Brian, which .... I promised not to post!
(See, Em, I keep my promises)

 
I met Sandra, Brian's new agent. Her son had put up one of the scarecrows at Ft. Vannoy School that I had taken pictures of... she said her son's was the headless horseman ... I think this is the one:
Anyway, after that I headed to the Mediterranean for a pre-arranged meet with friends for martinis and tapas. Thanks D,D,J,B for a great afternoon!! D and J had wine. D,B, and I had martinis. They liked the habañero
and I had a rosemary/lemon marty. 
 I also had a Greek Pizza....
( Artichokes, Sweet Bell Pepper, Mushrooms, Sundried Tomatoes, Mozzarella and Goat Cheese) Awesome!

 My friend, Joan, was there also ... with her husband Gary, celebrating his birthday with family. Joan works for our vet's office. Gary has a neat hot rod he drives in local events. HAPPY BIRTHDAY GARY!!!
(Gary's truck in Rooster Crow parade)

Came home, made a fire,
 snuggled in my chair (cat on lap) and enjoyed a cozy evening.
Oh, and devoured the rest of the pizza, to the chagrin of Mr. Harley!

A message from Bank of America...

Thanks Ron Weisberger for this. FUNNY!!!!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

And, also from Ron:
"I spent last week in and around our nation's Capitol. Too much to see and do in one week. Spent some time at the Capitol building and viewed our representatives in action. You may or may not know that a vote came up for the re-affirmation of our Nation's Motto....."In God we trust". I don't know what occurred for it to need to be re-affirmed, but the result was I believe 335 yeas to 9 nays. Sad to say that of the nine nays, two were from California-- Pete Stark, from the 13th Congressional district and who is on the ways and means committee, and Mike Honda from the 15th Congressional district and who is on the appropriations budget committee.

.....and here is the Washington Post's take: (interesting read)

I did some digging and found the following voted against the re-affirmation:
 
Lawmakers voting against “In God We Trust” include Rep. Jerrold Nadler (D-NY), Rep. Gary Ackerman (D-NY), Rep. Justin Amash (R-Mich), Rep. Judy Chu (D-CA), Rep. Emanuel Cleaver (D-MO), Rep. Mike Honda (D-CA), Rep. Hank Johnson (D-GA), Rep. Bobby Scott (D-VA), and Rep. Pete Stark (D-CA).
Read more:
http://nation.foxnews.com/congress/2011/11/01/see-which-congressmen-voted-against-god-we-trust#ixzz1d8DBA5xc
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
 
Historically this date....
1620Pilgrims aboard the Mayflower sight land at Cape Cod, Massachusetts.

1913 – The Great Lakes Storm of 1913, the most destructive natural disaster ever to hit the lakes, destroys 19 ships and kills more than 250 people.

1960Robert McNamara is named president of Ford Motor Co., the first non-Ford to serve in that post. A month later, he quit to join the newly-elected John F. Kennedy administration.
...interesting guy... a Republican, a Presbyterian, and went to UofCal Berkeley!
 

And births this date include....
1914 – Hedy Lamarr, Austrian actress and inventor (d. 2000)
...wow, 6 husbands, 6 divorces.
 
1936 – Mary Travers, American singer and songwriter (Peter, Paul and Mary) (d. 2009)
 

Poor thing, she had leukemia.
 
1972Eric Dane, American actor
............boy, has Grey's Anatomy gotten BORRRRING!


All I know. Nuff said. Ciao.
xo Sue-Mom-Bobo
November 9th
National Scrapple Day

Taste of Home recipe:

1/2 pound bulk pork sausage
4 cups water
1 cup grits
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon pepper
Dash cayenne pepper
1/4 cup butter, cubed
1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
Additional butter
Maple syrup
In a large skillet, cook sausage over medium heat until no longer pink; drain and set aside. In a large saucepan, bring water to a boil. Gradually add the grits, salt, pepper and cayenne, stirring constantly until thickened. Stir in butter and cheese until melted. Stir in sausage.

Press into a greased 9-in. x 5-in. loaf pan. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour or until cool.

Remove scrapple from pan; cut into 1/2-in. slices. In a skillet, cook scrapple in butter until browned on both sides, adding more butter as needed. Serve warm with syrup. Yield: 8-10 servings

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Had a great time yesterday.. Thanks for making it on Tuesday.. Next time I am having the Martini.. only one.. then I will wash it down with a glass of wine... Thanks again.... PS as usual I love your blogs.. Great start to my day...
D

Oregon Sue said...

Thank you D for making the "event" a good one! xoxo

Anonymous said...

Sue,

I like the way D thinks! LOL That's what I would do too. Wash it down with wine! :)

Guess I am one of the lucky ones who has done business with B of A since I was a little girl opening my first savings account there. They have always been great to us.

Ahhhh scrapple! My mother in law used to make it all the time for her guys. When she passed away my father in law wrote the whole recipe out for me. It's in my notebook but I have never attempted to make it. Hers contained corn meal, not grits.
Sure does frost me about the congresspeople who voted against In God We Trust. Judy Chu is a neighboring rep. and I am not surprised! I noted the one "R" who voted against it! His political career will be short lived I'll bet! The Dems's here in Ca., I am not surprised! grrrrrr

Hugs, Trisha
p.s. Love the bag on the head of Emily. Did you photo shop that? Very good!

Oregon Sue said...

You are lucky, since BofA (a former emplyoer of mine) screws everyone and their rates for EVERYTHING are too low. Aside...
Yes, photoshopped the bag on Em. She's shy! I do have a great photo of her though for my personal files. xo

Anonymous said...

Nice bag on Emily's head! Good one of Brian. Yesterday was fun, I think I will stick to wine, safer that way.
I think we should all start wearing shirts stating "In God We Trust". What's wrong with these people?!

xoxo Thanks for the great Blog! Jeannie

Oregon Sue said...

Thanks for reading! xo