Total Pageviews

Wednesday, July 6, 2011

~ Dee's Ceviche Recipe ~ Fried Chicken Day ~


 
Good 55º clear sunny morning.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
I thought up there on the mountain, that speck, was something on my camera lens and I was going to photoshop it out. Well, duh... it's a bird... a crow...
 
 
And, while I was outside taking pictures, Mr. Nuthatch is walking around on the tree in front...
 
They certainly are cute little guys. They travel the tree looking for bugs and most of the time are upside down on the trunk. This is a white-breasted Nuthatch. Many different species are found all over the world, in many different colors.
 
This picture is from Google....>

 
Interesting, today is the 187th day of the year, with (numbers reversed) 178 days left.
 
 
Yesterday I went to GP and picked up my laptops Turk worked on. Stopped in the camera shop and got a new strap for my Canon. Then to the carwash. Home again and couldn't get the laptops to connect to my wifi. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. Sum ting wong. Turk connected them right up to the one at the dealership where he works. I saw it happen. Why in the world they won't do that here! I'll work on that.
 
 
I guess that could be a good thing, sometimes.
 
 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Ok, gang, here is the Ceviche recipe Dee so graciously parted with. This is sooooooooooooooooooooo good!!!!
 
 
"The ingredients are all guesstimates...as I never had a real recipe, just ingredients.  But you can't go wrong..  I named it "Gringo" Ceviche because their wasn't any raw fish in it. Anyway, this is the basic and everyone can create from there... Dee

"Gringo" Ceviche
1 large cucumber chopped
5 Roma tomatoes chopped
2 firm but ripe avocados chopped
1 bunch green onions- chopped
1 jalapeno pepper - chopped fine
Cilantro chopped or cut fine
Green olives - I use small with pimento centers
Hot sauce to taste - I like Sriracha but any hot sauce..
Small amount of catsup (secret ingredient) ... one amigo told me
Salt & pepper - heavy on the salt
Juice from one large lemon (or more)
Cooked shrimp - 1# or so. I like the fresh frozen. I boil, peel & cool them before cutting in half.  But you can use regular precooked shrimp.
Imitation crab meat - 1# or so - pulled apart
  My Mexican Amigos (who gave me the recipe) always used the hard corn tortillas (Percitos) and piled this on top. They also said to use lots of salt and lemon juice (but don't go crazy). It is better if it can set a couple hours."
 
Thank you Dee, thank you Dee!!!!!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
 
Historically this date....
1785 – The dollar is unanimously chosen as the monetary unit for the United States.
1885Louis Pasteur successfully tests his vaccine against rabies. The patient is Joseph Meister, a boy who was bitten by a rabid dog.
... and the boy saved, ends up committing suicide at age 64!
1957 – John Lennon and Paul McCartney of the Beatles are introduced to each other when Lennon's band the Quarrymen performs at the St. Peter's Church Hall fête in Woolton.
1994Storm King Mountain, Glenwood Springs, Colorado: South Canyon Fire: 14 firefighters died in the fire.
 
 
 
And births this date include....
1747John Paul Jones, American naval commander (d. 1792)
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Interesting fellow... a Scotchman, a Russian Rear Admiral, and an American Captain!
 
 
 
 
I so hate to see beautiful people get old!
 
 
1925Merv Griffin, American television show host (d. 2007)
 
 
 
1927 – Janet Leigh, American actress (d. 2004)
 

 

 
 
The movie Psycho scared the beejebbies out of me!!!
 
1927 – Pat Paulsen, American comedian (d. 1997)
 
 
 
 
 
HAPPY BIRTHDAY BUSHIE!!!! ♥
 
and from my friend Ron Wisberger...
This is one of the most moving pieces I’ve ever seen and I encourage you to watch it.  Thank God for President Bush and his commitment to our wounded warriors! 
Episode showing the graphic difference between two presidents and their relationship with our heroes who put themselves in harms way!!!
 
1946 – Sylvester Stallone, American actor
 
WHOA~
 
.... and today is the 28th wedding anniversary of two former LASD folks, Cyndi and Pete Moreno. HAPPY ANNIVERSARY kids!
 
 
All I know. LE/Fire lunch today. Happy Wednesday. Ciao.
xo Mom-Soupy-Sue
July 6th
National Fried Chicken Day
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
The BEST fried chicken (Southern style) is always soaked in buttermilk prior to coating it with flour (and seasoned salt, about 2 c flour and 1/4 c seasoned salt... Bob's is best!) ...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sue,
Thanks for posting that video of Bush riding with the wounded warriors. I saw it last month and was so moved by it. He is certainly a good man. Happy Birthday to him and to Nancy Reagan!

Yes, my Aunt Skeeter made the most wonderful fried chicken in the world! Her grand daughter sent me her recipe and sure enough! Buttermilk!
Aunt Skeeter is the one of the Arkansas Chocolate Pie fame! Best EVER!

Hugs, Trisha

Lydia said...

You know who has held up beautifully? Joanne Whalley. Grace is ageless.

Fried chicken day it is.

Happy Birthday GW- reading his memoir- on loan from Trisha. We need more historians.

But what stood out to me is his ranch is as green as it gets construction-wise. What a man does speaks more clearly than words. George Bush #43 is the conservationist in a way that is beyond the constricts of Al Gore's limited imagination.

Oregon Sue said...

Thanks for the input T & L! xo

Anonymous said...

L,
I have been saying that for years! His ranch is an environmentalist's dream but they sure don't give him any credit for it!

XO Trisha