Total Pageviews

Sunday, March 27, 2011

~ Rain ~ Taxes ~ Gate ~ Pop Corn ~








Good 36ºmorning. Rain rain and more rain.










Another 1/4" added to our soggy totals.


















I worked on my taxes most of the day, while the rains came in torrents. This tax thing is screwy and I have a few questions for an expert. Will track that down today.


 
Tim was here and fixed the hinge on the gate, but now the motor is acting screwy. When the gate closes, it immediately opens back up. Sigh.............. Need someone who knows something about electric gates now.


 
In between, I have been watching the eagle cam...
Today there was an article in the Des Moines Register about the eagles and the nest. It shows a picture of Bob, the director of the project, laying in the nest before the eagles occupied it. Wow, big nest!
... and she fills it up! Big bird!!


We (Maggie, Harley, and I) watched a funny film last night. I had thought the title was so like living here, Funny Farm.
Made in 1988 and starring Chevy Chase. Lots of laughs. I like Chase.
    


I made popcorn, the old fashioned way.. in a pot with oil and corn... popping it and the putting into a bowl. Adding butter to the pot and melting it and pouring it over the popped corn. Added grated cheese and Bob's Seasoning Salt. Mmmmmmmm...


Historically this date...
1794 – The United States Government establishes a permanent navy and authorizes the building of six frigates.
1886 – Famous Apache warrior, Geronimo, surrenders to the U.S. Army, ending the main phase of the Apache Wars.
1915Typhoid Mary, the first healthy carrier of disease ever identified in the United States, is put in quarantine, where she would remain for the rest of her life.
  (... interesting read...all the people she infected...awful life)
1964 – The Good Friday Earthquake, the most powerful earthquake in U.S. history at a magnitude of 9.2 strikes South Central Alaska, killing 125 people and inflicting massive damage to the city of Anchorage.
1994 – One of the biggest tornado outbreaks in recent memory hits the Southeastern United States. One tornado slams into a church in Piedmont, Alabama during Palm Sunday services killing 20 and injuring 90.
...and in 2009 Patty Hickey Oshiyama married the charming handsome Gordon McNaughton. HAPPY ANNIVERSARY KIDS!

And births this date include...
1899Gloria Swanson, American actress (d. 1983)








1914Richard Denning, American actor (d. 1998)







( .. he was replaced by Desi Arnaz in the I Love Lucy show)


1931David Janssen, American actor (d. 1980)






1940 – Austin Pendleton, American actor







(...such a freaking weirdo..thank goodness not related!)


1970Mariah Carey, American pop singer







1975Fergie, American pop singer (The Black Eyed Peas)
  







(..unimpressive at Super Bowl...now part owner of Miami Dolphins!)

All I know. Happy Sunday. Nuff said. Ciao.
xo Mom-Soupy-Sue
March 27th
Spanish Paella Day

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sue,
mmmmmm your old fashioned popcorn looked yummy. Daryl always brings me show popcorn, a full bucket or big bag. Thinks he's being nice to put in extra squirts of butter! YEOW! Tummy problems by morning, if you know what I mean!

I didn't understand your comment about Desi replacing Richard Denning in I Love Lucy. Splain Lucy!
I wasn't impressed with Fergie and the Peas at Superbowl either.
Will be making your crockpot chicken today!! It was frozen like a rock so I let it sit out all night in the sink. As cold as it's been it will be fine. It would have taken a week in the frig to thaw!

Hugs, Trisha

Oregon Sue said...

I Love Lucy was based on a radio show starring Lucille Ball and Richard Denning. Denning wanted to be in the television show, but Ball pushed for Arnaz. The studio execs felt the public would never buy them as a couple. At the time, interracial marriages such as theirs were not openly accepted. Using her own money, Lucy decided to take her show on the road. She and Desi toured doing I Love Lucy bits in theaters to rave reviews. Only when it was well received did CBS agree to let Desi star as Lucy's husband. But even working together could not save Lucy and Desi's marriage. While their love for each other is apparent in many scenes, the show could not save their marriage and they ended up divorcing in 1960. However, they remained friends until Desi's death in 1986.

V. Christensen said...

Love home cooked popcorn and memories of making it with our family, adding butter, and going to the Hastings Drive-In Theater in the old station wagon to see the movies in East Pasadena. Good times... I still have my mom's old pot we popped the corn in and I use it often for roasting, baking or making soups in. Think I'll make some popped corn in it today... just for fun ;-) Glad Mags is eating something.. you are such a great mom..!!!
Also interesting that every day your interesting facts include very large earthquakes in history during this season around the "ring of fire". We've been rotating stock and adding to our supplies just to make sure we are as prepared as we can be.
Hope you have a really snuggly day... Hugs from So. NV..!!!

Lydia said...

Yep. Things change. When my parents married, Puerto Rican and Anglo was inter-racial. Groundbreaking. Now, no one would notice. That is a GOOD thing.

Funny Farm is one of my all-time favorite movies. My favorite scene is when she's cleaning house- dancing with headphones on... the snake. That is a scene right out of family bad day-dreams. The humor works- because it is believable- and possible.

There was something bad in the air for entertainers at Superbowl. Fergie is generally impressive. Not at this event. It was like the entertainment didn't care they were there or what people thought- except Christina Aguilera's shoes. Sad when shoes are the best rememberred part of a show.

Oregon Sue said...

Yes, I liked her house-cleaning scene too. As for the Super Bowl entertainment, they should just forget it. Hasn't been good for years except when the military bands and planes are in it!

Anonymous said...

If I haven't told you, I do enjoy your blogs.

Thanks
Wayne

Anonymous said...

Sue.. Just wanted to tell you once again how much I love your blogs. If it wasn't for you I would not know what is happening anywhere... and I definitely wouldn't about good recipes, birthdays, mating turkeys, etc... Love it all... Thanks Dee

Oregon Sue said...

Your kind words are soooooo appreciated! xoxo

Oregon Sue said...

Ah yes, Vanette, the Hastings Drive-in. What memories. Glad you like my drivel..... I have a good time putting it together. xoxoxo from So. Or.

Anonymous said...

I want to watch Funny Farm now. Haven't seen it! A bowl of Popcorn like that is my dinner some nights! Lovelovelove it! T and G

Oregon Sue said...

(smile)