Total Pageviews

Sunday, January 16, 2011

Rain ~ Fish Stew ~ Dragons ~








Good 47º raining morning.














Looks like since yesterday afternoon we've gotten
So, yesterday I cleaned out stuff.... everywhere... sort of like having ADHD and opening a cupboard, tossing out something, opening the freezer and tossing out stuff there too! Oh look, there's a squirrel!!!

Well I came across frozen bottom fish that Patty and Cliff had caught and packaged. I decided to make Fish Stew.    
   

First I took some Christopher Ranch chopped garlic, anchovie fillets that had been soaked in water for about 5 minutes-rinsed-patted dry and put them in the bullet blender until they became a paste. (This can also be done with a mortar and pestle.) Set aside. Cook 1 chopped onion in olive oil with 2 cans of sliced mushrooms until crusty on the edges. Add garlic/anchovie paste and stir in. Chop 8 slices of bacon and cook until crispy. Drain.
 





 Add all of the above to the crockpot, adding two cans of diced tomatoes. I also added two fresh chopped tomatoes that were reaching the end of their life span.







To this I added 1 box of Imagine Potato Soup
and a couple cups of water.









 I cooked the anellini pasta and added
that and then the cut up fish fillets.




 along with some orange zest...


4 red potatoes cut bite-size and a couple glergs of lemon juice.


I also added 'Rosemary' sea salt, lots of black Sonoma pepper, and a handful of red pepper flakes to make it 'spicy'!!!
This cooked on low for about 6 hours. The fish I used was very firm, and it stays together, doesn't flake apart.

I must say, this is AWESOME tasting!!!!


Historically this date......
1847John C. Fremont is appointed Governor of the new California Territory.
1942 – Crash of TWA Flight 3, killing all 22 aboard, including film star Carole Lombard.
1945Adolf Hitler moves into his underground bunker, the so-called Führerbunker.
1979 – The Shah of Iran flees Iran with his family and relocates to Egypt.
    along with him, his Police Commander, who is the grandfather of Brian's pal Kio. Kio has a wonderful family, most of whom I have met, including his grandfather. Interesting man.
1991 – The United States goes to war with Iraq, beginning the Gulf War (U.S. Time).
2003 – The Space Shuttle Columbia takes off for mission STS-107 which would be its final one. Columbia disintegrated 16 days later on re-entry.

and births this date include.....
1634Dorthe Engelbrechtsdatter, Norwegian poet (d. 1716)
    Now, this not only sounds like a name but a description
    as well!!! LOL
    Glad I didn't have to learn how to spell that as a kid!
1877 - Sarah Dunbar, my "Auntie" was born in Scotland. She was my grandmother's sister.
1878Harry Carey, American silent film actor (d. 1947)

 (The father of Harry Carey Jr..)



1901 – Frank Zamboni, American inventor (d. 1988)




  You only get one guess as to his invention!



1908Ethel Merman, American actress and singer (d. 1984)





1917Carl Karcher, founded the Carl's Jr. hamburger chain (d. 2008)
 






1924Katy Jurado, Mexican actress (d. 2002)







1935A.J. Foyt, American race car driver and team owner





1994- grand nephew, Andrew Mueller. Happy Birthday Andrew!!cute baby dragons!
All I know. Nuff said. Happy Sunday. GO PATRIOTS!!! Ciao.
xo Mom/Soupy/Sue
January 16th
International Hot and Spicy food Day







......and it's also Appreciate A Dragon Day
Scary ones...
 
...or...

7 comments:

Lydia said...

Morning. I was so disappointed when I was stocking up at our local Ralphs yesterday. No Imagine Soups. The broth lines in stock- I could not confirm they are gluten free- which I prefer to use in case my mother in law is here...

There is something synergistic about appreciating spicy food and dragons on the same day):- Thanks for the visual.

Oregon Sue said...

Thanks L. As for the Imagine soups... go to www.imaginefoods.com and click on the 'Store Locator' ...

Unknown said...

Sue,
Kevin would love to know this is Appreciate a Dragon Day. He loves them and has a big collection of mythical ones. Deb refused to let him bring them to their place tho.
Wow! Your fish stew was amazing! Now tell me, did you make up the recipe or were you following one? How many meals would that be for you? Looked like a lot.
I give up. What did Zamboni invent?
I see this was Karl Karcher's bday. Edda and I have met him at Principles Over Politics in Newport. I called him and talked to him on the phone once (for Bob Huff). He sounded grumpy.
Hot and spicey food day? Love it!! I put ground red pepper on most of my food every day.

Have a good one!
Hugs, Trisha

Oregon Sue said...

Oh T..... LOL, Mr. Zamboni invented the 'zamboni'. Click on his name, it's a link and will tell you all about it. All of the names are links.

The stew was just made up out of what I had on hand. The flavors are Mediterranean, the garlic/anchovie and the tomatoes etc. I just add this and that............ xo

Anonymous said...

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup........
;-)
XOXOXOXOX
Dan

Oregon Sue said...

LOL, yes, you are right!!! xo

Unknown said...

DUH!!! Forgot that I could click on the names and read about them! Wow! That guy was a genius!! One invention after another! What wonderful inventions for the ice rink world! No wonder they are inducting them into their hall of fame!
hmmm wonder how many other folks didn't know that. Live and learn!
XO Trisha